2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

54 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh, there are plenty of good RBs and I think they’ll draft one. He can then take over the Chris Evans spot on the bench. I don’’t know what it is about this team, they’ll draft em but won’t play em.

I just don't think Fournette would be willing to take the Perine role, will get a better offer.  But I get the idea, he fits Taylor's offense.

• Like 1

It only takes one GM, coach or whatever to think Jonah could use a change of scenery. Couple that with the fact it really is hard to find even an average LT for trade and they might get someone to make an offer.

I would quickly take anything 4th round or above, save the 12 million for one of the many others coming due, and draft a new OT next month to bring along.

I still think Jonah needs to man the fuck up and get reps at RT. I was intrigued thinking about him as the starting RT. Far more than any other player on the roster not named Collins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

I have no idea who is going to trade for Jonah or what they would give up.   If I was a Jag fan I would have never thought some team would swoop in a give a under whelming right tackle $20m a year to switch to left tackle.

I think this goes back to what was reported before.   Line coaches, scouts, whatever know they can't accurately project college tackles into the NFL so they are opting for tackles with NFL film to evaluate, I guess.

Personally,  I have no idea what the Bengals do at RT.   I've thought since the day he was drafted Carman was targeted for RT, he's got power, he's put that on film, he's also road the bench.    I would love for Jonah to reconsider and give some comfort at RT, but would take a 2nd or 3rd right now.

That is what I think the Bengals' will demand, and he' s not worth it and his salary,  so I assume he is forced to play or hold-out and lose his checks? 

They almost have to go RT with the 1st pick at this point IMO.  If Dawand Jones' is there, how do you pass that up?

He’s not going to hold out. He’s going to be a dick for a bit and I get it, they just hired someone for his job and that sucks, but such is the business he chose. Eventually he will get over it.

As for a trade, I don’t see it but who knows. Like army says it just takes one team to fall in love.

Holy shit, Ian Rapaport, a very reliable source, says in regards to Jonah trade: 

“There’s definitely some interest and I could see a deal happening very soon.”

I DEMAND a second round pick and a player.  Tackles are very hard to come by these days, even marginally competent guys (55th in ESPN’s pass block win rate last season, I think that qualifies as marginally competent.)

The cupboard is bare in the TE room, so I won't complain, but I want a TE from the draft as our starter come week 1.
No reason to spend big at the position when there are so many mouths to feed in this offense.
Get the rookie on the cheap and build into what we do for the next 4-5 seasons.

I’m sure they will grab a vet TE and he won’t cost much. There’s no TE market to speak of this year. I think Hurst was about the only guy to get paid. Gesicki had to settle for a 1 year deal in NE. Dalton Schultz is still out there for heaven’s sake. 

So there’s this story on the Scott signing on bengals.com here:

https://www.bengals.com/news/nick-scott-agreement-follows-roster-formula

and I’m looking at the picture at the top and I have to ask if I have missed something. Are pockets like not cool anymore and all the hip kids just stuff things down the front of their pants now? Is there a name for this? Are there rules? I have a feeling COB probably knows…

Kaepernick was the most egregious example of collusion.  By demanding a fully guaranteed deal Lamar has handed the owners just enough for them to have plausible deniability.  The owners couldn’t even deny it with Kaepernick.  They quietly paid him off.  

If I were Lamar’s agent I’d target several teams, wait until there is a week left in his offer window, then notify them I’ve moved off fully guaranteed deal, let the offers roll in.  I’d also let the Ravens know you’d better not match it, I have no interest or intent to play in Baltimore ever again.  

He’ll end up with the second most guaranteed money ever (behind Watson), and with enough money that he won’t even know what to do with it all.  

To sun it all up, more than anything, Lamar just needs an agent.  

• Like 1

A 25 year old QB whose play style has a proven short shelf life in the nfl (see Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick) and who has already missed 10 games over the past two seasons. And to get him you have to give up two first round picks and hand this oft injured guy a fully guaranteed $50 million a year contract. And even then you might have just wasted all your time because the Ravens can match and so all you do is their work for them.  Gee, I can’t imagine why there’s so little interest.

The owners absolutely collude.  In this case I do think there is some collusion but not an all-in agreement.  

More like an unspoken thing, they all understand that 100% guarantees are bad for them.  

The union should negotiate the following - do away with the rule that requires ownership to put into escrow the full amount that is guaranteed under these giant contracts.  (Signed, Mike Brown).

Kapernick was absolutely blackballed, no argument there. Lamar OTOH is just a guy whose price tag is way too high. 

The escrow thing definitely needs to be revisited, but I’m not sure getting rid of it is the way to go. The more deals get guaranteed, the less free agency there is, because teams can’t cut guys and create space. At least that’s my first thought. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

The more deals get guaranteed, the less free agency there is, because teams can’t cut guys and create space. At least that’s my first thought. 

Good thinking.  You should be an agent.  Or a lawyer.

side note: it looks like Dan Snyder’s reign of belligerent incompetence is coming to an end.  Pretty clear the Washington team will have a new owner very soon.