Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

That havard guy is a titan

well that was quick

I guess you have to move a bit faster than molasses in winter (ala SoaG) to actually sign a quality FA

Backup quarterback is an important position. QBs are getting all smashed up these days, everybody knows it. Your backup has to go in and play, having a good one is huge. The harvard guy would have been perfect. I'm not wanting a rookie for this role, that would be completely stupid. We need a vet who's played in a bunch of games. The Bangals FO and Marvin flat out act like they don't give a crap. This position is one where you can't get a usable one in the 4th round of the draft. We need a free agent vet in here, and Mike and his Blackburns act like it's just another left guard position or something. I don't want a big money prima donna receiver, nor do I expect them to get into bidding wars for the highest rated cornerback out there, but jesus f**king christ, find a competent vet qb and sign him. And quit acting f**king snotty to the press and the fans just because we have the nerve to actually be interested in your f**king football team.

It's amazing how mad Marvin is really getting with Fans and media at this point. If you ask me he is a huge cry baby, and as I said at the end of the year I'm so tired of Marvin Lewis! He tells us in press conferences how other teams are doing wrong in FA while the bengals are doing right. I found lately he spends more time talking then anything else, he almost getting worse then Chad was lol. Whatever I hope he knows what he's doing anymore!

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this is the "absolute best approach" to doing things and have said multiple times that this is the very first year I agree with this approach. That being said, I also acknowledge it could blow up in their faces for sure.

However, things blowing up in their faces could work exactly the same way by bringing in some older player signed for a season or two in the hopes they have success with the Bengals. Bottomline is, nothing is a guarantee for sure.

I do like the movement to youth at the RB, LB, and safety positions though.

We were good enough to get to the playoffs last year with those positions being manned with garbage.

A little youth, strength and speed can't be a worse thing to add to the mix.

Marvin and his conferences ?? This can't possibly irritate anyone anymore can it ??

I mean he has been that way from day 1 and hasn't changed his delivery in any way, shape, or form.

I just don't listen to his conferences anymore. Seriously, I just don't watch.

Reading the transcripts afterward is much less painful.

Backup quarterback is an important position. QBs are getting all smashed up these days, everybody knows it. Your backup has to go in and play, having a good one is huge. The harvard guy would have been perfect. I'm not wanting a rookie for this role, that would be completely stupid. We need a vet who's played in a bunch of games. The Bangals FO and Marvin flat out act like they don't give a crap. This position is one where you can't get a usable one in the 4th round of the draft. We need a free agent vet in here, and Mike and his Blackburns act like it's just another left guard position or something. I don't want a big money prima donna receiver, nor do I expect them to get into bidding wars for the highest rated cornerback out there, but jesus f**king christ, find a competent vet qb and sign him. And quit acting f**king snotty to the press and the fans just because we have the nerve to actually be interested in your f**king football team.

Preach on, brother COB, preach on!

Well Marvin was asked about the safety position, and said he felt good about it. Is there somebody they got who is starting? Are they thinking of moving Jason Allen (who is a waste of money)! I just hope they draft somebody then!

I'm hoping Marvin is just pulling his d**k-ish attitude about that and Maualuga. When he doesn't feel people have a right to know, he gets pouty and flustered.

If he's serious about MLB and Safety being "ok", then we are ultimately f**ked if we think this team is getting any better.

Ok, we might be seriously f**ked this season. I actually think he's serious.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/67468/wake-up-tomlins-bold-message-to-skeptics

Head coach Marvin Lewis told the Cincinnati Enquirer that getting to the postseason isn't good enough. The Bengals have made the playoffs three of the past four seasons but have yet to win a postseason game. "We’re not satisfied at all," Lewis said. "There was a perception they never got to the playoffs, now there is the perception we are satisfied with it. Someone is putting words in people’s mouths again.”

