Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

Well, after reports that the Bengals were officially moving on from Maualuga, the Bengals say the report is false and that they'd talk to him about returning in the SAM spot that he played in during his first two seasons.

Interesting.

Welcome to the MLB spot, Mr. Burfict.

He played better on the outside, but I think an upgrade would be easy in FA or the draft.

Well, after reports that the Bengals were officially moving on from Maualuga, the Bengals say the report is false and that they'd talk to him about returning in the SAM spot that he played in during his first two seasons.

Interesting.

He played better on the outside, but I think an upgrade would be easy in FA or the draft.

I think he's worth keeping around to compete for the SAM spot. From what I saw this year, he could still be a cut later on, but he could stay as depth as well. Not sure how he'd react to being a backup, but after last season he should be happy to have a job at all.

Agreed that he played better on the outside, but that's like saying it's better to get kicked in the shin instead of the balls.

Either way, it's sucks.

For what it's worth, moving Burfict to the middle was the plan I wanted to see them take.

Color me happy with that aspect. They will take an OLB with one of their first 3 picks.

Bank on it.

Interesting.

I smell smoke.

+1

Sounds like they will try to keep as many of there own free agents this year, and in my opionion that is the right call. For once can they just keep there own players, the players they went to the playoffs with back to back seasons. If there is some extra money then sign some other guys.

Anybody interested in Louis Delmis, his injuries worry me some, but at 25, and the way he has played it would only make sense, if he is healthy. They need a safety bad, and i like Woodson as well but with Delmis age he might be better.

If the Bengals DON'T sign their own players that have earned a payday, it sends a poor message in my opinion.

To the fans, to their own players, and to potential free agents.

The reason is, because the Bengals preach, preach, and preach some more that you build through the draft and develop your talent.

Well, they've done that well and now it's time to hold onto the players you've spent that time developing.

While you can't resign them all, you d*mn well better make every effort to do as much as you can.

If you don't, your current players will play well, looking to leave at the first chance.

Potential free agents won't give them a sniff unless they are on their last chance or come on the cheap.

The fans should feel like they've been lied to with the whole "build through the draft" reason given for why they haven't spent money on a bigger name or two in free agency.

Again, I can readily acknowledge signing MJ, Dunlap, Atkins, Dre' Smith, Dalton, and Green to high end contracts is going to be samn near impossible, but you get as much done as you can and go from there. You don't simply let them hit free agency with little to no thought. Use the tag and buy some time if you must.

Word out of SF is that Dashawn Goldson has priced himself out of town. I would love to see him in stripes, although I realize it's a pipe dream. It's starting to look like Dre might be elsewhere as well. I was hoping our wealth of cap space would allow us to at least resign our own, and possibly extend Atkins, now I'm not so sure. I think the Bengals will let Andre test the market to reset his perceived value. Hopefully it doesn't bite them in the ass.

Both Dalton and Green are signed through 2014, that's not to say that they won't get extensions next year. Atkins and Dunlap are going into the last year of their rookie deals. I would think they would take priority at this point. I hope Dre is back, but I think we'd all like to see an incentive laden deal. We'll just have to wait and see. Apparently other teams have the same concerns that we do about motivation with him. He shouldn't come close to the 9 mill he is wanting annually.

Both Dalton and Green are signed through 2014, that's not to say that they won't get extensions next year. Atkins and Dunlap are going into the last year of their rookie deals. I would think they would take priority at this point. I hope Dre is back, but I think we'd all like to see an incentive laden deal. We'll just have to wait and see. Apparently other teams have the same concerns that we do about motivation with him. He shouldn't come close to the 9 mill he is wanting annually.

Big Andre is earning $8M/yr now. He's worth the $9M/yr. He may want more, may command more on open market. I don't think they need to overspend to keep him, though.

I don't think he was "less" motivated, just needed to mature. I think he's earned his money, and a raise, in the context of the other RT's in the league.

If we dont retain our draft picks, we wont ever get over the Hump. Good players have to want to stay.

