2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

On 4/2/2023 at 12:02 AM, COB said:

Our sack numbers suck but there is one mitigating factor - Lou likes to cover and rush four.   In the playoffs on 3rd and long I saw him rush three.  

I’m all for drafting a good edge guy and I hope they get one.  But I also recognize that Lou is probably bottom 3 in the league in frequency of blitzing.  

I don't expect them to ever be in the top 5 or 10, but the top 15 should be the goal still.  I also realize how a "play disrupter" like Hubbard works well for him.   I guess that is why they moved Ossai inside and limited Dunlap until he was unhappy and left.  So it's a good point - Lou seems to rely heavily on one premier pass rusher for sacks and prefers a 3-down, complete player on the other side who plays well against the run and can disrupt behind the LOS.

I think they need to find someone to replace Hendrickson next season, who can rotate, and who can pick-up his production if hurt.  I just don't see a  post-third round talent in this draft being that guy.   Maybe I'm wrong, dunno, but they need another premiere talent like Hendrickson (also because he gets hurt a lot), and I'm not sure if you wait until next season to get him.  I'd also like to see someone rotate more often with Hendrickson to keep his legs fresh and lessen odds of injury etc.,., 

I'm just thinking at this point, they need to find "that" guy in the 1st or 2nd round.  I don't think they can afford an impact FA there at this point, or any time soon with the extensions looming.

• Like 1

Basham looks like he could replace either Gunther or Sample after watching his NFL tape.  Can contribute on ST's (FG blocks) and seems to be quicker/faster than Sample, while still being able to defend the run.  Makes more plays than Sample (who came on a bit last season but I don't know that he can do much more than he has). 

They like Sample as depth, and I'm not impressed at all with Gunther, so maybe he has an impact,  and they still draft someone, dunno.  But it's possible Basham lowers the draft priority more than I thought.  Maybe they just go with those 6 guys.

Irv Smith is a slight downgrade to Hurst IMO,  which is fine for now, but I think TE is a first 3 round pick still.  No way you pass-up this draft's TE's early when you desperately need one.

Looking more and more like OT at #28, or maybe CB or DT, but this isn't the draft thread, just thoughts on how the FA's might affect the draft.

In no particular order, my guess at the position groups for first 3 picks would be CB, TE, RB.   

1. Too many bodies at OT right now.  Can't get out of Williams $12m without a trade.  Can line up and play today and in 2024 with bodies they have on the roster.  Would need to see a trade and confirm who's going to guard etc.  I think that doesn't get sorted out til TC. 

2. TE - down 1 spot already.  Will be a hole in 2024.  Draft is deep.

3. CB - down 1 spot already.  Major hole going into 2024 offseason.  Draft is deep.  Franchise position.

4. RB - down 1 spot already.   Many think Mixon won't play on the $10m salary this year so I doubt many think the Bengals are going to pay him $20m for this season or next.  

I don't see major deals for Apple or Flowers at this point they only thing changing would be IF they could lock them in past 2024.     I don't see a major deal for a FA RB at this point. 

I do see room for a versatile Safety as well that could swing back and forth from CB. 

I think we could all argue a specific direction and be correct for whatever the reasons.

3 weeks out from the draft and here are my thoughts.  (Subject to change of course)

#28-  If Darnell Wright is there, he's the guy I want regardless of what happens with bitchass Jonah.  Wright would probably be a better option than the scrum of Adeniji, Carman, Smith and Ford in 2023 and certainly will be in 2024 when Jonah certainly won't be on the roster.  If Jonah doesn't leave, this pick is more about the future of the o-line, which should ALWAYS be a consideration.

If Darnell Wright is gone, which is possible, then I think we see CB and TE become targets, minus someone falling they didn't expect.  Another Darnell to watch would be TE Darnell Washington.  The fact he's like another OT on the line has to be VERY appealing to the coaches.  Him being a huge target and a solid pass catcher is a bonus.  That pick wouldn't surprise me in the least.

