2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

May as well get this started. First thing that pops to mind is Bates. He wanted top dollar last time around, I wonder what his offers will look like now. On the one hand he had a career high four picks and only allowed about 50% of targets to be completed (another career high). OTOH he allowed a career-high 4 TDs and unlike last season made zero plays in the playoffs.

Someone will probably throw a Brink’s truck at him because free agency and after drafting Hill last year I don’t think he’s in the Bengals’ plans. But I don’t think this season did much to advance his case for big bucks.

I expect to lose Bates and Pratt. Someone out there will offer stupid money to each of them, and the Bengals won't be able to match that with Burrowgeddon looming. It'd be a bummer, but also manageable from a team-building standpoint. I care more about corner and the DL than LB or S anyway.

Bengals are projected $44.5m under the cap with 41 signed. 

Other teams of interest:

1. Baltimore $28.8m with 49 signed but a looming QB contract situation

2. Kansas City $12m with only 35 signed - they will have a lot cap juggling to do

3. Pittsburgh - $4m OVER -

4. Cleveland - $14m OVER

5. Buffalo - $20.5m OVER

So the direct competition to another Division title defense and path to another AFC Championship have interesting cap situations.

Well, the reportedly just gave the QB coach a fat extension, so they seem to be working to keep the band together on that front.

Losing Lou was my biggest concern but it seems like teams are looking for HCs with an offensive background these days.

Get me pass rush in both FA and the draft

I had said when we were looking to sign Collins that we'd need a strong backup ORT because of his injury history.  I was laughed at for this.   Here's me laughing sadly back (as I wish he could stay healthy)

So we also need a new ORT to groom.   Gimme this guy as the r2 or r3 pick at latest

I dont think we've seen enough good from Carman to declare him the new OLT, but with Jonah under contract in 2023 he will have another year to establish himself there or prove we need to look elsewhere.  So OLT can wait, unless theres a talented high effort project available in r6 or later

Pratt has been so hugely pissy since about the mid point of the season that I cant see him returning for any amount of money.  I see him agreeing to terms with another team within seconds of it being legal to do so.   So a middle tier FA should be brought in to fill his spot, preferably a LB who is at least above average in coverage

Ive already said g'bye to Bates in my mind.  Will always love and appreciate what he did for us, but he is a money over team guy and so he can leave with nary a tear from me.  That said, I dont think Dax is ready (or will be ready, come September) to take over.

Losing Lou is my biggest concern.     I think its a foregone conclusion that Callahan will eventually get a HC job.   He's got a top 10 offense with a MVP finalist QB; he also has a Manning reference, and all sorts of NFL family connections; eventually someone will tap into that.

Given Taylor's connections and his brothers Connections,  I think offensive coaching pieces will be easier to find replacements.

I would think that Pitcher has the inside track on the OC job if Callahan moves on.

ETA: yeah Hobs hints pretty strongly that’s the case in his latest: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-begin-offseason-routine-after-one-of-their-best-seasons-ever-was-far-fro

Other bits:

Pratt & Bates both want to come back, but Bates doesn’t sound hopeful on the money front

Cappa would have been back for the Super Bowl

Still no timetable on Chido’s recovery

Paul Alexander has never sniffed an AFC Championship Game and has no idea what he's talking about. He certainly knows the Burfict/Pacman incident well, and that's because he was a part of a losing tradition. So he can fuck right off back to whatever he was doing before.

Joseph Ossai had an excellent game and committed a basic human error in a split second situation.

I don't like the decision Ossai made there.  It's one thing to have your momentum carry yourself into a player, but this was more than a simple unavoidable collision.
He gave Mahomes a shove well after being out of bounds.  It was a very bad decision on his part and that flag had to be thrown.

All that being said, I understand what comes along with making bad decisions that affect many people and how it can stick with someone for an extended time.
I truly hope Ossai can move past it sooner rather than later, because I think he's a good player and I want him to stick around.  Own the play and move forward, don't let it define you.
I feel bad for him not just because of the outcome, but how the cameras focused on him at one of his most vulnerable and emotional moments.

