2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

It's not to say that OBJ can't have a really good, productive season.
His signing just isn't anything that makes anyone think he changes anything in Baltimore.
Surprised he didn't take what the Jets were offering with Rodgers coming to town.
That would have been a more intriguing signing in my eyes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Just for the record, some rumors started to circulate today about a Higgins extension getting done, announcement imminent, yadda yadda yadda. Sourcing is obscure so I wouldn't give it much credence, but there is is, anyhow.

Rumors on that started Sunday afternoon, fwiw. Hard to believe they would announce Higgins before burrow in any event. 

Drew Sample back on a 1-year deal.

I know you all seem to hate him, but this makes me happy. He knows the system as the blocking TE extremely well and he is actually key to a good number of the blocking schemes they run when in 12 personnel. 

Only thing this is a sign of is that Sample had no interest from any other team. Guy knows the players, knows the coaches, knows the system, injuries happen, camp bodies are needed, and apparently anyone can be on the taxi squad now so no reason not to keep him around.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Only thing this is a sign of is that Sample had no interest from any other team. Guy knows the players, knows the coaches, knows the system, injuries happen, camp bodies are needed, and apparently anyone can be on the taxi squad now so no reason not to keep him around.

Yeah, I saw someone on Twitter report the Bengals' TE coach told ODU's Kuntz (I believe) that he shouldn't be discouraged if they draft a TE earlier....implying they may draft 2 TE's. 

Orlando performs best when he has help with a secondary blocker (RB, TE),  at least KC did that a lot with him.  So maybe they are focusing on blockers, dunno.  Someone's not going to make it though, can't keep 'em all.    

Take a tight end in the third.  If you spend a high pick on a TE he just ends up getting the living crap kicked out of him and is injured half the time.  Tyler Eifert.  Even Gronk, though a generational talent, was constantly hurt.  That position wrecks guys.  

They should just keep getting guys who are looking for a prove it year.  It’s working.  

Ok, here we are a couple weeks out.

I would love Darnell Wright or Calijah Kancey in the first.

If I was going to take a guess at what I think will happen, I will go with them taking TE Darnell Wright.

The guy is like another lineman with his string AF blocking skill set , which they need, and a good pass catcher that happens to be a 6’7 red zone nightmare. Couple that with the loss of Perrine, who was their best blocking back, and it’s not hard to see.

Want another reason??
He was number 0 in college and could be the first with that number here.

That last part was a joke of course, but still true.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:10 PM, COB said:

Take a tight end in the third.  If you spend a high pick on a TE he just ends up getting the living crap kicked out of him and is injured half the time.  Tyler Eifert.  Even Gronk, though a generational talent, was constantly hurt.  That position wrecks guys.  

They should just keep getting guys who are looking for a prove it year.  It’s working.  

This is why I don't want to spend a top pick on Kincaid at this point.   I assume they're focusing on the blocker/short yardage TE role in the draft (vs another field stretcher like Smith Jr.), a potential upgrade to Sample's receiving and blocking skills.

while I am not a fan of Bengalswire or the scumbag featured in this article, i thought it worth posting

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/18/bengals-jackson-carman-impressed-onlookers-workouts/

this after the Bengals said the scumbag was in the mix as a possible starter at ORT

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/02/bengals-jackson-carman-compete-right-tackle/

I am all in favor of best possible protection for New Guy, even if it is a scumbag doing it