2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

I cut Mixon on his salary alone if he doesn't want to restructure.
I would have done it earlier, would have done it after Perine left, and will feel that way a month from now.
You simply cannot pay him nearly 13 million to play in 2023 regardless of what your cap is.
It's just a stupid decision.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I cut Mixon on his salary alone if he doesn't want to restructure.
I would have done it earlier, would have done it after Perine left, and will feel that way a month from now.
You simply cannot pay him nearly 13 million to play in 2023 regardless of what your cap is.
It's just a stupid decision.

Nah.  That's not real smart.   You don't cut Mixon until you've secured his replacement and/or need his cap room.     Then even if they secured his replacement there is a stance you don't cut him til after the draft because its likely the Bengals won't need his cap room til summer.    That would be a dick move but certainly a strategic one. 

I have no idea why Bengal fans get emotional over certain players but any suggestion that its smart roster management having just Chris Evans  at RB when the team goal is to win the AFC and Superbowl before the draft just isn't smart.     

Perine unexpectedly jumping ship proves the point.   

24 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I’m not concerned with losing Perine, and I think they should still move on from Mixon. The Running Back Store is never out of stock.

Perine is a loss.    Teams can get pressure with 4 and park 2 deep safeties.    Perine can be replaced but its not as easy to not be concerned at all.    They dumped it off to Mixon and Perine a bunch and let them get YAC.    Not every back in the running back store is good at that.

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Hate to see Perine go, but that's why you don't prematurely cut Mixon.      That said, rumors are the Bengals are in the mix with Jamal Williams and Burrow was having dinner at Precinct with Austin Ekeler.    

I doubt Perine leaving was a surprise to the Bengals. His deal was small and easily matched should they have actually wanted him back. If an additional $2 million a year over what he’d been making was really too large a burden, the Bengals might want to reconsider what business they’re in.

As to the Eckler report, I wouldn’t believe everything you read on Reddit. He only got permission to seek a trade yesterday afternoon so that seems a bit…quick. In any event trading for a 27-year-old RB due to make IIRC $6.25 million this year (in other words, almost as much as Perine’s two-year contract) doesn’t seem likely to me. But I guess we’ll see.

Not sure which fans are emotional about any player.
Again, I don't really care and am certainly not emotional about any of them.
Well, maybe Burrow...

Again, you don't pay Mixon nearly 13 million.  There is NOTHING smart about that.
Want him to stay?  Fine.  I'm totally ok with that. Restructure.
Want to pay him 13 million to not even be a top half of the league RB ??  Yes, stupid.

Just now, HoosierCat said:

I doubt Perine leaving was a surprise to the Bengals. His deal was small and easily matched should they have actually wanted him back. If an additional $2 million a year over what he’d been making was really too large a burden, the Bengals might want to reconsider what business they’re in.

As to the Eckler report, I wouldn’t believe everything you read on Reddit. He only got permission to seek a trade yesterday afternoon so that seems a bit…quick. In any event trading for a 27-year-old RB due to make IIRC $6.25 million this year (in other words, almost as much as Perine’s two-year contract) doesn’t seem likely to me. But I guess we’ll see.

I don't think any of these FA losses are surprises to the Bengals.     The Ekeler report is just fun.   I doubt the Chargers who I assume want to win the AFC don't think the best way to do that is sending him to the AFC Champs and Runner up the past two years.   

As a whole none of the Bengals FAs were must keeps but they are must replace.   No way Bengals walk into draft with $29m in cap room having this many holes.  

EXACTLY what I have been saying this whole time for the people talking about how much money the Bengals have in cap room.  That didn't come from saavy contract formulation.  It came from having all these players from 2022 no longer under contract.  Those players either need to be resigned or new ones found.

13 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Not sure which fans are emotional about any player.
Again, I don't really care and am certainly not emotional about any of them.
Well, maybe Burrow...

