Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

If they draft a ORT, I think they still need the Flesh Zeppelin for a year while they groom the drafted replacement, so I'd still want to see him sign that one year deal with us

After all, a one year deal also keeps him motivated, ie high performance in 2013 on a one year deal gives him the best chance of another big contract in 2014. The carrot he seems to need in front of him is always there with a one year deal

Frankly, I am already ticked off. This is at this point clearly about nothing but money and I really dont care if the deal on the table is 1 million or 100 million at this point - either sum is more than enough to keep his family fed and clothes on his back for a lifetime

I'll need to submit a new mock. Gotta take an ORT with one of the first two picks, as I just can't see him signing long term nor at this point do i want him to. The only remaining use I have for the guy is as a 1 year placeholder for the drafted replacement

I know what you mean about money, but that's life in the NFL. I can't blame a guy for trying to max out his value.

The challenge I see on a 1 year deal is the team's conservative approach to spending. Wedging in extensions for Dunlap and Atkins (which they say they want to do this summer), MJ's franchise tag (hard to see a long trm deal there with the market for pass rushers $3-4 million/year below the tag) and a 1 year deal for smith, all of which would hit the cap this season, will be tough without pushing at least some of the hit forward. The Bengals hav been steadfast in their refusal to do that. If they are willing to bend a bit it can be done. We'll see.

I'll say it again, work a shortened deal of say 3 years with decent pay.

Make them happy with what they will be getting, knowing he will have another opportunity to see a big payday.

He's young enough.

Draft an RT in the first two rounds ?? Even if Dre leaves, I hope that's not the case.

Cue Anthony Collins and wait things out.

Is that the best approach ?? Can't say for sure, but it's certainly an option.

Agree to disagree.

I would be content with Collins for the time being and utilizing that first rounder to address another position.

Wait to see if another vet RT gets the axe after the draft and make the decision about Collins for the season at that time.

Then look at going RT early the following year. It would certainly answer the question about what exactly Collins is or isn't.

I've said before and will say again, he's a starter on other teams in the league.

Thats the key difference - our individual opinion of Collins

I don't hate the guy, not at all, but I don't have enough evidence of his play quality to say one way or the other

Lacking a good sense of what Collins brings, I therefore assume the worst and draft an ORT high

But given your much higher comfort level w/Collins, your stance is completely understandable

You know, Winston is still out there. It wouldn't be a bad idea to kick his tires at this point.

LT Jordan Gross takes a $3 million pay cut (tho he now gets to hit FA next year). Tough year for linemen.

Tough year for everyone not named Flacco or Wallace,Which is a good thing for the NFL because without retarded 100million dollar contracts all over the place teams actually have better chance keeping core of their players.

Thats the key difference - our individual opinion of Collins

I don't hate the guy, not at all, but I don't have enough evidence of his play quality to say one way or the other

Lacking a good sense of what Collins brings, I therefore assume the worst and draft an ORT high

But given your much higher comfort level w/Collins, your stance is completely understandable

You know, Winston is still out there. It wouldn't be a bad idea to kick his tires at this point.

Let's think of it this way:

At RT and S, we could decide if a highly drafted player would be better than someone on the roster.

AT RT, Collins or Roland "could" start if Smith is not signed. Collins seems far more capable to me. If they draft a RT, he may or may not be as good as the experienced Collins.

At S, we have Mays, Iloka and Sands. Maybs can't start, he's terrible. Sands or Iloka "could" start but I'm not confident in either. If they draft a S, a guy like Elam, Vaccaro or Cyprien all show better than the junk S's we have on the roster.

So, for this exercise, I think it wiser to get the higher rated S as that position is less adequate than at RT.

Let me clarify - I'd still draft a safety high

We have more than one high pick :-)

but we'd have to wedge an ORT in there along with the other needs

I get it, and agree that its not a "one or the other" situation. We are really sitting quite pretty in the draft day one and two. Heck, the whole thing!

Still, I'd prefer they nail down Fat Andre for a 3 year deal at 8-9M. He's worth it but I doubt he's gonna be able to hold it together longer than that.

For sake of repeating myself, I'm hoping they go Elam in r1 unless someone really falls, like Warmack, Ansah or Fisher..(but doubt it), then Jones in r2 with one of the hot WRs as second r2 pick. To me, many good RBs and LBs will be plentiful in r3-6.

Let me clarify - I'd still draft a safety high

We have more than one high pick :-)

but we'd have to wedge an ORT in there along with the other needs

I get it, and agree that its not a "one or the other" situation. We are really sitting quite pretty in the draft day one and two. Heck, the whole thing!

Still, I'd prefer they nail down Fat Andre for a 3 year deal at 8-9M. He's worth it but I doubt he's gonna be able to hold it together longer than that.

For sake of repeating myself, I'm hoping they go Elam in r1 unless someone really falls, like Warmack, Ansah or Fisher..(but doubt it), then Jones in r2 with one of the hot WRs as second r2 pick. To me, many good RBs and LBs will be plentiful in r3-6.

LBs aren't like RBs-and this team needs an athletic playmaker,or two, at OLB. Elam is a smallish safety whose game is the big hit. I just don't see him lasting long in the NFL.

