Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

Could the current Bengals team put up 40 points against the Patriots ??

There's absolutely no reason to see that as a possibility.

However, i'm referring to next season and not seeing there being all kinds of issues impossible to address.

We need a high draft pick used on RB. No problem with 3 picks in the first two rounds, 2 in the first 37.

We need a solid #2 WR. I still think Sanu makes all the difference. No reason to think the injury holds him back.

We need bolstering to the o-line. While they may not go after Cook's replacement, I think they bring back Dre.

With Whit, Dre, Boling, and Zeitler, I like 4 of the 5 o-linemen.

While I think they need a vet WR, it won't surprise me if they don't bother, so that's not huge in my opinion.

Green and Jones on the outside with Sanu working the slot. This improves things for Dalton and helps Jones grow into his role.

What's keeping people from thinking this offense will be above average next season ??

It's really hard to come up with a reason to think this won't get done unless people are extreme pessimists here.

I agree with you for the most part. I think they need to address Bolings spot and Center. Unless they are sold on Robinson. Upgrade at WR which could be done in FA or in the draft. I'd prefer FA.

I see Sanu as the slot, not the #2. Need a legit #2 to fully complement Green.

Obviously, get some type of game changer at RB. Can't sit still at the WR position. I just don't think that Jones is enough. What if we get another injury at WR? Then we're right back in the same place again next year.

Boling is a work in progress and like him for the most part.

I like him better than Wharton as the RG.

Cook ?? Sure, get rid of his sorry ass.

I simply don't think it will happen, as the coaches like both him and Robinson.

They will fight it out in camp and we will be left to deal with the winner.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to bring in a vet WR and think they should.

Again, I simply just don't think they will.

If they do, it's not like it would be Bowe, Jennings, or Wallace.

The Dolphins won't let Hartline get away and then you are looking at restricted guys or slot players.

I think they roll out Green, Jones, and Sanu in the slot and we deal with what we've got.

If they go WR in the draft, I won't complain either.

Pray for no injuries.

Boling is a work in progress and like him for the most part.

I like him better than Wharton as the RG.

Cook ?? Sure, get rid of his sorry ass.

I simply don't think it will happen, as the coaches like both him and Robinson.

They will fight it out in camp and we will be left to deal with the winner.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to bring in a vet WR and think they should.

Again, I simply just don't think they will.

If they do, it's not like it would be Bowe, Jennings, or Wallace.

The Dolphins won't let Hartline get away and then you are looking at restricted guys or slot players.

I think they roll out Green, Jones, and Sanu in the slot and we deal with what we've got.

If they go WR in the draft, I won't complain either.

Pray for no injuries.

If that's the direction that they head, and it's good possibility that they will, I don't think it's good enough.

This team has been "nibbling around the edges" for years. It's one of the reasons they get to the playoffs and then lose.

If you're going to go 75% of the way...why not go all the way? Fix the problems. Bring in the solutions. Until they make proactive decisions the norm, instead of WISHING and HOPING, we'll have more of the same. This was the exact thought I had when they brought in BJGE and didn't draft a complementary RB in the draft when there was plenty to choose from.

I agree Hokie. I simply think that's what will happen, but I can't say as I agree.

Mainly at the Center position. It's like they have a hardon to say they found late round gems to start.

Sad part is the only reason they are starting is because there isn't anything better.

Everyone said we wouldn't take OG in the first last year due to the fact they have never taken an OG in the first ever. I don't think anyone is complaining about that decision now. I wish they would embrace both the Center and Safety positions the same way.

True, though depending on his interview they may still go this route but has probably dropped into the second at this point.

Either he is a liar (bad) or stupid, gullible, and extremely naive (just as bad IMHO)

I love the idea of Barrett Jones btw. I think recent drafts have shown that RB talent can be easily found deeper in the draft (see Foster,Arian or Morris, Alfred)

No to Barrett Jones and Te'O. We have a Top 10 line and Robinson can man the center spot if Cook isn't going to get back to what he was, plus Burfict is the MLB of the future and he's better than Te'O. We have much bigger needs at OLB, S, and DE than drafting Barrett Jones.