I wish him nothing but the best and hope the team rallies around him.  

And to Paul Alexander...  at your soonest convenience, please go fuck yourself.
What a piece of shit.

Oh yeah, free agency...  There's too many unknowns at this point to try to guess.

Burrow should be the first piece to that and then move from there.  I hope they get that done sooner rather than later as well.
I don't want that hanging over everything else.

After that, what I hope for is as much continuity as possible and upgrades where they can get them done.
Jonah, Volson, Karras, and Cappa should all be there to start the 2023 season, but Collins tore his ACL and MCL in week 16, so he might not see the field in 2023.
RT needs to be the priority and don't care if they do it via free agency or the draft.  Considering future contracts coming due, I would guess the draft.
After that, I have no issue with trying to build the depth of the line at any position the teams desires.

I still have no thought of Bates being here under a long term contract.  He was franchise tagged and got 12.9 million last year.
Unless there was guarantee when he signed the tag, I believe the Bengals could tag him again at less than 16 million.
I would rather them try to tag and trade, as oppose to let him walk.  He's looking for top of the market (18 million) and the tag wouldn't impede a trade.
Yes, it would piss off Bates, but at that point, who cares?  Do you want a 3rd round comp or what could come in a potential trade that would surely be more.
What the hell do I know though ??

Well Bates would still need to sign the tag in order for the team to trade him, but if he wants a bigger contract (he does), I don't think that would be an impediment.
He has already stated that while he wants to stay with the Bengals, he can't leave 10 million on the table. 
I would make a bet another team would be willing to give more than a 3 round comp and have him sit at a table of his liking.
Don't get me wrong, I love Bates and think he deserves to be paid.  However, I don't think that position is where we need to spend 18+ million per year.
Thanks for everything Jessie and nothing but the best !!!

If we have a strategy to get something for Bates rather than just let him walk, then by all means, hell yes, do it

My single dollar I have available to bet (and its in loose change) says he walks with no compensation except maybe, depending on how it goes, we get comp pick in rounds 3 or 4

Id love for him to stay another year and help groom Dax, but I just dont see that in the cards given the dollars (which would not be in loose change) he is demanding

I think we have to look at picking up a r3 or r4 Comp Pick as Plan A but of course look hard at any offers that would yield something (anything) slightly better than a r3 Compensatory pick.  That plan has to be worked out in full before the tag deadline, with full consideration to other players we might need to tag

I forget - are there two tags available now, or just 1?

I think the Bengals spend FA dollars on retaining/replacing defense.    Hopefully some summer time extensions too.    I really don't see them shopping for starters in FA until they lose a FA. 

Hurst enters FA but there is also a good TE class waiting to be drafted as well.    I could see a good deal for Hurst. 

I think the line comes back in full except maybe a change at RT.   I always thought Carman was drafted to be groomed as a tackle.  Whether or not that was true it seems to have ended up at that spot.   Also Jonah Williams is in his last year.    Collins wasn't great at being available to practice at Training Camp this year.   Cowboys got irritated at him for similar stuff and found his replacement.    I could see a draft pick coming for tackle.    Not sure Bengals would want to once again shop for aging RT vet with suffering key injuries two years in a row.

From what I am reading La'el could (should?) be recovered right around the time of training camp

That said, I stated when we were pursuing him that due to his injury history we'd need a sturdy and talented backup. 

and I was laughed at for sayign so.  but lo and behold, he got injured.  and here we are.  ORT is an issue.....again

so I see us as either

a) deciding he is done as a Bengal, in which case we need to get a veteran ORT in free agency

or

b) deciding he will return, which means we draft his heir apparent no later than round 3 or decide Scharping, who was a college tackle and is still early in his career, moves to ORT

I think I believe in option B with a early ORT draft pick at this point, but of course Pollack would know far better than I if Scharping is an ORT candidate