Again, you don't pay Mixon nearly 13 million.  There is NOTHING smart about that.
Want him to stay?  Fine.  I'm totally ok with that. Restructure.
Want to pay him 13 million to not even be a top half of the league RB ??  Yes, stupid.

No one is demanding they honor Mixon's contract.    You don't need to cut him until you need the money or you have his replacement.   Losing Perine proves the point.

If another RB doesn't appear soon.   It might not be stupid to pay Mixon.    You act like this guy can't make a NFL roster or thinking walking into draft day with Williams/Evans as your backs is the best thing to do.   Its not.

I'm not to overly concerned with Mike Brown's wallet.    Simple point is teams defend Burrow by rushing 4 and park two deep safeties.   Perine could catch and run he's gone.   Mixon can too,  he can't be gone until they have someone that can replace.    To suggest cutting Mixon at this point is saying goodbye to 600+ reception yards with just Evan and Williams bourbon brothers to replace.

15 minutes ago, COB said:

Hurst gone?  We are going to be the youngest team in the nfl.  

Well, they could push the collective age up a bit with Darius Slay.

I mean, I give it about a 0.001% chance, but I’d put in a call. CB market hasn’t been particularly nuts and teams are getting more and more leery of older DBs. Even at 32 Slay would be an upgrade over Apple imho.

11 minutes ago, COB said:

Tobin going all in on turning Cincy into the land of the prove-it deal.  

Putting Burrow on a hook, tossing him behind the USS Value Only and trolling the murky waters of mid level free agency.

Hey, it hooked Pratt! 

But to clarify, they aren’t using Burrow as bait, much too expensive. Mikey has him polishing the brass in the dining room while he puts another ball of mushed-up Wheaties (from a box he found in the dumpster) on the line.

Some tidbits on Slay & CJGJ from Jeff Kerr at cbs:

Some information on the Darius Slay release by the Eagles

He wanted a guaranteed deal. The Eagles wanted to restructure. They couldn't come to terms on a restructured deal. 

Slay was released to save a significant amount of cap space with a post-June 1 release. The Eagles have James Bradberry in tow and are pushing to re-sign C.J. Gardner-Johnson. They're in talks. 

God bless...

No one is demanding we cut Mixon.  However, restructuring him should be on the to do list.
I'm not concerned about Mike Brown's wallet.  I also don't care ONE BIT, about Mixon being a bottom half of the league RB on someone else's roster.  I will thank him on his way out.  I also never suggested he can't make an NFL roster, I'm quite certain he can.

Colour me slightly worried, why are these guys(minus Bates) leaving a team that has gone to two straight AFC championship games and is probably their best chance at winning a ring.  Panthers no chance, Denver wtf and now Hurst who professed we were using him as he wanted to be used.  Is this Mikey coming out the woodworks and low balling contracts or is there a master plan that we have no inkling of.  

Just running down the list so far:

Bates - was gone from the get-go. Bengals used a first round pick last April on his replacement. And as army noted, money still talks and $65 million says a lot.

Pratt - retained, surprisingly. Score one for the Bengals FO which had the ILB market pegged. Said he wanted to stay and win but also got fairly paid, maybe even a teeny tiny bit (like $1-2m over the life of the deal) overpaid.

Bell - Bengals may have misjudged his market a bit. $13m guaranteed is probably more than they were counting on and the structure put nearly all the contract in the first two years at a time when the team is trying to direct as much cash as possible into the Joe Burrow Money Castle Fund. End of the day $13m guaranteed talks.

Perine - I suspect they were ok with moving on. Deep draft for RBs. Good on Samaje for getting a nice raise versus his last contract.

Hurst - Same. Deep draft for TEs. Good on Hayden for parlaying a one-year stopgap contract into a three year deal.

If any of these come back to haunt them it will be Bell imho. Probably ought not to let both starting safeties go, and it’s not just me saying that, it’s Anarumo. If they are going to do anything more than root around in the bargain bin, that’s where they should do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1