Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

I still want the guy from Houston as our safety - Quin

I know he lists as a free safety, but our system requires safeties to play both spots, so I want a speedy cover guy

He signed in Detroit I believe.

F A R K ! !

/>http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Glover-Quin-agrees-to-five-year-deal-with-Lions/16c94350-ded7-4e08-9243-466fdb0e57bf

There are alot of free agent safety's out there right now.

Well, with Quin gone, I now look at a restricted free agent

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/stevie-brown-wins-second-defensive-player-of-the-week-award/

He has a second round tender, and we have a low 2nd round pick we'd likely be using for a safety anyway

Here's a guy with 3 years of experience, verging on becoming a star, still quite young but experienced enough to step right in and help us right away, 8 picks last year, twice nfc defensive player of the week. This guy is entering the prime of his career.

I'd rather have him than Elam, Vaccaro, or the other top safeties in the draft, and he's ours for our low 2nd rounder.

Most everyone here wants a safety in the three picks - so why not give up our lower pick in 2 for this proven high-talent safety rather than take a rookie who probably wont help right away

The only downside is he'll cost a bit more than a rookie.....but the improvement to our D would be HUGE and IMMEDIATE

Wow Avril didn't even get close to super Mario like he wanted,Should have taken 3years for 30million from the lions.

Browns May have as gotten him as well...Liking our chances of extending MJ for non super retarded deal.

The Seattle Seahawks have reached agreement on a two-year, $15 million deal with former Detroit Lions defensive end Cliff Avril, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Avril received the Lions' franchise tender last offseason and didn't sign his one-year, $10.6 million contract until a week after training camp began.

Avril, who will turn 27 on April 8, finished last season with 9.5 sacks, 35 tackles and two forced fumbles.

The defensive end has 39.5 career sacks and 16 forced fumbles since 2008, when Detroit drafted him out of Purdue in the third round.

Information from The Associated Press

Brady is apparently totes pissed the Pats didn't pay Welker.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/source-close-to-brady-keeps-complaining-about-pats/

Well he did take a Pay Cut to make sure Wes could stay and then you factor in Elway asked Manning about bring Wes,Where the Patriots apparently kept Brady in the dark...it seems like Brady rather have Wes for 2 Years then Danny for 5.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/stevie-brown-wins-second-defensive-player-of-the-week-award/

He has a second round tender, and we have a low 2nd round pick we'd likely be using for a safety anyway

Here's a guy with 3 years of experience, verging on becoming a star, still quite young but experienced enough to step right in and help us right away, 8 picks last year, twice nfc defensive player of the week. This guy is entering the prime of his career.

I'd rather have him than Elam, Vaccaro, or the other top safeties in the draft, and he's ours for our low 2nd rounder.

Most everyone here wants a safety in the three picks - so why not give up our lower pick in 2 for this proven high-talent safety rather than take a rookie who probably wont help right away

The only downside is he'll cost a bit more than a rookie.....but the improvement to our D would be HUGE and IMMEDIATE

I could get behind this. Young guy coming off a huge season. Interestingly, the Bengals have shown interest in him in the past (as a FA from the Colts)...
/>http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6006/stevie-brown
/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/18/2881956/safety-stevie-brown-visited-with-the-cincinnati-bengals-last-week

I could get behind this. Young guy coming off a huge season. Interestingly, the Bengals have shown interest in him in the past (as a FA from the Colts)... http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6006/stevie-brown

He's got the right last name. The contract he wants might scare Mike off, but damn, he fits a need and like you guys said, it'd be like getting a sure thing starter with a second round pick. Some second rounders hardly see the field. It seems like a logical thing. Do it Bengals front office!

Joe Reedy depresses me by listing Cincy LBs currently under contract:

Vontaze Burfict

Emmanuel Lamur

Aaron Maybin

JK Schaffer

Dontay Moch

Blech...

(In a completely unrelated note, I understand LaVar Arrington is available...)

Yeah, that's a big bag of sh*t right there and why one of our first 3 picks will be a LB. Hoping...

Oh yes, LaVar Arrington. A topic of much discussion here once upon a time.

Vontaze Burfict

Emmanuel Lamur

Aaron Maybin

JK Schaffer

Dontay Moch

Blech...

Don't forget about Joiner, too. Though he may not be under contract.

I respect the Bengals and what they've been able to do in the draft the last handful of years. I also respect what they've been able to do wisely in FA by not overspending and getting role players to be successful.

However, the Bengals play by a model that has little room for error. There is very little room for a team that does not cut bait with players they have under contract no matter their performance. There's little room for a team that takes few chances in the draft and once locked onto a player they've drafted and signed, that player will start for the next 3-4 years regardless of performance.

To win big, you have to play big. It's simply not in their nature to exceed what they see as "smart" or "frugal".

The pieces will fall in FA, the contract rates will settle, and the Bengals will try to fill in some gaps. I hope they land on some FA's like they did with Howard and Lawson. At some point, though, the good fortune runs out.

I respect the Bengals and what they've been able to do in the draft the last handful of years. I also respect what they've been able to do wisely in FA by not overspending and getting role players to be successful.

However, the Bengals play by a model that has little room for error. There is very little room for a team that does not cut bait with players they have under contract no matter their performance. There's little room for a team that takes few chances in the draft and once locked onto a player they've drafted and signed, that player will start for the next 3-4 years regardless of performance.

To win big, you have to play big. It's simply not in their nature to exceed what they see as "smart" or "frugal".

The pieces will fall in FA, the contract rates will settle, and the Bengals will try to fill in some gaps. I hope they land on some FA's like they did with Howard and Lawson. At some point, though, the good fortune runs out.

Well put. I think that's exactly right. Which makes this year all the more frustrating for me because I do think the team has a huge opportunity right now. They have a level of talent they have not had since 2005, and both the big guns in the division, Pitt and Balti, are retrenching. They don't need to go spend bazillions on top guys. Just nabbing a couple quality mid-tier types to cover key holes at safety, running back and maybe No. 2 wide receiver would position them well for the draft and for September.

Well, Mr Still and Thompson would like to talk to someone about playing time.

Besides that, I agree that the Bengals only need to fill a few holes. I disagree that it should be done through free agency. Almost ANY other season I would agree with that thought, but how many times in Bengals history have there been successive seasons where there have been two or more top tier players already on the roster that were looking at sizeable contracts ??

I actually agree with what they are doing in trying to get their own players resigned (see my building through the draft rants), focusing on players that are going to come due next season, and drafting to fill those few holes with younger (and as it happens to be, cheaper) players.

Seriously, when was the last time the Bengals have had players like MJ, Big Dre, Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap, and some might add Gresham to the conversation to resign in back to back seasons ?? I just think the approach they are implementing lately (while frustrating at times) is the correct way to do it.

They are finally letting guys go they feel they have drafted to replace and have been pushing money into the future to get guys back under contract. Sure the jury is still out on Big Dre and a long term deal for MJ would be a better option than the tag, but they are moving in the right direction.

I'm not going to argue about losing guys like Skuta, Lawson, or Newman.

Vontaze Burfict

Emmanuel Lamur

Aaron Maybin

JK Schaffer

Dontay Moch

Blech...

Dansby is out there... He'd shore up the middle FAR better than Rey.