If we truly have a top 10 line, as you say, Dalton would not have been sacked so much and we'd have a semblance of a running game

The weakness of this team was on the offensive side, not the defensive side

Yes, we absolutely do have some defensive-side needs, but the offense is the side that is most in need of improvement

That, and as a general principal - it is much easier to improve on a weakness than on a strength

No to Barrett Jones and Te'O. We have a Top 10 line and Robinson can man the center spot if Cook isn't going to get back to what he was, plus Burfict is the MLB of the future and he's better than Te'O. We have much bigger needs at OLB, S, and DE than drafting Barrett Jones.

If we truly have a top 10 line, as you say, Dalton would not have been sacked so much and we'd have a semblance of a running game

The weakness of this team was on the offensive side, not the defensive side

Yes, we absolutely do have some defensive-side needs, but the offense is the side that is most in need of improvement

That, and as a general principal - it is much easier to improve on a weakness than on a strength

Half of those sacks were on Dalton TJ. He was horrible this year in his pocket awareness, the o-line gave him the time, but he never knew to run it, scramble away, move up in the pocket so he just ate it. By the end of the year they were not as good, but you can't blame over half those sacks on the O-Line. Somebody better teach Dalton some pocket awareness.

Just like Volcom said, many of the sacks were Dalton's fault, so that's not a good point. He holds on to the ball entirely too long and takes a lot of unnecessary sacks. PFF has graded our O-Line out as one of the Top 10 lines in the NFL. The run game would look a lot better if we had a RB who was starting RB quality. BJGE is a bottom tier NFL RB and still average almost 4 ypc, at 3.9.

Center is not even close to the top of the needs list. WR was a weakness because we had WR in their first year, and RB we didn't have a guy who should even be a starter on the team. The play of the Center didn't cost this team games, and that's just the fact of the matter. I'll maintain that I would rather see a OLB, DE, S, or even a RB drafted over a Center in R1. A Center pick would probably even make me mad given the much larger holes at other places.

Anyway you look at it, the offense has to be the number one priority in FA and the draft if this team is to get anywhere in the playoffs. It doesn't have enough playmakers and it's painfully obvious.

Give Dalton a real threat at RB and another soild WR and this team will look completely different next season.

Don't get me wrong, center is not the pick I think will happen even if I wanted it to be.

That still belongs to Matt Elam, the safety out of Florida and only true SS of the top 5 safeties in the draft.

However, I don't like the mindset that we are "good enough" when we can get better. If we don't think we can do better than Cook, than maybe people need to go back and rewatch the games after his return. Robinson ?? Sure, I like the kid and hope good things for him, but I don't want to pin all my hopes and dreams on an UDFA. They all can't be Burfict and Adrian Foster.

Not to mention this kids versatility. He played all three spots at a VERY high level.

We've been talking about it for a couple of seasons around here, but what happens if/when Whitworth goes down or loses bigger steps ?? What about if Zeitler goes down ?? Boling ?? Who fills in ?? The one thing this o-line does NOT have is depth. I couldn't think of a better way to fill that depth than with a player capable of covering any of the 3 spots.

I still don't think it will happen, but I am simply saying, the pick would neither surprise me, nor make me angered by any stretch.

Are there other holes to fill at other spots ?? Yes, but I won't sit back and be all happy that some website says we have a top 10 line.

That doesn't account for injuries that we all know happen.

I still don't think that Elam will end up going that high either. I'd rather spend money on Safety in Free Agency, honestly.

Same here Elam is good but I don't think he's a first round pick. He has struggled in pass coverage quite a bit this year. He is good, but not first round worthy. If they go after him in the second that's a different story.

After watching the Falcons so far today, having two great WRs, would do alot for this offense.

The early picks need to be offense-side, period, because this team is clearly much stronger on D then on O

Wow. TJ usually screams for linemen.

