2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

At the end of the day, I think Perine being gone is the most significant change we are going to see.

The idea of moving on from Mixon was premised on needing/using his money and cap space to extend Burrow. That doesn’t appear anywhere close to happening, so Mixon at $12.7 million it is.

I prefer Fournette to Elliot in the debate (such as it is) over a veteran signing, but there’s never much of a market for used starting RBs, and if anything there’s less of one this year (waves at Austin Eckler). So I expect the Bengals will wait and see how things fall in the draft. If the opportunity presents itself to get a talented rookie runner, then they probably just roll with the current lineup plus the new guy. If not they’ll probably pick up a vet sometime later.

I think something will happen with Mixon.    Katie's comments along with Tobin's prior comments seems to hint that something will eventually happen.    Whether its a cut or restructure/pay cut we'll see.  

My wish list of RBs out of the crazy rumors during the offseason

1. Ekeler or Henry - Pipe dreams but those are 2 moves that basically stamp them as AFC favorite screw anyone else.  I doubt Tenn or SD would doom the AFC like that even if the Bengals were interested.

2. McKinnon - was a wish list item last year and I think he really has possibility to improve the offense.

3. Fournette - never really considered it before looking at his passing stats.  Would be an upgrade to the offense as well.

4. Elliot - its La'el Collins all over again.   A name people would get excited about, probably even "freak" over.   Which is good offseason fun.  I don't think he'd end up being as impactful as the hype.   I also think it still leaves the Bengals wanting to find a RB that would be on the field in passing situations and 2 minute offense.  Concerns over him losing a step are real, IMO.

Bengals might try to pair a rookie with Mixon.   I dunno know.   I think analyst run too much with "pass protecting" back.    Get a decent rookie pair with Mixon maybe gives Mixon more work in passing downs.   Would that proposition sink the offense out of the top 10?   Doubtful.    Just like the bold predictions Fournette would flounder in Tampa Bay because he was a horrible pass protector.   Seemed to work out fine for them.

Oh, something will happen with Mixon, I just don't think it will be this year. Right now the Bengals have $17.7 million in cap space, per spotrac. That doesn't yet include Jones or Smith, who will shave off a couple million, but does include Orlando Brown. They have 66 guys under contract and seven draftees incoming, so there's no gaping holes they need to throw money at. And they have plenty of space and money to sign the rooks.

So while they could save $7.5 million in cap space and about $10 million in actual cash money by cutting Mixon, they don't need either unless they extend Burrow. That doesn't appear to be imminent. Plenty of time for that to change but at the moment it feels like both Burrow's extension and Mixon's fate are subjects for the next offseason (and in Burrow's case maybe even the offseason after that).

Tarrell Basham has signed with the Bengals.    Former 3rd round pick of the Colts.    Edge rusher.  29 years old.  Has bounced around a few places.    11 career sacks.   Highest sack total in 1 season is 3.5.   Hopefully he can provide a couple rush snaps through out the year and match or create a new career high. 

I always like adding former top 150 picks.

Funny, I really like Basham coming out of college. Had him on my last mock draft for that year. Lost track of him after the draft but he may do well in Lou’s defense. Can’t hurt…

Might also have something to do with Ossai having shoulder surgery on a torn rotator cuff just recently.

• Like 1

They're both injury prone, but fortunately, given their contracts, we're not taking much of a risk and the potential upside is huge

the Cincyjungle article on the new DE does make a good point - he had a PFF rating of 73 last year - which is outstanding - albeit it was with limited snaps

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tarell-basham/11835

I'd love it if one of you has PFF paywall access and could tell us the breakdown between his ratings for pass defense and run defense

Maybe he's turning the corner?  and we are picking him up right as the lights are turning on?

I  need to look at what Edge guys may fall to #28, I don't know what else they have planned, but depth is fine if it's an upgrade to say, Sample (Basham).   With Hendrickson likely gone next year, and being their only real sack threat, who's constantly dinged-up,  and they were 4th last in sacks, they really need to find an impact ER.  

Not sure they can afford one in FA, so better draft well, one injury away from being last in the league in sacks, if no one step's up.   Regardless of Lou's system, you can't have that.

I’m still all in with Kancey at #28.

Put him next to Reader, getting pressure from the interior and your edge guys get more opportunities to eat.

Free agency?? I remember when Ngokwe or whatever his name is was the hottest thing going and he’s still on the street at this point.

The thing about DE or DT at 28 is, whenever I go that route in mocks, I seem to end up regretting it. I get to the second, third, fourth and there are always good dline prospects and I end up reaching for OL and TE.

Same happens, though not quite as much, when I go TE and DB.

The mocks I’m happiest with go OL at 28.

They need a consistent pass rushing threat,  rotational guy works if he's productive pressuring QB's.  I can't imagine that isn't a priority for them.  They had nothing with Hendrickson out against better teams.  They need more talent there, wherever it comes from I guess.

If the right OT falls to them, I'd be just as happy,  but want to see something added to their pass rush,  not more players named Sample (serviceable but low impact types).

14 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

The thing about DE or DT at 28 is, whenever I go that route in mocks, I seem to end up regretting it. I get to the second, third, fourth and there are always good dline prospects and I end up reaching for OL and TE.

Same happens, though not quite as much, when I go TE and DB.

The mocks I’m happiest with go OL at 28.

I’ve noticed that as well Hoosier and agree. Is it too much to ask for a draft that consists of:

1. Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
2. Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh
3. Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa

Again, I’m not thinking there’s much more to squeeze out of free agency at this point. 26 days until the draft and that’s probably the focus at this point.

• Like 1

Our sack numbers suck but there is one mitigating factor - Lou likes to cover and rush four.   In the playoffs on 3rd and long I saw him rush three.  

I’m all for drafting a good edge guy and I hope they get one.  But I also recognize that Lou is probably bottom 3 in the league in frequency of blitzing.  

7 hours ago, COB said:

Our sack numbers suck but there is one mitigating factor - Lou likes to cover and rush four.   In the playoffs on 3rd and long I saw him rush three.  

I’m all for drafting a good edge guy and I hope they get one.  But I also recognize that Lou is probably bottom 3 in the league in frequency of blitzing.  

Yeah, they were just outside the bottom 10 in terms of how often they blitzed last year. Funny thing is they rank much higher than that in the pressures, hurries and QB knockdowns they get, but in the bottom 5 in actual sacks. I’d guess that’s because Lou sends enough guys to get to the QB but not enough to hem him in and bring him down.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/opp.htm