2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Bengals are signing former 2019 2nd rounders for depth on the cheap.    Chiefs are giving them 3 years and $60m and starting them at LT.

Advantage Bengals.   If Ford can send some one to the wavier wire in August so be it.   Scharping proved to be a nice late add in the Wild Card and Divisional round.   Got ate up in the AFC Champ game.

Great Scott!   I like the speculation of multi year deal.  Again start ticking off those 2024 spots.

This is a trust in Lou signing.    They are down 2 safeties so there is roster room to add 1 more if they want to.

Not a whole lot of Ram fan message boards on the topic, what little I did find was disappointment he wouldn't be back.  Also they think Rapp is crapp to put it nicely.

From what I can tell, Scott is a downgrade from Bell, though how much of the difference is due to system/how they were used I can’t say. But they needed to sign a vet and they did, and I still have hope for Tycen Anderson turning into something.

Important thing imo is that it continues to free up the draft. No need to reach for guys in a desperate attempt to fill holes.

27 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

From what I can tell, Scott is a downgrade from Bell, though how much of the difference is due to system/how they were used I can’t say. But they needed to sign a vet and they did, and I still have hope for Tycen Anderson turning into something.

Important thing imo is that it continues to free up the draft. No need to reach for guys in a desperate attempt to fill holes.

Definitely not as productive, small, younger, but trending in Bell's direction, so yeah maybe the system change helps.  They're talking to Rapp also, wonder if they'll sign both.  

5 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Definitely not as productive, small, younger, but trending in Bell's direction, so yeah maybe the system change helps.  They're talking to Rapp also, wonder if they'll sign both.  

I wouldn’t object.

9 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Gotcha. I’m with you Hoosier, not upset. Fills a hole, but with what ?? 

Value only, that’s about what we expected.  When they let guys walk for the affordable deals offered elsewhere, the only conclusion is we’re going to sign a lesser, cheaper, option.  

It’s going to put pressure on the coaches, hopefully they can coach these new guys up and scheme to dampen the effects of any deficiencies they might have.  

They had to get better on the o-line and they did.  

Oh I get that COB.  That was more a question specific to Scott.  Not sure what to expect there.
Again, if i'm getting Orlando Brown for the same price as Jessie Bates, I'm happy as hell.
It's just hoping for the best.  Hoping Dax Hill is the real deal and doesn't fall flat.
We will really need him to step up huge this season.

Safety is going to this year's Left Guard convo during TC.    Bates/Bell were first day FA losses.   Any safety sitting around now obviously isn't going to have the resume of those 2.    I personally think rookies can come in and contribute at S rather quickly, but no one really wants to assume that.    Safety is going to be talked about for this team until the regular season games start taking place.

Hopefully they get something done CB wise soon because they still have significant snaps at risk on the FA market.   Apple/Flowers need to be reupped or replaced.    Otherwise the whole secondary will be TC convo. 

Just now, volcom69 said:

So Williams wants traded, so I say trade him and get what you can for him. In fact I thought Jackson Carman looked better then him when he got his chances coming in. Get what you can for him

Yeah I just don't know.   The Carman experience in the playoffs was refreshing but the Rams had a similar experience with Noteblom or whatever filling in for Whitworth a couple times he struggled this year.   You just don't know until you get a string of games.

Although if he's going to be disgruntled and you can get $12m and something back for him, then maybe.

27 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Yeah I just don't know.   The Carman experience in the playoffs was refreshing but the Rams had a similar experience with Noteblom or whatever filling in for Whitworth a couple times he struggled this year.   You just don't know until you get a string of games.

Reportedly they are letting Ford compete for the RT job as well. Helps explains why Jonah is butthurt.

13 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I had the same reaction. 

There was more...

I was thinking, just compete and stop being such a butthurt little bitch.
Here's another idea Jonah, teams like versatile OT's and you are a year from free agency.
It's not like you will be back in 2024.  Get the experience, help win a Super Bowl and get paid the next year.
Only a bitch walks away at this point.  Respect lost for this dude.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stripes said:

I have zero interest in anything Jackson Carman. 

I might be in the 5-10% interest, but certainly not more.
Rooting for him, but not expecting anything.  If Pollack thinks Carman is a "glass eater", maybe glass means something different than what I was thinking.  Twinkies?

Yeah,  I really don't know what the RT spot will look like.   Just know when you add 1 body another eventually will be leaving.     The only question was how unknown was the trade request to the Bengals.      Was it assumed or where they counting Jonah to be the RT?

I'm sure the particulars of the Free Agency workings will trickle out at some point.    Jonah Williams can probably get more $$$ via a trade and contract rework than his $12m so I don't blame him.    Heck Jawan Taylor's of the world are getting $20m to be LT.   Really can't blame him.

Ford, Carmen, Adeniji, Collins is another heartburn TC convo at RT along with new safeties.