The big silence around Big Andre is baffling enough, but the silence around Terrance Newman is just strange. Does he think that the soft market for CBs is going to heat up for a 35-year old CB? Are the cap-stressed Raiders really a viable option? The Raiders are going to be terrible again and Zimmer seems devoted to the guy. Can't help but think that the CAA agent shared by Smith and Newman is playing some game or has accorded higher priority to getting things done for one or more of his long list of clients. Alan Branch fired the guy last week. Anyway, even if the Bengals used a top 10 pick on Andre Smith, they certainly do not need to use a 1st or 2d round pick to replace him-if it comes to that.

I just never been that impressed with collins,Seemed like when he was seeing playing time our Oline was at it's worst at times...Maybe Dumbass Website marvin has talked about says otherwise? dunno I just hope we don't lose Bigdre and if we do I rather have a new big ugly vs Collins being penciled in with Rolland as his backup.

They should just give Andre deal Slightly more then Vollmer with just as many incentives (to keep Carrot er Rack of Ribs infront of him) Then Draft best available Safety & Linebacker possible.

Terrance Newman is just strange. Does he think that the soft market for CBs is going to heat up for a 35-year old CB?

Terrance is ready to sign the problem is his agent is apparently to busy for him and it seems like Bigdre.

Glad someone else agrees with not needing to draft Dre's repalcement if he leaves.

Penciling in Collins also doesn't have to be definitive.

There are plenty of players that get cur after the draft and moves that get made at that point in time.

The Bengals have made those post draft trades as well and I would say they would paint themselves into anything when it comes to Dre.

Just the opposite actually, many thought they took a big gamble not tagging him and the Bengals ended up being right.

Not only that, they now stand to get him at much less than asking price.

Thing is, Dre doesn't have a real reason to sign anything right now.

http://profootballta...se-to-new-deal/

Per PFT - Andre Smith and Bengals not close to getting a deal done.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156316/article/report-andre-smith-put-off-by-cincinnati-bengals-offer

Per NFL.com the Bengals offer "stinks"

looks like it's a sign-up or ship out type of situation that could end up being swayed by the draft and vice-versa

http://profootballta...se-to-new-deal/

Per PFT - Andre Smith and Bengals not close to getting a deal done.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156316/article/report-andre-smith-put-off-by-cincinnati-bengals-offer

looks like it's a sign-up or ship out type of situation that could end up being swayed by the draft and vice-versa

Agent is allowed to solicit offers from other teams.

I wonder if the Bengals offer is the only offer he has seen

Also kind of stinks that we paid the skin zeppelin to show up woefully fat, then crush a few bones in his foot with said fat. Then miss his whole rookie year. Then fail to act like he cared until his contract year. I'm over it. I trumpeted this guy when he was coming out, I celebrated when he was drafted, and now I'm wishing he'd just go away. It's a one-way street with this guy. Either sign him at the right price, or watch him waddle off into the sunset.

Also stinks if you're the guy behind him at your local Fatburger, Wendy's, McDonalds, etc., because dude is just going to wreck the place before you can even get your order in.

Ah, journamalism at its finest there in that Rosenthal story. King's note on Smith was buried down in his "10 thinks I think" MMQB grab bag:

6. I think the agents for Andre Smith are making it very clear to the Bengals, and to the rest of the league: The offer Cincinnati has on the table for Smith stinks (in the mind of agent and player), and the door is open for some team to come in and steal him. Listening, Arizona?

Moobs indeed may not be happy with the offer, but a throwaway line in MMQB is pretty weak sauce to hang a story on.

but a throwaway line in MMQB is pretty weak sauce to hang a story on.

The coffee at the Flagstaff, AZ, Starbucks is to die for. And Bill Bellicheck just cured Aids, didn't just cure cancer, but cured it and found a use for it that fixes birth defects, and fixed the hole in the ozone layer.

And Bill Bellicheck just cured Aids, didn't just cure cancer, but cured it and found a use for it that fixes birth defects, and fixed the hole in the ozone layer.

Maybe so but he still isn't a half man, half god, half possible centaur...

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgmGca0Gkh4

Also kind of stinks that we paid the skin zeppelin to show up woefully fat, then crush a few bones in his foot with said fat. Then miss his whole rookie year. Then fail to act like he cared until his contract year. I'm over it. I trumpeted this guy when he was coming out, I celebrated when he was drafted, and now I'm wishing he'd just go away. It's a one-way street with this guy. Either sign him at the right price, or watch him waddle off into the sunset.

Also stinks if you're the guy behind him at your local Fatburger, Wendy's, McDonalds, etc., because dude is just going to wreck the place before you can even get your order in.

Fatburgers kick ass!

Brian "Leapin'" Leonard is gonzo

http://profootballta...ard-reach-deal/

I don't think this will upset the balance of the team at all, and I don't think it will alter the draft one iota either.

I expect he saw his opportunities would again be limited in Cincy and so have a greater chance elsewhere. No biggy, all the best in Tampon Bay matey.

Yeah, I liked Leonard while he was here, but it was coming.

They have BJGE, brought back Peerman, drafted Herron last year, and will draft another RB early this year.

There simply isn't any room for him and while you don't have to think much of Herron, he did well last year and can improve.