Lewis told the team's official website that he doubts he'll move Rey Maualuga, who recently re-signed with the team, from middle to outside linebacker. "We're very comfortable how we played on defense and all we do is keep getting better with those kids," Lewis said. "Rey had to manage KinderCare out there and he did a good managing it," Lewis said. "I never said we would move (Vontaze Burfict) to the middle before."

Rey had to manage kindercare ?? Really ??

By kindercare, I suppose he means Burfict, because Lawson had been around for quite some time.

With that thought in mind, I would bet Burfict was doing more managing.

I mean it was Maualuga that said Burfict knew more than he did at the start of last season.

Like I said yesterday, I don't listen to Marvin anymore, but I read the comment about what he thought about the fans being down on Rey and him saying it had to do with us listening to some dumbass website that doesn't know anything about playing football.

Well Mr. Lewis, it doesn't take a website to know Rey is constantly trying to catch up to plays and making tackles after big gains have been made.

What's sad about the fact he has to catch up to plays is that the offense is running right at him because they know he is weak.

Need further proof ?? Listen to what the f*ck Rey says himself in regards to his performance against the Texans in the playoff game.

You know, the one you all lost and Rey thought he would be gone due to his lack of performance ??

But don't let that stand in the way of forming an opinion of how awesome he is.

You sir are the dumbass.

... the comment about what he thought about the fans being down on Rey and him saying it had to do with us listening to some dumbass website that doesn't know anything about playing football.

I gotta admit. That s**t made me lmfao. Kudos, Marvin.

Well Mr. Lewis, it doesn't take a website to know Rey is constantly trying to catch up to plays and making tackles after big gains have been made.

What's sad about the fact he has to catch up to plays is that the offense is running right at him because they know he is weak.

Need further proof ?? Listen to what the f*ck Rey says himself in regards to his performance against the Texans in the playoff game.

You know, the one you all lost and Rey thought he would be gone due to his lack of performance ??

But don't let that stand in the way of forming an opinion of how awesome he is.

You sir are the dumbass.

Have we coined a new catchphrase? :lmao:

Anyways, if it's at all true that Maualuga's problems originate in his head from paying too much attention to what others think of him, he DEFINITELY is with the right organization to teach him how to ignore any outside opinion. Need to get Rey in the film room studying tape of Mike Brown ignoring hecklers outside his box. Pretty soon you'll have his agent issuing statements about how nobody can possibly comprehend how hard it is to play linebacker in the NFL.

Well, with Quin gone, I now look at a restricted free agent

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/stevie-brown-wins-second-defensive-player-of-the-week-award/

He has a second round tender, and we have a low 2nd round pick we'd likely be using for a safety anyway

Here's a guy with 3 years of experience, verging on becoming a star, still quite young but experienced enough to step right in and help us right away, 8 picks last year, twice nfc defensive player of the week. This guy is entering the prime of his career.

I'd rather have him than Elam, Vaccaro, or the other top safeties in the draft, and he's ours for our low 2nd rounder.

Most everyone here wants a safety in the three picks - so why not give up our lower pick in 2 for this proven high-talent safety rather than take a rookie who probably wont help right away

The only downside is he'll cost a bit more than a rookie.....but the improvement to our D would be HUGE and IMMEDIATE

I could get behind this. Young guy coming off a huge season. Interestingly, the Bengals have shown interest in him in the past (as a FA from the Colts)... http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6006/stevie-brown

He's got the right last name. The contract he wants might scare Mike off, but damn, he fits a need and like you guys said, it'd be like getting a sure thing starter with a second round pick. Some second rounders hardly see the field. It seems like a logical thing. Do it Bengals front office!

Well shoot. Looks like that one ain't gonna happen either. What else ya got, TJ?
/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/stevie-brown-signs-tender-to-remain-with-giants/#comments

Anyways, if it's at all true that Maualuga's problems originate in his head from paying too much attention to what others think of him, he DEFINITELY is with the right organization to teach him how to ignore any outside opinion. Need to get Rey in the film room studying tape of Mike Brown ignoring hecklers outside his box. Pretty soon you'll have his agent issuing statements about how nobody can possibly comprehend how hard it is to play linebacker in the NFL.

