2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

On 3/11/2023 at 9:50 AM, COB said:

Dehner in the Athletic just posted a piece that provides insight into what the Bengals will do both in FA and the draft.  I trust his judgment, I know the team is not explicitly telling him what they’ll do, but he’s capable of reading between the lines and deducing the negative inference from a positive statement or no statement at all.  

Basically:  He says Germaine Pratt, Eli Apple, Jessie Bates, and yes, sorry Amphar, but Joe Mixon, are all certainly gone.  

He also completely rains on your parade if you’re looking for any splash in free agency.  We got Cappa and Karas last year on day 1, but he said this year forget it.  

Instead of external FA they’ll focus on their own priorities - Perine, Hayden Hurst, and Vonn Bell.  

Gimme a lineman?  He says that at best they’ll be looking for “insurance” at right tackle.  Very interesting that he said the team is devoted to Collins and he thinks they’ll keep him even if he starts the season on PUP, which we all know he will.  

Also fascinating, this quote about Jonah: “Leader in the clubhouse to be starting left tackle next year, but the reluctance of anyone to say that directly raises eyebrows.”

Dehner does not wildly speculate.  He’s pretty buttoned down.  That little nugget he dropped there gives hope to those of us who are tired of watching Jonah get folded, that, if his knee doesn’t heal AND allow him to play at a higher level than ‘22, then they’ll do something.  What they’ll do, I have no idea.  My fear is they’ll wait to see if Jonah’s knee is right, and by the time they figure out it isn’t, (August), it’ll be too late to find a significant upgrade.  

Dehner predicted draft picks like second round RB, late round linebacker, etc.  who knows.  

He kicked dirt on the grave of Dru Chrisman’s Bengals career as follows:

“The Drue Chrisman era ended the moment his punt to Skyy Moore buzzed low and down the middle of the field in the AFC Championship Game.”

I don't care about Joe Mixon being gone.   It would be foolish to cut him with $35m of cap room and no replacement plan secured.  

If possible I would drag it out post draft.  I have heard local media on Mixon before and the speculation has been Mixon won't be on roster at his current cap hit.   Making it sound like a restructure will be or has been pursued.

Mixon will play next year why would you give another team an opportunity to fill a roster spot before the draft and simultaneously create another offseason need?

Supposedly Bengals are looking at rb from Detroit.  Williams.

11 hours ago, COB said:

I just find it funny the way all these stories have been worded.  “The bengals are seeking to introduce legislation…” like the Bengals have a seat the the state senate or something.  

Well, y’know, this is America and the rich & powerful do sort of have seats in the governing body of your choice. They don’t contribute to all those politicians for nothing. As for this the NFLPA was clear in its alert letter that Bengals ownership was lobbying legislators for the change (see https://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/nflpa-bengals-ownership-is-attempting-to-strip-workers-compensation-benefits-from-ohio-athletes for example). Whether they are successful, we will see.

15 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, y’know, this is America and the rich & powerful do sort of have seats in the governing body of your choice. They don’t contribute to all those politicians for nothing. As for this the NFLPA was clear in its alert letter that Bengals ownership was lobbying legislators for the change (see https://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/nflpa-bengals-ownership-is-attempting-to-strip-workers-compensation-benefits-from-ohio-athletes for example). Whether they are successful, we will see.

Nobody in the NFLPA is rich?  Nobody in the NFLPA or the NFLPA itself contributes to politicians?  

But hey, Mina was alarmed, lol.     Does Mina from ESPN send out tweets on every political contribution she's personally alarmed over or when the NFLPA calls ESPN and tells them to be alarmed?   Just wondering.

15 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Nobody in the NFLPA is rich?  Nobody in the NFLPA or the NFLPA itself contributes to politicians?  

Of course they do. They would be included in the “rich & powerful.” I’m sure they’re doing their own lobbying for all the stuff they want.

16 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

But hey, Mina was alarmed, lol.     Does Mina from ESPN send out tweets on every political contribution she's personally alarmed over or when the NFLPA calls ESPN and tells them to be alarmed?   Just wondering.

Well, I’m not on Twitter any more, but when I was it pretty common for news organizations to tweet out news. It’s also pretty common for organizations like labor unions to put out press releases and alerts to members about legislative proposals they oppose.

Cleveland also kicked the can further down the road by restructuring Watson.    They have cap room to sign players now.   Watson's cap hit will be $64m for next year.    Watson's contract will always have to be dealt with for a Cleveland offseason.    Its a huge gamble for them.

1 minute ago, AMPHAR said:

Cleveland also kicked the can further down the road by restructuring Watson.    They have cap room to sign players now.

Watson trying to help.  Advice to Watson - you can help them by simply not being one of the worst QBs in the league. 

5 minutes ago, COB said:

Patrick Peterson sending signals he’s not worrying about Ohio Workers Compensation regs.  Dude would be a hell of an addition, assuming he’s a good fit culture-wise.  Can really play.

Saw that. Yeah, would be worth a call.

26 minutes ago, membengal said:

WHOA

Surprise!  Thought he was gone and at $7m per season sounds like a good cap hit.   I thought he would have been out of their price range but I guess not.

Pratt was smart to get it done on first day of FA.    Money dries up fast. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I had seen most places that Pratt's value on the open market was north of 10 million per season.
3 years at 21 million is a fucking steal !!!

Yup. Nothing to complain about here. Bears gave Edwards $19.5 million over three years so I’d guess that those open market estimates for LB in FA this year were a bit high. Once Edwards signed this was an easy deal to take.

Sucks about Bell but there is a deep draft class and FA class for safeties.    My guess would be Bengals weren't going to sign both Bell and Pratt.   Pratt took their money and Bell moved on.    In an either/or situation assuming cap hit the same I'd probably take Pratt over Bell due to age.