CB is another position that will always garner consideration early due to how the NFL has turned into such a passing event and I expect one within the first three rounds.

RB is an outlier to me.  I want one, but fully expect them to pay Mixon his ridiculous salary.  They could go RB later and still get really good value.  I actually like this RB class through many rounds.

Again, with 3 weeks to go, things could change.  Started to get all geeked up about the draft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I think we could all argue a specific direction and be correct for whatever the reasons.

3 weeks out from the draft and here are my thoughts.  (Subject to change of course)

#28-  If Darnell Wright is there, he's the guy I want regardless of what happens with bitchass Jonah.  Wright would probably be a better option than the scrum of Adeniji, Carman, Smith and Ford in 2024 and certainly will be in 2024 when Jonah certainly won't be on the roster.  If Jonah doesn't leave, this pick is more about the future of the o-line, which should ALWAYS be a consideration.

If Darnell Wright is gone, which is possible, then I think we see CB and TE become targets, minus someone falling they didn't expect.  Another Darnell to watch would be TE Darnell Washington.  The fact he's like another OT on the line has to be VERY appealing to the coaches.  Him being a huge target and a solid pass catcher is a bonus.  That pick wouldn't surprise me in the least.

CB is another position that will always garner consideration early due to how the NFL has turned into such a passing event and I expect one within the first three rounds.

RB is an outlier to me.  I want one, but fully expect them to pay Mixon his ridiculous salary.  They could go RB later and still get really good value.  I actually like this RB class through many rounds.

Again, with 3 weeks to go, things could change.  Started to get all geeked up about the draft.

I just don’t see them paying Mixon his current number.

30 minutes ago, COB said:

I just don’t see them paying Mixon his current number.

Well, if they aren’t going to extend Burrow before the start of the season, and for all the chatter I see no sign that the two sides have gone beyond polite conversation, there’s no reason to dump Mixon. The draft could change calculations, extension talks could heat up, nothing is set in stone. But at this point, all cutting Mixon does is blow a hole in the roster to no purpose.

Again, I like Mixon.  I want Mixon on the roster.  Just not at nearly 13 million per year.
That kind of shit just isn't smart when trying to work Burrow and Higgins extensions, let alone others like Wilson.

The fact Austin Eckler is currently getting paid less than 7 million per year and people talking about how RB's aren't making that much, tells the story.  13 million is fucking ridiculous.  Like I said, I fully expect them to pay that for his services in 2023.  Shocking would be seeing the Bengals do something different than that.

Free agency doesn't do anything about that though.  They could bring in whomever they like to add to that group and they are simply filling Perine's void.

• Like 1

Depth comes in all forms when replacing production.    When Chase went down there were important catches made by Perine, Hurst, and Mixon.  That trio was instrumental in counter acting the cover 2.   They lost 2 of the 3.     Irv Smith is quite capable of replacing Hurst, IMO IF he's healthy.    But Perine and Mixon?

I'm not hot and bothered about Mixon's money until RB room takes more shape.   If it comes down to paying Mixon his current contract this year so be it.     IMO,  Mixon's division playoff game is worth it all by itself. 

You just don't know what you are going to run into during a season.   As it stands right now,  I'd rather overspend on Mixon.   I also believe Perine carved out a nice role on the team but people went too far with Mixon protection issue.   Sure Perine better blocker and Mixon not a great blocker.   I think Mixon could back fill some of that role. 

Now they sign McKinnon or Fournette that changes things.   Zeke does very little for me at this point.    Current backs EVan and Williams - somethings has kept them off the field.   I'm not sure what,  I just know they have not been big factors despite being with the team.

Again, I'm only reiterating what has already been said about the RB's.  Still don't care.
Mixon bringing what he brings to the field is wanted and needed.  That doesn't make 13 million make sense.
It doesn't.

