Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

Or perhaps it's that nobody on this planet enjoys having people without expertise or inside information spout off and tell you how you should be doing your job.

I'm sure he does -- but that's part of the NFL head coach job description. What amazes me is that he doesn't get a tenth of the media criticism, or a hundredth of the fan criticism, that coaches in a major market like NY or Chicago get, yet he's quick to lay into both groups.

If you want to see me go off, start telling me what's wrong with the educational system today or how teachers should or shouldn't be doing their jobs.

Well, sure, I can do that. :) First, we need to pay teachers like, oh, the rest of the first world does. Schools are also notoriously underfunded. NCLB needs to be taken out back and shot so teachers can actually teach the subject and not the test. If we wanted to get totally crazy, we might even recognize that relatively wealthy suburban schools, poor rural school, and urban core schools all have different needs that no one-size-fits-all approach is going to tackle, so we might actually want to listen to the people who work there.

Or, start telling me how unimportant most coaches are...because I'm one of those, too. tongue.gif

I have you ranked right up there with Paul Brown... :P

yeah but according to that website Chuck Bresnahan is the 55th greatest NFL coach of all time.......I think we can disregard anything Pro Football Reference has to say about coaching.

I will say this again because I really like to hear myself type....Marvin Lewis has the hardest head coaching job of anyone in professional sports IMHO, no one is expected to do more with less. 4 full time scouts (up from none when he started) the smallest front office in all of professional sports (and 4 of them are related to the owner) and the tighest tightwad in NFL history as owner/general manager. Mike Brown's record pre-Marvin was 51-137 (11 years) as owner and general manager and that record spanned 4 head coaches and numerous players. Marvin might be a pain in the ass, his news conferences maybe more painful than watching a Jersey Shore Marathon, and I am certainly not going to say every decision has been a good one, but he deserves a ton of credit for accomplishing the things he has accomplished given that he works for an organization that has proven it doesn't care two Lumina wheels about winning.

What do you know about Jersey Shore marathons?

Since I watched 1 minute of that show once I know that watching a marathon of shows like it would make me want to carve out my eyeballs.

yeah but according to that website Chuck Bresnahan is the 55th greatest NFL coach of all time.......I think we can disregard anything Pro Football Reference has to say about coaching.

I will say this again because I really like to hear myself type....Marvin Lewis has the hardest head coaching job of anyone in professional sports IMHO, no one is expected to do more with less. 4 full time scouts (up from none when he started) the smallest front office in all of professional sports (and 4 of them are related to the owner) and the tighest tightwad in NFL history as owner/general manager. Mike Brown's record pre-Marvin was 51-137 (11 years) as owner and general manager and that record spanned 4 head coaches and numerous players. Marvin might be a pain in the ass, his news conferences maybe more painful than watching a Jersey Shore Marathon, and I am certainly not going to say every decision has been a good one, but he deserves a ton of credit for accomplishing the things he has accomplished given that he works for an organization that has proven it doesn't care two Lumina wheels about winning.

What do you know about Jersey Shore marathons?

Since I watched 1 minute of that show once I know that watching a marathon of shows like it would make me want to carve out my eyeballs.

It was like watching a train wreck for me. It was awful but hard not to see just how stupid things would get. Luckily I didn't get sucked into the marathon long. And I was drinking with friends...on a vacation...so I have an excuse.

The Bengals have reportedly offered a deal to safety Mike Mitchell. According to some dumbass web site, the former Raider stunk last year (-5.1 in pass protection, allowed opposing QBs a 130 rating).

Ugh.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/3/20/4128522/free-agency-2013-mike-mitchell-bengals

Well, with Quin gone, I now look at a restricted free agent

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/stevie-brown-wins-second-defensive-player-of-the-week-award/

He has a second round tender, and we have a low 2nd round pick we'd likely be using for a safety anyway

Here's a guy with 3 years of experience, verging on becoming a star, still quite young but experienced enough to step right in and help us right away, 8 picks last year, twice nfc defensive player of the week. This guy is entering the prime of his career.

I'd rather have him than Elam, Vaccaro, or the other top safeties in the draft, and he's ours for our low 2nd rounder.

Most everyone here wants a safety in the three picks - so why not give up our lower pick in 2 for this proven high-talent safety rather than take a rookie who probably wont help right away

The only downside is he'll cost a bit more than a rookie.....but the improvement to our D would be HUGE and IMMEDIATE

I could get behind this. Young guy coming off a huge season. Interestingly, the Bengals have shown interest in him in the past (as a FA from the Colts)... http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6006/stevie-brown

He's got the right last name. The contract he wants might scare Mike off, but damn, he fits a need and like you guys said, it'd be like getting a sure thing starter with a second round pick. Some second rounders hardly see the field. It seems like a logical thing. Do it Bengals front office!

Well shoot. Looks like that one ain't gonna happen either. What else ya got, TJ?
/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/stevie-brown-signs-tender-to-remain-with-giants/#comments

Brown put his contract on Twitter but he put it on there upside down because he's awesome. Now I wish we had him even more. Upside down NFL contract, bitches!

But, in the end, he's right. We're just a bunch of outside observers reading "dumbass" websites and running our mouths as if we actually know something. Sometimes we do. Often times we don't.