Heh. Nice. But you do realize that''s just a theme... :P

Let me throw out an additional option - Kerry Rhodes, age 30

His release in Arizona was not on performance, but on dollars

Didnt you hear Marvin yesterday, he said he is happy with the safety spot. If he is serious then they will not go after anybody, and probably draft one late. Lets hope he is not serious.

My take on marvin's comments yesterday - he is pissed off about the media's treatment of the team's inactions (esp the recent daugherty 'perception' piece), so he is coming out with lines to piss them off even more - we're not moving Rey, we like our safeties, we actually won that playoff game, etc etc

In other words - he doesn't care about anyone's perceptions, only his results, and if he feels like replacing a safety, he has no need to tell us about it.

Said yet another way - I don't pay much attention to what Marvin says.

My take on marvin's comments yesterday - he is pissed off about the media's treatment of the team's inactions (esp the recent daugherty 'perception' piece), so he is coming out with lines to piss them off even more - we're not moving Rey, we like our safeties, we actually won that playoff game, etc etc

In other words - he doesn't care about anyone's perceptions, only his results, and if he feels like replacing a safety, he has no need to tell us about it.

Maybe. Or maybe the critiques cut too close for comfort.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: coaching is over-rated. Two years ago, coaches and players weren't allowed to talk to each other all offseason, yet somehow the quality of play didn't falter. In Cincy, the lockout actually preceded one of the best seasons in recent memory.

That isn't to say that there have not been or are not now some great coaches. I'm sure all of us can think of 5-10 names pretty easily (Brown, Walsh, Lombardi, maybe Parcells and Belichick, etc.) but the vast majority of NFL coaches are long gone down the memory hole. You could probably replace 80% of coaches in the NFL tomorrow and the impact would be nil. And nothing in Marvin's tenure suggests to me that he's not one of the 80%.

Everyone is concerned about re-signing Geno, Dunlap, Green, MJ, Smith, Dalton, etc. Marvin's contract is up after this season too. Funny how you don't hear too many people concerned about that, eh?

Or perhaps it's that nobody on this planet enjoys having people without expertise or inside information spout off and tell you how you should be doing your job.

If you want to see me go off, start telling me what's wrong with the educational system today or how teachers should or shouldn't be doing their jobs. Or, start telling me how unimportant most coaches are...because I'm one of those, too. tongue.gif

As for football, sure, we can watch tape, read "expert opnions, and look at all the stats and data we want. Maybe that gives us a general picture of what's going on. But, it doesn't tell us everything, and the fact is that nobody on this planet is more of an expert regarding the Cincinnati Bengals than Marvin Lewis. It doesn't mean he's always going to make the right decisions or even that somebody else couldn't do it better. But, it does makes him highly more qualified to make these decisions than any of us.

And yes, yes, I know...fan "interest" and criticism are part of the job that he signed up for. It's fun to sit in front of our computers or TVs and be the armchair GM/coach for a while. But, in the end, he's right. We're just a bunch of outside observers reading "dumbass" websites and running our mouths as if we actually know something. Sometimes we do. Often times we don't.

... the vast majority of NFL coaches are long gone down the memory hole. You could probably replace 80% of coaches in the NFL tomorrow and the impact would be nil. And nothing in Marvin's tenure suggests to me that he's not one of the 80%.

Everyone is concerned about re-signing Geno, Dunlap, Green, MJ, Smith, Dalton, etc. Marvin's contract is up after this season too. Funny how you don't hear too many people concerned about that, eh?

Like all Bengals fans, I can only form an opinion on based on websites that know nothing about football. If only there were such a website that would tell me what to think about Marvin's performance as a head coach.

