Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

Ah the NFL in April, a liar's banquet.

I don't believe for a second Lewis and Zimmer don't know exactly how any given player fits or doesn't fit into their system. I do think however they are not above flirting with Harrison to drive down the price for Dansby who does fit into the system spectacularly well....

Again proof that you cannot trust anything that comes from an NFL team in March or April

Alex overpaid

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/4/17/4234978/alex-smith-1-year-deal-worth-905000-according-to-reports

Why should we care about who the Bengals' over-pay? They never spend what they have to spend any ways.

The Ravens have little cap space, win the SB, and sign Elvis Dumervile (among others) and we're fretting about $900k to Alex Smith?

That's why the Ravens' are a force almost every season, "overrated" FA signings and letting mediocre LB's go. The Bengals' do the exact opposite.

I care because every dollar overspent on a 4th tier FA with no other suitors like this is a dollar we don't have for Geno, Dunlap, Dalton, and/or Green

Frankly, we could have gotten a younger equally mediocre TE for over 100k less and we should not have had to give him any bonus money at all

Also - exactly what else is there to talk about at the moment, Shula? :-)

On the contrary, the Bengals have historically spent very close to the cap.

They simple structure their contracts to be front loaded and eat up space.

Liking that or not is beside the point.

Since being able to carry cap space over from one year to the next, the Bengals have done that to prepare themselves for what is surely to come.

AJ and Atkins are going to cost them BIG TIME !!!

Now, if we get to a point where they are carrying 10 million over (that's the number thrown out) and then not getting players signed, then there is something more to bitch about. Then again, that's assuming those players want to stay here. Would it suprise anyone to see them either tag AJ or Atkins ?? I can't really say either of those two guys have much motivation to sign an early extension, minus the Bengals breaking the bank from the get go. Injuries, sminjuries, both of these guys stand to become the highest paid players at their positions and from a business standpoint the Bengals are going to have to throw some serious coin at them to get them to sign extensions.

The fact that none of this "plan", except the cap carryover, has occurred yet keeps me very pessimisitic

They have to wait on Dunlap and Geno as I understand it, due to new CBA restrictions. However, right this very minute, they have the opportunity to sign MJ to a longer term deal. I see absolutely bupkiss happening on that front. In the absence of all other readable signs (I wont count FZ because it is starting to look like he played well for the big payday only, and not for any love of the game, in which case, buh-bye), it begins to look like the Bengals intend to simply pocket cash, at which point I have (once again) question whether I should follow this team at all

They have the opportunity right now to show they care, and they need to start showing it

Agree they need to make moves to prove the point, but with the draft one week away, don't count on anything in the next week.

I think they have pretty much gotten to the point where they are done with big Dre and I am good with that.

I said if Dre puts the team in the position where they have to draft his replacement, then they need to go ahead and do just that and move on.

As for the others, I think the dominoes start to fall after they get through the draft and then seeing what happens with the cuts.

If they don't get things done, yeah, it will not paint a very good picture.

Here's a potential scenario for Andre: He and his agent tell (have probably already told) the Bengals to not even bother with the 6 million a year, 4-5 year offer, plus whatever signing bonus. The Bengals go elsewhere. Andre can't get a good offer, and is forced to accept a 1 year sort of prove yourself deal at 6-7 million from, say, the Jacksonville Jaguars. While under that one year deal, Andre's musculoskeletal system just plain raises the white flag and surrenders, finally defeated by years of having to haul his fat ass around. Said surrender takes the form of a foot or leg injury/fracture that won't let him heal back to 100% or anything close to it. He hits the DL, shops himself around next year, gets vet minimum for a two year deal and closes the whole storied career out by filing bankruptcy about 10 months after his last NFL paycheck shows up.

I remember him saying something during his first year along the lines of, well, I'd like to get in better shape, but I love Momma's cooking so much that it's not easy! Memo to Bengals and every other team in the NFL - when the guy you are spending millions on to physically perform for you tells you the tool he's going to use to render said performance (his body) won't be up to par because he cares more about shoveling Mommy's macaroni and cheese into his face than doing his job, run in the other direction.

when the guy you are spending millions on to physically perform for you tells you the tool he's going to use to render said performance (his body) won't be up to par because he cares more about shoveling Mommy's macaroni and cheese into his face than doing his job, run in the other direction.

+100

I am glad you said run instead of walk

Like anything else, being willing to offer an extension and said player being willing to accept that offer are two different things.

True enough, but.......I see no evidence that part A - the offer - is occurring at all

And I certainly never meant to insinuate that it was.

Time will tell.

This is pretty simple, leverage Harrison against Dansby, then sign Dansby. For once running an NFL franchise isn't that hard. Get it done. I'm not buying all this crap about Harrison is a good guy, etc. He's a douche. I don't want him on this team.

Well Harrison it is a guess, Hobson says they have an agreement. Bengals will now have a good LB group against the run but there pass defense as LBs will blow.

Guess he's our new starting Sam backer. Hey whatever I'm still hoping they draft one, but I doubt they will. He said nothing about Kerry Rhoads, and I really wanted a safety.

Starting to look like Safety with number 1 pick

Harrison isn't a bad pass covering linebacker. My concern is that he has no real place in our 4-3 and his ability to contribute will be stifled by making the adjustments. Whatever though, they addressed a position of serious need so I'll refrain from griping. They know more about James Harrison than I do.