2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

I’m assuming they’ll try to find a FA safety looking  for his second deal.  The main knock against Vonn Bell, who I think signed a reasonable contract, is that he was looking for his third deal.  A deal that will carry him into his thirties.  You all know the Bengals.  

It would really surprise me if they stand pat with the inexperienced back end of their defense.  They should be looking for the same thing they signed with Vonn Bell.  Decent 4 year veteran.  

Projections of 3rd and 5th round comp pick based on loss of Bell/Bates.   Major roster holes in 2024 so I would expect them not to sign FAs that are going to destroy the extra picks without factoring in on the 2024/2025 roster.   That's the reality they are in now.     We'll see.    Maybe bigger focus on 1 year vet that has been cut?  Any safeties that fill that bill?

I

Top 5 FA remaining per ESPN:

1. OT Orlando Brown Jr.
6. TE Dalton Schultz
7. CB James Bradberry
8. S C.J. Gardner-Johnson
14. LB Lavonte David

KC already splurged in the oline market yesterday so it looks like they are resigned to parting ways with Brown. And no, I don’t expect the Bengals to go there. Still, imagining TJ’s reaction makes me giggle…

If it wasn’t for how strong the TE class is this year I would be screaming for them to go after Schultz. As is it would be nice but don’t see them in the market.

Bradberry and G-J are both guys I think they have to at least make a phone call on with Bates and Vonn now gone and Eli set to hit FA tomorrow.

As for David, sorry, that cash is ticketed to Logan Wilson now.

There's a couple interesting safeties out there.  Taylor Rapp (Rams)  and former Ram/Browns (Johnson).    Former 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.     Just throwing it out there. 

Gardner-Johnson is interesting because he's still blowing in the wind.   Big money goes fast to the prospects that are most desired.   So maybe his market isn't what it was thought to be or maybe he signs a top market deal in a couple hours?   

Anyway I think the Bengals are going to try to keep that replacement safety deal below what is assumed the Pratt/Bell allocation. 

All those guys are worth a call too. Like I said down on the draft board they really need to find at least a stopgap because it’s a thin year at safety.

RE CJGJ, the rumor is that Philly is still in the mix. It sounds like they would like to keep him (and Eagles fans are losing their shit at the prospect of him leaving) but he wants to dip his toe into the market and see if anyone bites. That would likely put him out of the Bengals range. But like I said they should make the call to be sure.

The salary projections for CJ Garner-Johnson are kind of a mystery to me.  He had a good year last year on a great team.

But his seasons before last year were with the Saints, and he wasn’t great, was he?  They traded him after two unremarkable seasons to the Eagles.  CJGJ and a 7th round pick to the Eagles for a 5th and a low 6th round pick.  I don’t know what he was doing in New Orleans, other than just being there.  Would absolutely not over pay for this dude.

He was in a Bates-esque situation in NO: good player who would have required top of the market money to keep. Whereas the Bengals chose to tag Bates and get a final year, then let him walk, NO took the trade him & get some value option. Apparently he’s still looking for a payday, which likely takes him out of consideration in Cincy.

As for talent, I think he’s pretty good. NO played him as a slot corner as well as a safety and he was arguably better in the slot than at safety. Also loves to talk trash more than Eli, so there’s that.

Perine to Denver.  Ugh.   Barring a big signing, I guess they're keeping Mixon (why? I would've just paid Perine and cut Mixon, who is a weaker redundancy IMO).  

The Bengals' have plenty of cap space even with extensions,  not sure I understand the lack of activity to get better right now.  Let's hope it makes sense soon.

Cowboys get Gilmore in trade with Colts, I saw where they recently signed Vander Esch to a 2 year deal today.

The Cowboys entered this offseason well over the salary cap for 2023, but that hasn't stopped them from making some moves.

They helped themselves by clearing more than $30 million in cap space by restructuring the contracts of quarterback Dak Prescott and guard Zack Martin, have placed the franchise tag on running back Tony Pollard and brought back standout safety Donovan Wilson on a three-year, $24 million deal.

Among the team's remaining unsigned players are tight end Dalton Schultz, linebacker Leighton Vander Esch and defensive end Dante Fowler Jr.

52 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Perine to Denver.  Ugh.   Barring a big signing, I guess they're keeping Mixon (why? I would've just paid Perine and cut Mixon, who is a weaker redundancy IMO).  

The Bengals' have plenty of cap space even with extensions,  not sure I understand the lack of activity to get better right now.  Let's hope it makes sense soon.

Well that sucks.

Dalton is somehow still getting paid well and starting games:  ($8 mil guaranteed/2yrs for $10m, to be the bridge starter/vet for the Panthers). 

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1635761577818308610?s=20

"Free-agent DT Larry Ogunjobi is headed back to the Steelers on a three-year, $28.75 million deal that will pay him $21.75 million in the first two years, per source."

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1635749114989142019?s=20