2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

You want a trade, Jonah Williams?  Do you have the name of an NFL team that wants to give any value for one of the worst starting left tackles in the league last year, who is coming off knee surgery, who is prohibitively expensive, who will only be contractually bound for one year?  What a bargain.  

Hey NFL team GMs, come quick.  We’re willing to trade Jonah Williams, please ignore the fact that his poor play cost us both a Super Bowl and an AFC championship game, and also please ignore the fact that our top priority this offseason was upgrading from him. 

First offer just came in, the Anderson Township High School nerf wars team is down a man, and they’ve offered the broken Gatorade refrigerator that’s been sitting in the baseball equipment shed for 3 years, and some steel shelving they pulled out when they remodeled the library. 

• Haha 2

Rapaport on twitter:

“Williams becomes the top tackle available if Cincy is willing to move on.”

He thinks there is a market for this dude?  Let the offers start rolling in!  We’ve got a guy here who will walk into your building and lock down your RT spot for 7 or 8 years.  Bring it!

30 minutes ago, COB said:

First offer just came in, the Anderson Township High School nerf wars team is down a man, and they’ve offered the broken Gatorade refrigerator that’s been sitting in the baseball equipment shed for 3 years, and some steel shelving they pulled out when they remodeled the library. 

This post really is good COB. 
Well done sir.

52 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Bears supposedly were in on all the Free Agent tackles but got shut out for what ever reasons.   They have draft capital.   I would think they could get involved with Jonah and even rework his deal.

That’d work.  Then if he revives his career at least he’s in the NFC.  Pollack has a better opinion than we do regarding Jonah’s ability to switch to the right side.  If he’s pessimistic, trade him!  What would his value be?  

I just don't know how much someone is giving up for an injury prone, mediocre LT who can't stay healthy for any real period of time.  He's young and a former top 10 pick.  That's it.  So was Andre Smith.   What team would he start for? (barring a future injury situation and desperation for some team) Especially if he only wants to play LT.

Not sure if releasing him costs money yet, offhand, but if someone wants to pay an iffy LT with potential left that much money for a year, I'd take a 7th rounder at this point, if it means extending someone else with the cap space.   It's that or he doesn't report and doesn't get paid, then Katie buys a 2023 Lumina.

Nick Scott's a done deal.  

"Former Rams safety Nick Scott reached agreement on a three-year, $12 million deal with the Bengals, per source. Scott helped beat them in the Super Bowl and now will try to help the Bengals win their own." - Schefter

---------------------

I will put my 2 cents in that I think this was a necessary signing and a good one.  The more Scott has played, the more he produces.  His experience is needed also.  ST's stand out, quality depth at the very least.

17 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Nick Scott's a done deal.  

"Former Rams safety Nick Scott reached agreement on a three-year, $12 million deal with the Bengals, per source. Scott helped beat them in the Super Bowl and now will try to help the Bengals win their own." - Schefter

---------------------

I will put my 2 cents in that I think this was a necessary signing and a good one.  The more Scott has played, the more he produces.  His experience is needed also.  ST's stand out, quality depth at the very least.

https://twitter.com/_Jo3y/status/1636880982128340992?s=20

Some Twitterer's Nick Scott highlights (INT's/PD only):  (despite PFF 77 Run Def rating - which is very Bell-like) 

https://twitter.com/TylerBoydSzn/status/1636534097035112449?s=20

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Bucs just released my old draft crush Leonard Fournette. He never lived up to his draft hype but production-wise he’s pretty comparable to Perine. Would be worth kicking the tires there I think.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leonard-fournette-landing-spots-buccaneers-parting-ways-with-rb-after-veteran-requests-to-be-released/

5 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Gotta take a pass (edit: someone will scoop him up before the Bengals I think).  I liked him too when he was younger, like Zeke.  But they aren't the same now. (not sure what's going on with the forum BTW, lmao, security cert issue it seems maybe,  won't allow embeds and is loading non-secure pages unless you browser force it etc...,).

"However, Fournette's 2022 season got off to a rocky start when he showed up overweight to the team's OTAs and mandatory minicamp last offseason. He went on to average 3.5 yards per carry in 2022, the lowest of his Buccaneers career and the second-lowest number in the entire NFL that season among qualified rushers, ahead of only New York Jets running back Michael Carter. His dual-threat abilities as both a rusher and receiver still shined, though, as he was only one of three players in the entire league last season with over 650 rushing yards (668) and over 500 receiving yards (523) along with San Francisco 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey and Ekeler. "

Fournette - carried the load for 3 seasons at LSU, then got worked for 6 seasons via the Jags and Bucs.  So 9 straight seasons as the man.  Has struggled some with injuries.  He’s 28, and the dude’s got some serious miles on him.  He sure doesn’t seem to fit the prototype the Bengals have been favoring lately.  I would pass but maybe the team likes him, we’ll see.  Looks to me like a guy looking for one last contract.  

21 minutes ago, COB said:

Fournette - carried the load for 3 seasons at LSU, then got worked for 6 seasons via the Jags and Bucs.  So 9 straight seasons as the man.  Has struggled some with injuries.  He’s 28, and the dude’s got some serious miles on him.  He sure doesn’t seem to fit the prototype the Bengals have been favoring lately.  I would pass but maybe the team likes him, we’ll see.  Looks to me like a guy looking for one last contract.  

Thing is, Mixon actually has more miles on him. 300 more carries over 6 seasons. And Fournette’s arguably a better receiver. We don’t need him to be the man, just a number 2 who could handle the starting role for the couple games Mixon seems to miss every year.

23 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Loved Fournette coming out in the draft.

Dude has been beaten for years and is a shell of his former self. Hard NO. Give me the young kid in the draft with something to prove.

Oh, there are plenty of good RBs and I think they’ll draft one. He can then take over the Chris Evans spot on the bench. I don’’t know what it is about this team, they’ll draft em but won’t play em.

31 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Get the talking heads to keep saying dumb shit like Williams being worth a low 2nd or 3rd and maybe some desperate GM makes it happen.

Bears, I’m looking at you !!

I have no idea who is going to trade for Jonah or what they would give up.   If I was a Jag fan I would have never thought some team would swoop in a give a under whelming right tackle $20m a year to switch to left tackle.

I think this goes back to what was reported before.   Line coaches, scouts, whatever know they can't accurately project college tackles into the NFL so they are opting for tackles with NFL film to evaluate, I guess.

Personally,  I have no idea what the Bengals do at RT.   I've thought since the day he was drafted Carman was targeted for RT, he's got power, he's put that on film, he's also road the bench.    I would love for Jonah to reconsider and give some comfort at RT, but would take a 2nd or 3rd right now.