2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Losing Bell sucks, sounds like they had the money for either Bell or Pratt and Bell moved on and Pratt got the deal. Was not expecting both safeties to leave this offseason, especially since they were the ones back there getting the defense set. That’s a tough one

I wonder what Bell got in Carolina.

No news on the Bates front so far, which is a bit interesting since supposedly Atlanta was hot for him, and the Falcons have been very busy today, but he hasn’t been part of it (so far).

Cleveland was said to be interested but that was predicated on them release in Johnson, which as far as I know they haven’t.

I saw the 9ers mentioned as a possibility too but the more teams get named the more I suspect an agent blowing smoke.

Still think he’s gone but it ain’t happened yet.

3 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I wonder what Bell got in Carolina.

No news on the Bates front so far, which is a bit interesting since supposedly Atlanta was hot for him, and the Falcons have been very busy today, but he hasn’t been part of it (so far).

Cleveland was said to be interested but that was predicated on them release in Johnson, which as far as I know they haven’t.

I saw the 9ers mentioned as a possibility too but the more teams get named the more I suspect an agent blowing smoke.

Still think he’s gone but it ain’t happened yet.

Reportedly $7m which is about what Pratt got.   So I'm guessing it was an either/or but not both, who wants to get paid?  

Prob money for Pratt or Bell but not both. Love love love Von Bell but he will be 30 at end of the contract he just signed - Bengals MO has been of late not to do that third deal. Hard to say they've been wrong with that. 

Gardner Johnson would be an excellent pick up and he's mixing it up on twitter with some Bengals players. 

It sounds like  Zac Carter and Hilton are recruiting him.   I would be floored if this were to happen because I assumed he gonna be right there in Bates market.

Maybe Bengals have a $13-15m deal out there for higher level safeties?  First come, first served.   Who know?  I would be shocked and awed. 

Jessie Bates’ agent is a fucking idiot.  He got that contract for Watson which I don’t think turned out to be good for either party.  They already had to re-do it.  He’s probably playing hardball but if he waits too long his market is going to shrink.  NFL owners don’t bid against themselves, unless we’re talking about a certain truck stop fraudster who takes draft advice from derelicts outside a 7-11.

• Like 1

Well, that’s that:

Safety Jessie Bates III is expected to sign a four-year, $64.02 million deal with the Atlanta Falcons, according to ESPN's Schefter. The deal includes $23 million in year one and $36 million in the first two years of the deal, per source.

Edit: since been updated to $65.02 million.

3 hours ago, COB said:

Patrick Peterson sending signals he’s not worrying about Ohio Workers Compensation regs.  Dude would be a hell of an addition, assuming he’s a good fit culture-wise.  Can really play.

Signing with Pitt.

5 minutes ago, COB said:

I’m in shock over that bates contract.  He’ll make more in his first year than Pratt will over his whole deal.

I am sure his money castle will be of great use every January, when he can sit in it and watch the Bengals in the playoffs.

• Thanks 1

Actually good signing by the Clowns unfortunately.

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to a three-year deal with DE Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. Okoronkwo will likely replace Jadeveon Clowney as Cleveland's defensive end starter opposite Myles Garrett.

I heard on the radio, Bates just became the 4th highest paid safety ever in the league.  Honestly, I love the guy’s game, but he hasn’t been the top tier player he was his first few years.  He showed up in the playoffs this year, no doubt.  But regular season the last couple years he’s been good, that’s it, a good player.

$13m guaranteed on a $22.5m deal isn’t really unusual. Guarantees these days normally run about half the total of deal, unless your name is Watson. That can be done, say 4/5/6 in salary with year one and a $7m SB guaranteed for hits of 6.3/7.3/8.3 or thereabouts.

In fact this appears to be roughly what they did for Pratt: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/13/germaine-pratt-bengals-contract-details-explained/

$7m guaranteed SB, $3m year one for $10m total up front for a $5.4m cap hit this year.