2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Bengals' running out of cash - despite Baghdad Hob's salary cap #'s, my understanding is they currently have about $10m available.

Maybe they are waiting for the draft, before cutting/signing anyone else.   

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-set-to-host-uc-pro-day-as-they-pivot-to-nfl-draft

22 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Bengals' running out of cash - despite Baghdad Hob's salary cap #'s, my understanding is they currently have about $10m available.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-set-to-host-uc-pro-day-as-they-pivot-to-nfl-draft

According to spotrac.com, they have a projected rookie pool of $7.6 million to go with just $9.8 million in cap space.

***damn rookie pool! That bastard!

10 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Same site has them $109m under in 2024 including $47m rollover and $29m earmarked for Burrow.   They have a lot of key free agents after 2023.    You'll probably need 20-25m off the top to franchise one player (CB, WR, DE) in 2024. 

By my count for realistic depth and competition. Hopefully they can get some of these players signed past 2023 and 2024.

2 CB - Apple/Flowers - need them or equivalents.   I would like to add one in the draft if possible.

2 TE -  They haven't gotten the vet signed yet.   Should have an opportunity to add a rookie

1 S - I like the safeties in the draft maybe add one there? 

2 RB - If people want to cut Mixon you'll need 2 from somewhere.   Looks like draft at this point.

Their current cap consist of 13 OL costing about $55m.   10 are probably going to make it is just a question of who.  Jonah Williams trade or LC cut would take it out of Spotrac's numbers.

This picture tells you they have work to do before the draft. 

109 million in cap space sounds really good.
What people forget is it's not like we will have a full team under contract AND the 109 million to spend on upgrading the roster. (I'm not saying you AMPHAR just making a point) The reason for that 109 million is that half the starters for 2023 will no longer be under contract.  If we don't spend the 109 million on extending those players, new ones will need to be found.

This year is no exception.  Plenty of people talking about how much room the Bengals have.  An OT, LB, Safety and few other minor signings and we are at less than 10 million remaining.  When looking at big deals coming for Burrow, Chase, and Higgins (if he sticks), this is why people are suggesting players need to be restructured or let go.

It's the burden of success in building a roster that competes for the Super Bowl each year.
You can't pay everyone.  That 109 million will be gone so quick it won't be funny.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I have to admit in connection to this, Army, that they sent so much money on Pratt and Brown while they have said that they would be extending New Guy this offseason

There's not much left in the piggybank to do so

Well, maybe. Or maybe — just maybe, mind you — Mikey (who last time I saw was said to be worth just under a billion) & Co. are…how to put this…somewhat exaggerating the size of the void in that piggybank.

As to the issue of cap space it’s important to remember that Joe already counts more than $11 million against this year’s cap and $29.5 million against 2024’s. So while squeezing in his monster contract won’t be easy, they’ve got $40 million in space to work with before they need to find new room.

True dat.  ie the first 11M of a replacement contract is already factored in, or said another way, if the replacement contract 2023 hit is 12M, the total impact to this years cap is only adding 1M

I know we wont get word til April at the earliest due to how the rules work with guaranteed money, but I hope they are working out the terms now

New Guy aside, I am eager to hear announcements that they've signed Apple and Flowers, with Apple's terms including STFU bonuses.  He talks, he makes less.  I am fine with that.   I'd be OK with them signing Drew Sample as long as it is a vetmin only contract

• Like 1

Ass who knows our system and hasnt been a troublemaker and is capable of being solid as our TE3=vetmin contract

He will definitely need to be a bigger contributor on special teams this year

all this presumes of course that he has recovered from his season-ending surgery in 2022, and I dont honestly know his status right now

Hurst aside, none of the other TEs did anything that impressed me.  

If not Sample, tho, who would be optimal as our TE3 at this point? 

So still ass nonetheless...

I get it, we have zero TE's at this point.
I'm really hoping they get Foster if even on a one year deal.
Still draft a TE at some point and pick up another during cutdowns and shit.

If it has to be Sample, I guess there are worse things, but that dude is not good.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

Im hoping you didnt miss the part where they added a pro bowl wr?

you think a lot higher of Moore than I do. He's pro bowl receiver like Huntley is a pro bowl qb...

Seriously, are you having me on? Is this a punked bit?

He had 37 catches for 446 yards last year - 12.1 average with 1 TD. And that was his sophomore season. He's got talent but...your reaction here is kinda weird.  Losing their 2nd for that resume is...weird?

Just now, ArmyBengal said:

By pro bowl you mean a WR that has yet to eclipse 550 yards in a season ??  Yeah, color me unconcerned.

Yeah, I am genuinely confused. His two year CAREER stats are 80 catches for 984 yards and 6 TDs.  Tee eclipsed that in year 1. Chase murdered that in HIS year 1. Why is TJ losing his shit over this?