Oh, here's one! http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

yeah but according to that website Chuck Bresnahan is the 55th greatest NFL coach of all time.......I think we can disregard anything Pro Football Reference has to say about coaching.

I will say this again because I really like to hear myself type....Marvin Lewis has the hardest head coaching job of anyone in professional sports IMHO, no one is expected to do more with less. 4 full time scouts (up from none when he started) the smallest front office in all of professional sports (and 4 of them are related to the owner) and the tighest tightwad in NFL history as owner/general manager. Mike Brown's record pre-Marvin was 51-137 (11 years) as owner and general manager and that record spanned 4 head coaches and numerous players. Marvin might be a pain in the ass, his news conferences maybe more painful than watching a Jersey Shore Marathon, and I am certainly not going to say every decision has been a good one, but he deserves a ton of credit for accomplishing the things he has accomplished given that he works for an organization that has proven it doesn't care two Lumina wheels about winning.

Let me throw out an additional option - Kerry Rhodes, age 30

His release in Arizona was not on performance, but on dollars

Didnt you hear Marvin yesterday, he said he is happy with the safety spot. If he is serious then they will not go after anybody, and probably draft one late. Lets hope he is not serious.

Eh he said Safety was one spots we be looking at in the draft.

I will say this again because I really like to hear myself type....Marvin Lewis has the hardest head coaching job of anyone in professional sports IMHO,

Agreed,I couldn't see many people coming here in like circumstances and being any more successful.What would belicheat be without a army of spys.

yeah but according to that website Chuck Bresnahan is the 55th greatest NFL coach of all time.......I think we can disregard anything Pro Football Reference has to say about coaching.

I will say this again because I really like to hear myself type....Marvin Lewis has the hardest head coaching job of anyone in professional sports IMHO, no one is expected to do more with less. 4 full time scouts (up from none when he started) the smallest front office in all of professional sports (and 4 of them are related to the owner) and the tighest tightwad in NFL history as owner/general manager. Mike Brown's record pre-Marvin was 51-137 (11 years) as owner and general manager and that record spanned 4 head coaches and numerous players. Marvin might be a pain in the ass, his news conferences maybe more painful than watching a Jersey Shore Marathon, and I am certainly not going to say every decision has been a good one, but he deserves a ton of credit for accomplishing the things he has accomplished given that he works for an organization that has proven it doesn't care two Lumina wheels about winning.

What do you know about Jersey Shore marathons?

Or perhaps it's that nobody on this planet enjoys having people without expertise or inside information spout off and tell you how you should be doing your job.

If you want to see me go off, start telling me what's wrong with the educational system today or how teachers should or shouldn't be doing their jobs. Or, start telling me how unimportant most coaches are...because I'm one of those, too. tongue.gif

As for football, sure, we can watch tape, read "expert opnions, and look at all the stats and data we want. Maybe that gives us a general picture of what's going on. But, it doesn't tell us everything, and the fact is that nobody on this planet is more of an expert regarding the Cincinnati Bengals than Marvin Lewis. It doesn't mean he's always going to make the right decisions or even that somebody else couldn't do it better. But, it does makes him highly more qualified to make these decisions than any of us.

And yes, yes, I know...fan "interest" and criticism are part of the job that he signed up for. It's fun to sit in front of our computers or TVs and be the armchair GM/coach for a while. But, in the end, he's right. We're just a bunch of outside observers reading "dumbass" websites and running our mouths as if we actually know something. Sometimes we do. Often times we don't.

Stop raining on our d*mn parade Skyline. Can't you see we are all fired up about something ??

While I have spent my fair share of time bitching about what I see, I will agree with your statement above.

However, this is what fans have done (right or wrong) since the history of, well, fans...

It's never going to change though and Marvin doesn't make it any easier when going on rants.

In regards to his contract being up, no, I can't say as I care.

I can find reasons for and against him coming back.