I do

I did

this time, its OFFENSIVE linemen

and I will add - the team finally did draft those "GIMME A" linemen on the D side the past few years, and what happened to the D?

yeah, you know

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to consider is that the Bengals fielded the youngest offense, and very nearly one of the top-10 oldest defenses, last season.

/>http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/introducing-snap-weighted-team-age

That suggests we might be looking at the offseason a bit backwards, given that most seem to be looking at RB, OL and WR in the draft. It might make more sense to explore FA for those spots and bring some veteran savvy in, while looking to the draft for DE, LB and the secondary, where we have some age. Just a thought.

That ranking is being skewed by the ages of Clements and Newman who are like 52 years old.

Obviously exaggerating ages, but nonetheless, those two are old.

I have been looking at the free agents and I just don't think they look to add anything at the top end and if not, I don't see much that would present a huge upgrade otherwise. With Kirkpatrick on the mend, things change at CB in regards to age. They have Prater coming back as well and I could see them spending a 5th on another. I could see them bringing back either Jones or Newman, but someone between those two and Clements I don't see back. I want to see them draft a Safety and LB within the first 3 picks, so that will help that age thing as well.

I would still advocate bringing in a vet WR, but I don't know who would present as a huge upgrade over getting a new one in the draft. Those that would are going to cost a little bit more than I can see them wanting to put out when considering their own players to get back under contract.

That ranking is being skewed by the ages of Clements and Newman who are like 52 years old.

Obviously exaggerating ages, but nonetheless, those two are old.

So is everyone else. Of the five DBs who played the most snaps in 2012 -- a number which does not include Clements -- the only one who isn't already in their 30s or won't turn 30 in 2013 is Leon Hall, and he's going to be 29. At LB, our options include the draft or bringing back Howard (30 this year) or Lawson (29). There is some youth available obviously, but especially in the secondary, how much do we trust it? Kirkpatrick can't get healthy, Ghee is a joke and Prater was hurt quickly, too. And I didn't see much out of Skuta or Vincent Rey that made me say, oh, look, there's the answer. Lamur? Maybe.

I want to see them draft a Safety and LB within the first 3 picks, so that will help that age thing as well.

Add a DE and I'll be happy.

I would still advocate bringing in a vet WR, but I don't know who would present as a huge upgrade over getting a new one in the draft. Those that would are going to cost a little bit more than I can see them wanting to put out when considering their own players to get back under contract.

I would take a look at RBs too. I wouldn't object to going after someone like Reggie Bush.

• 2 weeks later...

RB:

I'd be OK with Bush. He wont lead the league in rushing but thats not the point. He makes plays. The o-line in Miami was not so great, he'd have a better line here and arguably a better offense to work in.

I'd prefer to draft some younger fresher legs, though. One quick note regarding Bernard Scott. When he came here, he had tons of baggage, arrests, school issues. Though a mild disappointment due to injury and lack of touches, he has not created one issue. Just sayin' that having him back and healthy would not be the worst thing.

WR:

Just noticed tht there is some general trade talk about Percy Harvin. He would be a good fit in this offense. He'd work in well with AJ/Sanu and the rest. Bengals have the picks to package up a deal for him, as long as he does not want to be the highest paid WR in the game.

CB:

I have to believe the team knows if guys like Kirk and Prater will bounce back. If they are on track, I don't see them burning a high pick on CB. My guess is the keep Jones and Newman, too. Clements *could* move to safety full time, and maybe he'd play well there full time but if not, then I think he's come to the end of the road as a CB in the NFL.

LB:

I have to think they will cut Rey Rey. Won't be easy but his inability to improve has cost the defense quite a bit of success. You can direct line his poor play with so many opponent successes on third downs, and in red zone. He's just too much of a liability. Its staggering the amount of latitude he has been given. On another team, he'd have been cut long ago.

I think they will draft a LB high. Maybe even bring in a FA LB. This is a spot where improved play will make a big difference. D-line played better than could have hoped for, and secondary was probably above expecations, too. LB squad, though hindered by loss of Howard, stand to be improved a lot.

just some random thoughts this AM.