2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

If you were waiting for Tre Flowers to return, scratch him from your list.
He signed with the Falcons.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/08/falcons-sign-tre-flowers/

Adding Sidney Jones in the offseason, along with DJ Turner and DJ Ivey, they probably weren't all that concerned.  It's probably why Apple won't be back either unless his number is very small.

I liked Flowers and would have had no concerns with him returning.
I can only suspect the additions made him less of a concern for the coaching staff.
I'm hopeful Sidney Jones stays healthy and produces well.  I honestly think he will do well in Lou's defense.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

well, I was......and that sux

I mean, we dont need to cover any TEs this coming season, right?

You know we have hill and battle and Jones and Scott and Turner  etc etc etc , right?

there wasn’t even room for flowers in that room after the draft and free agency 

you cannot seriously react like this every time there is changeover. Flowers was LITERALLY a cut pickup from the Seahawks mid-year 2021. You think he was all that before we picked him up? Or maybe, just maybe, does LouA and this staff have an ability to teach and scheme this stuff up? 

You really think Flowers is not replaceable? REALLY?

you really think it's retain Flowers or we can't cover TEs? Is that your thesis? 

I mean, the NFL sure left Flowers out there a long fucking time, but, sure, letting him go was clearly stupid. 

5 hours ago, membengal said:

you cannot seriously react like this every time there is changeover. Flowers was LITERALLY a cut pickup from the Seahawks mid-year 2021. You think he was all that before we picked him up? Or maybe, just maybe, does LouA and this staff have an ability to teach and scheme this stuff up? 

You really think Flowers is not replaceable? REALLY?

I can and I do

Doesnt matter to me who cut him or whatever

He was a success in his specific role, and we dont have a replacement for that role

I would have loved  to have Flowers back at one point.    But he's been a bubble guy for a while.     After the draft, Flowers wasn't going to resign with the Bengals even IF they offered a 1 year.    Don't understand the mourning of a bubble guy moving on.    Flowers and his agent saw the crowded room and wisely moved on. 

Sign of good times with the Bengals...

How nice is it to have disagreements about bubble players that are no longer with the organization, as opposed to how the defense or offense is going to manage to be competent for the season?  It's like the team actually did leave town, but we kept the name, colors and history.  A new team was awarded to Cincinnati with a new coach and a #1 overall QB pick, which has produced amazingly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is talk out there about the Bengals and the RB position, but I haven't put much thought to any of if.

Cook and Henry are the two names that I've seen tossed around, but not much in regards to how that would happen.  Considering how much any of these guys cost, I can't say as I have much to add.  I more of a wait and see guy at this point.

Interesting names for sure.   They are in a dog fight to extend their playing careers.   Teams can bring 90 players to TC.   Of that 2,880 pool approx 500 are newly drafted/UDFA.      Retirement is calling for some of those dudes.

Can't believe Clowney is only 30.   He's been an available Free Agent so much it seems like he'd be 50.   It seems like there's always some fan base giddy to get him thinking they are getting an instant Monsters of the Midway pass rush.

Someone on the radio was talking about Zeke Elliot replacing Mixon.  IMO, Zeke's washed.  Dude can't get open if he runs a pass pattern beyond the LOS. 

Its always interesting how much name value some of these players still have. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was serious a couple weeks ago when I called him to be brought here. I don't think it'll happen, but I would support it. He has the same flaws as Mixon, but is probably still better at the strengths they share and would come at a similar price. Any upgrade is worthwhile when you're three centimeters from a Lombardi.