Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

He is the most talented back in this draft but he has had two major injuries in two years so there is the risk...then again Munoz had serious knee injuries in college and never had another recurrance while Chris Perry and KiJana Carter had no injury history in college and were complete injury busts so who the hell knows.....I would take a flier on him in the third without a hesitation.

I'd wait til the 5th

In the pass catching part of his Pro Day yesterday, he walked out to a designated point on the field, got ready, then the qb threw to him there while he stood motionless

I just don't think he is ready to contribute in 2013, which given the injury is perfectly understandable. So draft him later, and if he is never able to come back fully (which remains a possibility), you're only out a 5.

With a r3 pick, personally I expect an immediate contributor - either a starter, a situational starter (like a nickel corner) or someone at least close to being ready to start

Just how much money do the fans think this team has ??

Well, I don't know about "the fans," but the reality is that the Bengals have all the money and cap space they need to lock up their core players over the next couple years and still play strategically in free agency beyond their own roster. To date this year, they have chosen not to do the latter and while they have promised to do the former, it hasn't happened yet.

Reaching long-term deals with Moobs and MJ will go a long way toward quieting criticism. OTOH, if things stay as they are and the Bengals use two of their top three picks on an OT and a DE, expect a run on torches and pitchforks at Cincy-area stores.

The bengals are just not smart with money when it comes to there own, or in FA! I didn't expect big things, but I expected something. Andre is playing the bengals big time, he can wait as long as he has too!

Sorry, I don't follow. How is Andre "playing the bengals" by not signing? Seems like FA #'s are quite a bit lower than he was hoping for and there's no reason to believe they'll go up as the offseason drags on.

Well walrus, let's say draft day rolls around, and the big fellow still has not signed here, there, anywhere. The team then is forced to draft a ORT high due to the uncertainty, which in turn means they can't address another position of need with a high pick.

Then he waddles in the next day and says I am ready to sign.

At that point - thanks big fella, now go screw yourself. (or something like that, I've a feeling Army will have a better line)

Well walrus, let's say draft day rolls around, and the big fellow still has not signed here, there, anywhere. The team then is forced to draft a ORT high due to the uncertainty, which in turn means they can't address another position of need with a high pick.

Then he waddles in the next day and says I am ready to sign.

At that point - thanks big fella, now go screw yourself. (or something like that, I've a feeling Army will have a better line)

Exactly you read my mind. He is forcing the bengals to either pay him or draft one. Seems to me like Andre is still looking for big money, and probably more then what the other guys got. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do, or if the bengals will draft a RT!

Anybody else thinking the bengals may take a QB kind of high in this draft? They seem to be working out some pretty high draft prospects including EJ Manual now who could go as early as the first round?

Awesome. Nothing says Bengals quite like a QB controversy.

Anybody else thinking the bengals may take a QB kind of high in this draft?

No. I'd be very surprised if they consider any of these prospects worth it, and they still seem to have faith in Dalton (as they should, IMO).

Awwww, c'mon, stripes! Where's your sense of adventure? How bad could it be? Look how well that whole Jon Kitna/Akili Smith/Gus Frerotte thing worked out!

Bring back the Three-Headed Hydra! :P

Good God.

I know there is always a fair amount of negativity surrounding the Bengals, but this is pretty crazy.

The Bengals don't have 55 million still remaining in cap space for those following. If reports are correct, they are in the 30 range after bringing back some of their own. Now, knowing they are pushing at least 10 million of that into next year, that would put them in the 20 range. Contracts for both big Dre and MJ would eat up a fair amount of that in guaranteed money (if i'm not mistaken in how that works) and then there are the draft picks that will need to get done.

I could be off with that thought process and feel free to correct if I am .

You're not off-base, Army. Any FA signings from outside the organization would have to be B-tier or worse players for pennies. I support the Bengals in their inactivity so long as they manage to complete their own objective -- resign/extend their own. The lack of interesting news has been infuriating, but only because I am a Bengals nerd needing something new to talk about.

No. I'd be very surprised if they consider any of these prospects worth it, and they still seem to have faith in Dalton (as they should, IMO).

Awwww, c'mon, stripes! Where's your sense of adventure? How bad could it be? Look how well that whole Jon Kitna/Akili Smith/Gus Frerotte thing worked out!

Bring back the Three-Headed Hydra! tongue.gif

SIGN CARSON!

ohmy.gif

Regarding Moobs, it's worth noting he isn't the only good tackle not finding a market.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/28/eric-winston-thinks-its-a-weird-year-to-be-a-free-agent/

I think he and the team will get something done eventually. The only question is whether it's a long-term or short-term deal.

Regarding the cap, they have around $30 million left (that's the un-hobsonized figure). Josh had a piece up on CJ the other day about it.

Bring back the Three-Headed Hydra! tongue.gif

SIGN CARSON!

ohmy.gif

So what you're saying is you want a three-headed hydra with a big a** too? I can dig it! :)

I'd honestly prefer a 1-year contract for the Flesh Zeppelin, as I believe he is only motivated by the money he'll on the next contract - so short term is the only way to go to ensure top level performance

If it is long term, the greater bulk of it needs to be performance escalators - so he always has that carrot (rack of ribs, plate of cookies, choose you metaphor) hanging on a string in front of him

I'll be honest with you, I'm not that high on A. Smith! When we drafted him, he held out and came to camp late. Then he broke his foot on his 2nd or 3rd day. Then he came into camp again, over weight and out of shape. And how many times has he been hurt? It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we didn't sign him. You pay me what the Bengals paid him on the first contract, I'd be living in the gym!!

Also wasn't this fool arrested for bringing a firearm onto a plane in January.

Another thought, we still have Roland - he's a good back up and he played in the last 67 consecutive game. Plus the guy can play both sides of the guard and has played starter during Smith’s health and injury woes over the past few years.

I'm hoping all these other teams are focused on that very thing.

Worry about what he did those first two seasons, the injuries, that horrible 40 yard dash.

He's this, he's that.

Totally forget the past two seasons where he played himself into one of the best (certainly top 3) RT's in the game today.

He's young and another short term deal would ensure him of seeing at least one more big payday before it's all said and done.

That would keep him motivated and the fans happy.

Let him walk, only to use this seasons first rounder on his replacement would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

I'm still not sure that is what would happen anyway. Anthony Collins would be the next man up regardless.

He's far better than Roland ever will be and could be a starter on many other teams in the league.

Either way, like Dre or not, letting him go would be a mistake for the Bengals.

Yes I know this is a FA threat but I bought this up in the past and well, I think it's worth updating. SC RB Lattimore is working out for NFL scouts now. This guy is going to be a steal for someone!! http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/marcus-lattimore-journey-back-participate-south-carolina-pro-172057177--ncaaf.html

Not like we are having Free Agenecy news to talk about >.< :frustrated:

It certainly lowers the price tag, but I think it also makes getting a long-term deal less likely and increases the chances of Moobs moving on and the Bengals having to draft a replacement.

The incentive for Smith to sign long term drops with every one of these deals. He wanted something like 5 years, $45 million. At best, the market is $10 million, and arguably as much as $20 million, below that. Smith has to be thinking about a 1 year deal at this point, and I can't see the Bengals going that direction.

So: Dre stays on the sidelines. Draft time rolls around and the Bengals are forced to take an OT. Any offer they have out to Smith comes off the table. Then Moobs signs a short deal with another team (the Ravens perhaps?) in hopes of having another good year and scoring in FA in 2014.

Not saying that's what will happen but it seems increasingly possible to me. And yes, watching a perfectly good OT walk while we use a top pick replacing him with tick me off.