2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

On 4/14/2023 at 11:34 PM, ArmyBengal said:

In a side note for locals…

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/first-star-logistics-annual-bengals-draft-party-tickets-602844964517

Lapham62 is the access code for anyone interested. Free tickets. ArmyBengal Jr. and I are headed down.

I clicked on “get tickets” at the bottom of the page you linked.  It asked for an access code, I tried Lapham62 but that didn’t work.  Any idea what you may have done differently to make it work?

I remember when the Bengals brought in Vonn Bell to the team and I was like, "That dude was still out there?" because it was a little later in the game.  With that thought in mind, I wonder if there isn't another player sitting out there the Bengals could bring in unexpectedly.  There are certainly enough guys still available at this point.

44 minutes ago, COB said:

AJ McCarron just threw for 6 tds and 420 (blaze it) yards in one game and he still has that wife who is a complete piece of ass.  Bring him in as our new QB2.  

Only if we re-sign AJ Green because AJ TO AJ IS THE FUTURE!

13 hours ago, COB said:

AJ McCarron just threw for 6 tds and 420 (blaze it) yards in one game and he still has that wife who is a complete piece of ass.  Bring him in as our new QB2.  

he said sometime recently that he prefers to play and get paid less than get paid more to hold a clipboard

Bengals were loaded in that era.   Playoff melt downs and bad luck really robbed those rosters of recognition they deserved.

Very similar to the late 80/early 90 Houston Oilers.   Loaded teams that ultimately suffer a playoff let down. 

Carson Palmer robbed himself of a legacy skipping out on those teams. 

Its a healthy debate IF you remove Coaching and QB from the equation about which roster was better 2014/15 or 2021/22?   Personally I think 2014/15 had a monster defense and a dominant OL.    You stick Burrow and Taylor on that sideline with that team and its a monster,  heck they only lost 4 games in 2015 anyway.   Really a question if Burrow/Taylor leadership could have brought wild cards like Pac Man and Burfict.

The 2005 Bengals were the best I’d seen since the 89 Super Bowl team.  Yeah, the D gave up yards but were first in turnovers in the NFL.  You had Deltha O’Neal and Tory James getting 15 picks total and Odell Thurman with 5 picks alone.  The offense ranked 4th in the NFL that year!

2015 was just a tad below 2005.  Better defense with less turnovers though.  Really really good offense, more balanced than 2005 but maybe not as explosive.  The 2021 team is of course a favorite now but the offensive line was so terrible that it is like that team nearly willed itself to a Super Bowl with some kind of voodoo Burrow magic.  Who would win if the 2021 Bengals played the 2005 Bengals or 2015 Bengals even ?  

Yeah, the '05 squad was a juggernaut. D was incredibly opportunistic and the O felt like it could score at will. I have no doubt they would have won the whole thing if it hadn't been for Kimo von Kneecapper.

I would probably rank them:

1. 2005

2. 2021

3. 2015

Back to topic, The Deal finally got done.

The trade compensation for Aaron Rodgers to the New York Jets is officially agreed upon, according to Adam Schefter.

The Jets receive Rodgers, pick No. 15, and a 2023 fifth-round pick (No. 170).

The Packers receive pick No. 13, a 2023 second-round pick (No. 42), a 2023 sixth-round pick (No. 207), and a conditional 2024 second-round pick that becomes a first-rounder if Rodgers plays 65% of plays this year.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2023/aaron-rodgers-jets-its