2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Hard to believe he’s only 24 years old. I think I first had him mistaken for someone else. There’s another TE that has made rounds from one team to another but can’t think of his name.

Anyway, another get healthy and we are good guy.

Edit: I went looking because it was annoying me. OJ Howard is who I was thinking of. 

Him and Jones both in on one year deals and have had injury problems.
Would be really nice if both had stellar seasons.  If that gets us back to the Super Bowl, that would be awesome, but it would also probably mean they leave in 2024.  Like I have read to the point, these signing still don't keep the team from addressing both CB and TE early in the draft.  I'm good with that.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

If that gets us back to the Super Bowl, that would be awesome, but it would also probably mean they leave in 2024.  

That is true and I think it’s what is pulling these guys to us.  They see a stint on a good team like the Bengals as the way to a multi year deal that they currently can’t pull.  Worked for Hayden Hurst.  

I like the fact the last two signings are former top 150 draft picks.     If both can get and stay on the field it will be a big help.   A vet RB really frees up the draft board.   Would still like to see either Apple or Flowers return before the draft.   I still think Williams will be moved prior to the draft or at least hope so.   Hopefully that produces another top 150 draft pick or player.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Him and Jones both in on one year deals and have had injury problems.
Would be really nice if both had stellar seasons.  I that gets us back to the Super Bowl, that would be awesome, but it would also probably mean they leave in 2024.  Like I have read to the point, these signing still don't keep the team from addressing both CB and TE early in the draft.  I'm good with that.

Well, that’s they key. There’s nothing wrong with these signings as long as the Bengals treat anything they get out of these guys as a bonus. As you say, we still need long term solutions at both positions and these guys are almost certainly not that.

No I have no issue with these guys signing here.

Cornerback is a position where I could see the Bengals signing to a long term deal if they have a good season, but I don't really see that for the TE spot.  Why sign a guy like Hurst to a long term deal when he's only going to get the 5th amount of targets his way in this offense?  There's not enough production from that spot to warrant that kind of deal.

As an example, lets say the Bengals feel the best approach is to take a TE at #28 this year in comparison to the deal Hurst just got from the Panthers.  Hurst got a 3 year deal for 21.7 million and 13 million of that guaranteed.  The #28 pick will get slightly more than the #28 pick from 2022, which was Devonte Wyatt of the Packers.  His rookie wage scale contract nets him a 4 year deal with 12.8 million, which was guaranteed.  You also can't forget they can pick up his 5th year option as well.  Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not suggesting a rookie is going to be Hayden Hurst in his rookie year, but I would bet that he won't be far off on his target share within this offense.  

Again, I could be wrong, but when looking at all the other big deals they have coming up, they won't be investing much outside of picks at the TE spot.  The Panthers suck and they are lacking talent.  They could afford to pay Hurst on that deal and will be taking a QB #1 overall and build around him like we did with Burrow.

Just jumped into my head and I have no idea how close they were, but Jonah Williams and Irv Smith Jr. played together while at Alabama for two seasons (2017-2018).  In this scenario, if everything goes according to coach Zac's plan, the two could end up playing next to each other if Jonah pulls his head out of his ass and competes for the RT spot.

Kelsey Conway
@KelseyLConway
·
20m
Spoke with Vikings HC Kevin O’Connell about the #Bengals new TE Irv Smith:

“Great with the football in his hands and is very rarely going to get tackled by the first defender.”

“I think there’s a lot of really, really good football in front of Irv.”

1 hour ago, COB said:

Drew Sample can be a contributor.  He has been in the past.  His draft spot now is irrelevant.  It’s truly what he can contribute and what he costs.  We need TE depth so this dude fits the bill.

this

as long as it is a vetmin contract with performance incentives, I dont see any problem with adding him back to the roster

he knows the offense and provides some continuity

I get the use of the word "suck" here Army, but I doubt any other vetmin guy we'd sign would exceed the "suck" level either.  so gimme a guy who knows the offense and is good for the locker room at that same price and probable same performance level

I say all this on the assumption that he has recovered from the injury he sustained early last year......but I dont honestly know if he has or not.  Mr Google didnt know either, but said that he passed out toys at a hospital in December, so I'd guess he is good to go full by now