Losing Joseph hurt. Losing Andre will hurt.

Just hope green and Atkins want tostay when its their turn.

Pessimistic. Should I have faith?

Yep exactly, and the more I hear its almost like they are going to let him walk, I really hope it's not true.

As far as Dalton goes, I think he needs to improve alot before they go big money on him. AJ just give him whatever he wants.

Word out of SF is that Dashawn Goldson has priced himself out of town. I would love to see him in stripes, although I realize it's a pipe dream. It's starting to look like Dre might be elsewhere as well. I was hoping our wealth of cap space would allow us to at least resign our own, and possibly extend Atkins, now I'm not so sure. I think the Bengals will let Andre test the market to reset his perceived value. Hopefully it doesn't bite them in the ass.

Gohlston is very good. He'd be an improvement over Crocker, or whoever. I would rather have Elam early in the draft, though.

Maybe look at it like this.

Take a good FA, and maybe lose Big Andre.. But draft a very good OT early.

Keep Andre and rely on draft to address S, RB, LB, OL...

Gohlston is very good. He'd be an improvement over Crocker, or whoever. I would rather have Elam early in the draft, though.

Maybe look at it like this.

Take a good FA, and maybe lose Big Andre.. But draft a very good OT early.

Keep Andre and rely on draft to address S, RB, LB, OL...

I see no reason why we can't sign both Andre and Goldson. Even after tagging MJ, and taking into consideration draft picks and restricted FA's, we have almost 40 mill to spend. If you figure roughly 20 mill for both Andre and Goldson that leaves us with 20 mill. I'm sure they could sign Goldson to a 4 year deal that is front loaded, giving us ample cash for AJ, Atkins and Dalton. The AFC North is ripe for the taking. Great franchises seize opportunities like this. Let's not be afraid to be great, Mikey.

Also, a recent blurb at one of my fav sites indicates Goldson has said he's interested in Cin.

I would love to see them bring in Goldson, but according to the rumor mill he is asking for $10 million/year. Last year, getting them to pony up $4.5 million/year for Reggie was like pulling teeth. I don't think there is any way that the Bengals come close to what Dashon wants. Maybe if he was four or five years younger and named "Ed Reed"...

The site also says he's going to go to the highest bidder.

I don't know if that takes the Bengals out of the running or not, but I would have to think it's challenging.

There are other FA's besides the bigger names needing to get taken care of that will account for that money as well.

I wouldn't complain about him though.

I would love to see them bring in Goldson, but according to the rumor mill he is asking for $10 million/year. Last year, getting them to pony up $4.5 million/year for Reggie was like pulling teeth. I don't think there is any way that the Bengals come close to what Dashon wants. Maybe if he was four or five years younger and named "Ed Reed"...

I can't see him getting $10M/yr... not way. This site says he wanted $8M/yr... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147075/article/free-agency-primer-ranking-the-top-safeties

FFS, who is the highest paid safety in the league right now? What is the tag figure for the position?

THere are a few other top safeties out there (Phillips, Quin, Landry) ... if the $ hit is in the $5-9M range for a top S, then I don't see the Bengals going FA to address the spot but will take a S early in the draft... Will that work?

There are other that I think have played decent that could merit some looks in FA. Matt Giordano, William Moore...

FFS, who is the highest paid safety in the league right now? What is the tag figure for the position?

I think it's Eric Berry (KC) who signed a six-year, $60 million rookie deal in 2010. Out in your neck of the woods Eric Weddle is getting $8 million/year from SD.

The non-exclusive tag for safeties is $6.8 million.

THere are a few other top safeties out there (Phillips, Quin, Landry) ... if the $ hit is in the $5-9M range for a top S, then I don't see the Bengals going FA to address the spot but will take a S early in the draft... Will that work?

I'm all for it.

I'm sure they could sign Goldson to a 4 year deal that is front loaded,

The problem with that scenario is after year one (when the big bucks have been earned) the player has less of an incentive to perform for the remainder of the contract