2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Nice column from Canfora today on Joe’s performance against the Cards.

https://wapo.st/3toyELo

Interesting proposal at the end:

With his quarterback no longer ailing quite as much, owner Mike Brown should dig deeper into his pockets to add a tight end before the trade deadline at the end of this month. “They need to replace what [Hayden] Hurst gave them last year,” the scout said. “They’re missing that size/speed/wingspan profile.” (I’d suggest calling Bill Belichick of the failing Patriots about languishing tight end Hunter Henry, or the winless Panthers about engineering a Hurst reunion).

Taking a flier on oft-injured Irv Smith Jr., a 2019 second-round pick, has been a bust, and the Bengals rank 27th in completions to tight ends and 30th in yardage, with a ridiculous 4.7 yards per attempt on throws to that position, according to TruMedia. Getting starting receiver Tee Higgins back from injury will eventually help, too.

Just looking at their contracts I don’t see either Hurst or Henry as a real possibility, but Smith has been a complete flop so far. Maybe Ertz or Waller if the Cards/Giants continue fading? 

Yeah that’s why I don’t see Hurst happening.

Oh, and meanwhile Sam LaPorta is having himself a nice little rookie season so far in Detroit. Maybe Murphy can get another sack this week against Seattle so I feel better about them passing on him…

I don't really blame the team from a process standpoint. They addressed the issue by grabbing Irv Smith to fill the Hayden Hurst role. On paper, that should be fine.

It just hasn't worked out. Sometimes free agents miss. It's clearly a hole right now though, and I wonder if there are two viable solutions (not great, but viable) already present that have been left under the rug because of Irv's presumptive starting role. Both Hudson and Wilcox could provide at least what Smith has provided so far, and I suspect they could do better. Last season when Hurst was out, Wilcox did a nice job. I think he could be the tight end version of Trenton Irwin given an opportunity.

• Like 1

Allow me to float an idea out there in the "WHAT IF" world of hypotheticals...

Since we are talking about how well Irwin filled in for Higgins during his absence and it appears Higgins is not in their long term plans, how about a trade involving Higgins?  Don't get me wrong, I love Tee and would love to see him stay as a part of this offense for as long as Burrow and Chase are here.  However, that does not appear to be in the cards.

On the flip side, a TE that can give us what we got out of Hurst would be a very welcomed to the offense.

A tight end I have enjoyed watching play for the past 4-5 years, currently on a 1 year deal (free agent in 2024), and has produced numbers far exceeding both Hurst and Uzomah, on a team lacking a true #1 WR, and a long term deal around 13-15 million per year as opposed to a Higgins deal around 22-25 million per year.

Texans TE, Dalton Schultz

Higgins is 3 years younger and plays a more high demand position, so I would assume the trade would also include a pick(s).  Getting a true high end TE and a pick for Higgins, instead of a comp pick in the 3rd some time down the road is far more appealing to me.

Obviously, that's pie in the sky stuff, but I could think of worse ideas.
Feel free to pick apart...

I’m always a fan of “if you aren’t going to re-sign them, get value for them” school. Schultz would be an interesting get, for sure. Higgins being hurt right now would be an impediment, I think, though probably not a deal breaker. Do the Texans have any young TEs who could step in?

They have two other guys that get reps.
Wouldn't say they are near the quality of Schultz, but if Schultz leaves next year, they get nothing.
The opportunity to add a true #1 WR to pair with rookie QB Stroud would be an amazing get for them.
Building around Stroud, who has started well this season would be the key.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Truthfully I didn’t expect anything to happen, but why not it makes no sense. I saw reports whether they are true are not about the Pats getting rid of there TE for low 2nd day picks, man that would have been so worth it. Oh well another year another no trade, they are right in the thick of things would be nice to try to add a player that might help make a difference. 

3 minutes ago, Stripes said:

The tight end position is a black hole, and probably the 32nd best unit in the NFL. That's a glaring problem for a perceived Super Bowl contender.

Still, there may be a solution yet available to the Bengals if they have the chutzpah to USE him: Tanner Hudson.

Can’t hurt to at least try