Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

It looks like some quality FA linemen will be available; maybe not such a bad idea to let Andre test the market as there appear to be a glut of starting-quality OLs.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/11/starks-foster-colon-all-may-go-in-steelers-offensive-line-shakeup/

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/09/free-agent-tackles-could-have-a-hard-time-getting-paid/

It looks like some quality FA linemen will be available; maybe not such a bad idea to let Andre test the market as there appear to be a glut of starting-quality OLs.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/11/starks-foster-colon-all-may-go-in-steelers-offensive-line-shakeup/

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/09/free-agent-tackles-could-have-a-hard-time-getting-paid/

Yup. I'm increasingly inclined to think that there won't be too many big-bucks deals this year. LaCanfora wrote this the other day laying out all the guys who could get cut in cap purges. Possible names include:

Bart Scott

Calvin Pace

Jason Smith

LaRon Landry

Shonn Green

Dustin Keller

Will Smith

Jonathan Vilma

Jimmy Graham

Jay Ratliff

Gerald Sensabaugh

Chris Gamble

Jordan Gross

DeAngelo Williams

Nnamdi Asomugha

DeMeco Ryans

James Harrison

Mike Wallace

Rashard Mendenhall

Jermichael Finley

Charles Woodson

Rolando Mclain

Darius Heyward-Bey

Paul Kruger

Cary Williams

With the cap staying flat, a lot of big names will be chasing few dollars. It should be interesting.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com takes a look at the possibility that the Browns will “double dip,” which is what the former NFL executive Carmen Policy used to call a free-agent signing that helped your own team while carrying the simultaneous benefit of weakening an opponent. And it’s not just Flacco the Browns could be targeting off a division rival’s roster.

Ravens linebackers Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerbe could also be targets of the Browns, as could Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace and cornerback Keenan Lewis, or Bengals outside linebacker Manny Lawson and kicker Mike Nugent. If the Browns want to make a splash in free agency, grabbing a player from one of the three teams above them in the standings would make a lot of sense.

Oh, that made my morning. :lmao: :lmao:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com takes a look at the possibility that the Browns will “double dip,” which is what the former NFL executive Carmen Policy used to call a free-agent signing that helped your own team while carrying the simultaneous benefit of weakening an opponent. And it’s not just Flacco the Browns could be targeting off a division rival’s roster.

Ravens linebackers Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerbe could also be targets of the Browns, as could Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace and cornerback Keenan Lewis, or Bengals outside linebacker Manny Lawson and kicker Mike Nugent. If the Browns want to make a splash in free agency, grabbing a player from one of the three teams above them in the standings would make a lot of sense.

Oh, that made my morning. :lmao:/> :lmao:/>

There's no way in HELL that the Browns are getting Flacco. Could they get Kruger? Sure. Will they grossly overpay for him? Absolutely. Why? Because nobody wants to go to the Browns if they had an equal choice.

The Browns need to bite it and continue to build through the draft. 4-5 years ago the Bengals began an uphill climb to get to where they are now. Building through the draft, smartly. While at the time I was frustrated with the lack of big name FA signings (spare the 28 million spent on a bad knee)I see now that they are in a much better spot. Financially and competitvely.

I just liked the idea that signing Lawson or Nugent would constitute a "raid" by the Browns. :lol: Can we convince them to "raid" us for Taylor Mays, Rey Maualuga and Dennis Roland, too? Heck, act before midnight tonight and I'll throw in Paul Alexander and the Hayes brothers at no additional charge.

I just liked the idea that signing Lawson or Nugent would constitute a "raid" by the Browns. :lol:/> Can we convince them to "raid" us for Taylor Mays, Rey Maualuga and Dennis Roland, too? Heck, act before midnight tonight and I'll throw in Paul Alexander and the Hayes brothers at no additional charge.

It's almost sad to see a franchise go through what the Bengals did, this time looking on the otherside. Almost.

Manny Lawson and Mike Nugent are going to cripple us ??

BWAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAA !!! Oh no, not those two.

I mean, they could have at least mentioned two players that actually are, I don't know, good.

Lawson will be upgrade through FA or the draft. Nugent can easily get bumped with the effort shown by Brown.

Either way, have at it Browns. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The thought of above average players getting cut intrigues me.

However, we have above average players on our team already that need to be addressed.

Maybe they use the tag as a one year stop gap and sign a FA player that will provide a bigger impact.

Something like tagging Big Dre for the season with the intent of replacing him the following season.

Not saying as I would like that approach, only speculating what could happen if the right player was there.

You know the FA on that list that really has me wondering ??

Asomugha. That's right I said it, Asomugha.

People are like, "He's lost it" and "He will be lucky to make anything near what he has" and things like that.

While that may be true, I simply wonder what happened ?? He was shutdown CB in Oakland and then went to Philly and did little.

Obviously the skills are there. Did he quit ?? Not the right scheme ?? Money go to his head ??

I don't really keep up with the Iggles, so I can't speak on it.

However, if his contract demands were diminished (as i've heard) I wonder what Zimmer could get out of him ??

I'm not all "WE NEED TO GET THIS GUY", but more curious than anything...

You know the FA on that list that really has me wondering ??

Asomugha. That's right I said it, Asomugha.

People are like, "He's lost it" and "He will be lucky to make anything near what he has" and things like that.

While that may be true, I simply wonder what happened ?? He was shutdown CB in Oakland and then went to Philly and did little.

Obviously the skills are there. Did he quit ?? Not the right scheme ?? Money go to his head ??

I don't really keep up with the Iggles, so I can't speak on it.

However, if his contract demands were diminished (as i've heard) I wonder what Zimmer could get out of him ??

I'm not all "WE NEED TO GET THIS GUY", but more curious than anything...

That is an interesting idea. I'm guessing that Kirkpatrick would slide into the 3rd corner position?

There are more than a few FA players I would be interested in seeing the Bengals go after, however the reality of it is, they have their own FA to resign that are going to cost a ton and then there's next years crop of their own to consider with Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Dunlap all set to hit FA. Something has to give with what they are looking at this year, getting extensions done for at least one guy next year, and considering who to use the tag on if need be.

It's why I almost immediately dismiss the idea of any of the bigger names in FA to come to Cincinnati this year or next.

That is unless they think less of who we are considering from our own guys and want to go in another direction.

If i'm placing a bet on a guy I could see them going away from, it would be Dunlap next year.

Just my own thoughts rattling around my head.

Packers apparently cutting Woodson today...

Im not a fan of signing older free agents, but he is one that i would not mind. They can still draft a safety, even in the 2nd round and let him sit and learn behind him. I say if they have a chance to get him, then at least try for him.

Hensley makes a decent case for Woodley-to-the-Bengals. I have to admit I'm intrigued. Obviously if the team goes for a safety early it doesn't make sense but if not they could do worse.