I want someone more dynamic with the ball in their hands to add to the mix.  
In my opinion that is something this offense is lacking.  Free agency isn't going to bring that.
The draft holds that possibility, but who knows?

If it were me, I would add another RB currently on the street.  Don't care who.
Then I would add the best "playmaking" "homerun threat" I could in the draft.
I don't care if the kid is 5'4.  Is he a threat with the ball in his hands?  Yes?  ADD HIM !!

12 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

...all cutting Mixon does is blow a hole in the roster to no purpose.

Cue the smoke machine in the cafeteria at PBS.  All the bengals' employees, some press, and some random vendors and delivery drivers are seated on 5 dollar white plastic stack chairs.  TJ's granny is there in a black cocktail dress.  A makeshift stage is obscured by smoke.  

Suddenly loud techno music thumps at 11.  Mike Brown walks out from the smoke.  He's wearing a form fitting black turtleneck, and a headset microphone.  The music continues to play and Mike sort of dances Trump style, just moving his outstretched arms back and forth a bit.  He points at a couple employees.  The music dies down and Mike begins to speak.

"Hellooooo!  Hello Hello Hello!  Great to be here!'  

'We're here together because there is a lot of running back talk.  Some of the uninformed amongst us seem to think we're stuck in the old ways, that we're still about /tries to make air quotes hand gesture/ business as usual /ceases strange air quotes gesture/.  The future is now!  I'm here to lead us into tomorrow."

"I know what you're thinking, you're thinking, 'Mike, how can we field a football team without a proven running back?'  Well I've got news for you.  The question is how can we field a team with no running back at all?  That's right!  You heard right!  These skinny jeans /points at his legs, absolutely fucking gross/ say one thing!  They say I'm an interruptor.  Wait, I'm a disruptor.  I'm thinking of stuff so far out there that you can't believe I'm saying it!   

"As a disruptor, I'm leveraging things.  I'm a multiplier that knows how to implement constant and never-ending improvement!  I'm constantly innovating in a way customers care about.  And I just cut Joe Mixon about ten minutes ago.  He was a diminisher who didn't understand how to stand out in a crowded world."

The techno music inexplicably starts thumping at 11.  Mike looks confused, waves his arms, makes throat slashing gesture.  The music stops.

"We all know the world is changing.  And this business will only thrive if we change with it!  I'm targeting a very overlooked customer segment, the group of customers who want to watch us play without a twelve million dollar running back.  That's the future!  That's our future!  Let's hear it!"

Pump up music thumps at 11, the smoke machine comes on again, Mike recedes into the smoke, doing the strange arm dance, not moving any other part of his body. 

• Thanks 1

That dude has a long history of really funny QB reviews/evals.  He was a hot stuff qb recruit, played at a couple different schools.  Guarantee his real opinion of Burrow is way different than “he’s a diabetic on dialysis.”

On 4/5/2023 at 7:51 AM, AMPHAR said:

In no particular order, my guess at the position groups for first 3 picks would be CB, TE, RB.   

1. Too many bodies at OT right now.  Can't get out of Williams $12m without a trade.  Can line up and play today and in 2024 with bodies they have on the roster.  Would need to see a trade and confirm who's going to guard etc.  I think that doesn't get sorted out til TC. 

2. TE - down 1 spot already.  Will be a hole in 2024.  Draft is deep.

3. CB - down 1 spot already.  Major hole going into 2024 offseason.  Draft is deep.  Franchise position.

4. RB - down 1 spot already.   Many think Mixon won't play on the $10m salary this year so I doubt many think the Bengals are going to pay him $20m for this season or next.  

I don't see major deals for Apple or Flowers at this point they only thing changing would be IF they could lock them in past 2024.     I don't see a major deal for a FA RB at this point. 

I do see room for a versatile Safety as well that could swing back and forth from CB. 

Depending on Jonah, at least right now, seems pretty risky.