You know what else this bunch of dumbass observers who know nothing are doing? Paying every last cent of Marvin's salary, every last cent of every salary in the Bengals' organization, and every last dollar that Mike shoves in his moldy, circa 1970s Posturepedic. So pardon us if we actually want to be treated with some respect and common courtesy. Remember us, your most loyal and fervent customers? f**k it. Marvin is smart enough to explain basic banking to Chad in the training room, but the more complex route that the dollar takes from the consumer's wallet through the cash register, back to the company that makes the product, then to the Bengals in exchange for advertising by said company, then into his wallet, is apparently beyond Marvin's grasp.

But, in the end, he's right. We're just a bunch of outside observers reading "dumbass" websites and running our mouths as if we actually know something. Sometimes we do. Often times we don't.

You know what else this bunch of dumbass observers who know nothing are doing? Paying every last cent of Marvin's salary, every last cent of every salary in the Bengals' organization, and every last dollar that Mike shoves in his moldy, circa 1970s Posturepedic. So pardon us if we actually want to be treated with some respect and common courtesy. Remember us, your most loyal and fervent customers? f**k it. Marvin is smart enough to explain basic banking to Chad in the training room, but the more complex route that the dollar takes from the consumer's wallet through the cash register, back to the company that makes the product, then to the Bengals in exchange for advertising by said company, then into his wallet, is apparently beyond Marvin's grasp.

I have no idea if what you're saying is factually true, but let's assume that it is.

You pay a lot of people for a lot of things.

That doesn't entitle you to an inside look, but merely a service rendered.

"You" pay Marvin to coach a football team, which he does. I believe Marvin is also obligated to speak to the media, which he does. Whether or not you like what he says seems a bit irrelevant unless you're going to stage a successful protest, which would be an entertaining thing to happen after seeing this team go to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 seasons.

The Bengals have reportedly offered a deal to safety Mike Mitchell. According to some dumbass web site, the former Raider stunk last year (-5.1 in pass protection, allowed opposing QBs a 130 rating).

Ugh.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/3/20/4128522/free-agency-2013-mike-mitchell-bengals

F A C E P L A N T

dear freakin god, I bet if someone did a analysis of qb rating for paases where receivers were not covered at all (cb fell down, assignment blown, whatever) the qb rating would be worse than this

Ugh.

But he is a local boy, from northern KY.

So I guess Ed Reed will be signing with the Texans.

I don't understand there are all these good safety's on the market right now who could have helped and they want to offer this guy a job? Im starting to think the Bengals really don't want any known name guys on this team, or maybe there afraid to spend money!

Oh and what the hell is going on with Andre Smith are they going to sign him or what, I'm just so sick of it!

Ugh.

I kinda felt like Marvin was talking about Bengals.com when he was mentioning dumbass websites.

so am I

but you dont see me covering nfl wide receivers for a number of good reasons

(and apparently, this guy doesn't cover them either)

Hey that's your fault for not getting in contact with the club.

Well, I showed up to try out, and they just started laughing and never let me sign the papers

They were still laughing when I left

You know Charles Woodson is still out there.....I wouldn't mind him at all at S, for that matter Antoine Winfield is there too and I am pretty sure he would make an excellent stop gap Safety.

I wouldnt mind Charles Woodson as well. There are a few good safetys out there, Kerry Rhodes, Bernard Pollard, Mike Huff, and Charles Woodson. I would think they would look at a guy like this. They can still draft a safety high if they want and these vets here could help the rookie out.

You know Charles Woodson is still out there.....I wouldn't mind him at all at S, for that matter Antoine Winfield is there too and I am pretty sure he would make an excellent stop gap Safety.

I wouldnt mind Charles Woodson as well. There are a few good safetys out there, Kerry Rhodes, Bernard Pollard, Mike Huff, and Charles Woodson. I would think they would look at a guy like this. They can still draft a safety high if they want and these vets here could help the rookie out.

I would think a guy like Pollard might be appealing. He might have something to prove after his release and what better way to do it but against the Ravens twice a year.

I have no idea if what you're saying is factually true, but let's assume that it is.

I have no idea either. I just assume Marvin gets paid by the Bengals, who get their money from their advertisers, who get their money from the consumers watching the games on television and buying whatever's getting advertised.

You pay a lot of people for a lot of things.

Why bring your mother into this?

That doesn't entitle you to an inside look, but merely a service rendered.

This is just where we differ. To me a part of the service he should be rendering is treating fan interest with respect. He does the opposite. If you think all he has to do is just show up to coach practice and games, then you are Hitler.

"You" pay Marvin to coach a football team, which he does. I believe Marvin is also obligated to speak to the media, which he does. Whether or not you like what he says seems a bit irrelevant unless you're going to stage a successful protest, which would be an entertaining thing to happen after seeing this team go to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 seasons.

How about if 90% of the fans, also known as the customers of the business he works for, don't like what he says? Is that relevant? The only think I'm thinking of protesting is your inability to recognize the difference between the kind of success that buys you immunity from prosecution for being an arrogant douche (See multiple Super Bowl wins, ala Bill Belicheat), and the kind of success Marvin has had (sub .500 winning percentage, no playoff wins, and, frankly, not even being competitive in a playoff game).

I'm not saying I hate Marvin. I support Marvin and I recognize he turned our horrible franchise around. But I'm also not going to pretend I'm completely satisfied with his level of success, or his superior, know-it-all attitude. The scary thing about the attitude is that it is indicative of someone who is satisfied with the level of success. It seems he can't understand how or why anyone would questions anything the Bengals do. Having said that, Marvin is a good guy. His story about having to talk his Mom down after she thought the Steelers took our quarterback was pretty funny. He's a decent guy, he just need to take the fans seriously.