Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

6 million ??

If the Bengals know the Steelers didn't want to pay him that, knowing what he does or doesn't bring to the table, it would be beyond stupid for the Bengals to do it regardless of how bad our LB's are. I think what works in the Bengals advantage here is knowing there are next to no other suitors for Harrison's services and he should be willing to take less now than he was before. I seriously don't think he will be that bad for us, think he will have motivation this coming season, and certainly has knowledge of the Steelers schemes. I won't complain all that much.

Generally I expect little from him (hell no to ten sacks) because he is old and playing in the wrong scheme. I don't really think he fits anywhere in our 4-3. He's no DE and he obviously can't occupy the same role he did in Pittsburgh since it doesn't exist here. Hopefully Zim can find a way to make use of him, if he ends up signing.

Why couldn't he get 10 sacks? If the bengals put toghter a contract filled with incentives on sacks, and the fact he will be very motivated to play I think he could. He had 6 sacks last year after being hurt, and if he is healthy now then who knows. I know it's the wrong scheme, but the bengals worked him out, and I really doubt they would sign him if he didnt fit somehow, my guess Zim has a plan for him.

Still want Dansby, but Harrison is still a good LB who can rush the passer. I still want then to draft a LB early though.

I don't think the question is, "why couldn't he get 10 sacks?" It's "who cares if he did?" The Bengals were third in the league in sacks last season. "Shoring up the pass rush" was on nobody's list of priorities this offseason. We don't need a linebacker who can rush the passer, we need one who can cover the gawd-blasted tight end.

I don't think the question is, "why couldn't he get 10 sacks?" It's "who cares if he did?" The Bengals were third in the league in sacks last season. "Shoring up the pass rush" was on nobody's list of priorities this offseason. We don't need a linebacker who can rush the passer, we need one who can cover the gawd-blasted tight end.

According to Hobson and others, Harrison did a good job of covering the TE, and running backs coming out of the backfield. Weather he can or not I don't know, but my guess is he will not be playing all 3 downs. Just trying to find positives about the signing if it happens lol.

Even at 34, he would be the best LB in the team.

He is a very old 3-4 linebacker

We play a 4-3 alignment and this is a young man's game

I think 55 is already a better backer ***for our system*** given the above

Exacerbating the problem is that he won't come cheap. While Pittsburgh was the team that benefited from his pro bowl and defensive player of the year accolades, we'll be paying our money for those dusty and distant laurels. He simply isnt that player anymore, but he'll expect to be paid as if all that happened last year

While I would have preferred Dansby and understand the hate for Harrison, I think people forget how bad our LB's are.

I have not forgotten that....I'm the guy who wants a LB at 21, right? :-)

I don't think at this point in his career and coming from a 3-4 alignment he's not goign to be any better than what we have

I also (as someone else mentioned) dont like the fact that this signing tends to push Rey back to MLB, where he was undeniably awful. So from my point of view, not only do we end up with an old, expensive, and ineffective SLB, we lose the opportunity to improve at MLB. So this is doubly, trebly, quadruply a bad, bad thing

so - I do want a linebacker, just not this one.

Dansby, who would com cheaper, was far more effective in 2012, and can play all three spots, would be MUCH MUCH better (realizing of course you have already ackowleged this as well in the quote above)

BOTTOM LINE: I look at this signing as making us WORSE, not better

Harrison, even at his age, is better than Manny Lawson, and that's all I care about - an upgrade.

Hopefully his play, if he signs, outweighs all the inevitable penalties he brings with him.

And beyond that, the Bengals' need to actually DO something to improve their roster, other than in the draft.

Harrison, even at his age, is better than Manny Lawson, and that's all I care about - an upgrade.

Hopefully his play, if he signs, outweighs all the inevitable penalties he brings with him.

And beyond that, the Bengals' need to actually DO something to improve their roster, other than in the draft.

But is Harrison at SLB ---plus--- the loss of a few million needed to resign Geno and Dunlap ---plus--- the result that Mauluaga stays at MLB (where he is absolutely awful) better than the alternative, which is Mauluaga to SLB (where he wasnt nearly as bad) plus a new MLB, like say Dansby?

Seriously, if someone can find where someone in the front office or one of the coaches said it was going to happen, i'd LOVE to see it.

Really, because I would be happy about it. That he would be competing with everyone else to earn that spot.

Thing is, it was mentioned as something someone could see as a possibility and it took on a life of it's own.

For everyone that thinks the solution to all of our LB problems will be found in the draft, I simply disagree.

It was the one spot I thought they could bring someone on and it not affect the drafting of an early LB.

Is competition between Harrison, Moch, and Maybin for that spot really all that bad ??

Many people say there is nothing saying such and such a player will even make it through camp and it won't hurt to bring such and such player in.

Well, I don't view Harrison as being any different than such and such.

While I still would have preferred Dansby (who wouldn't have come cheaper) I don't think it makes much difference.

If Harrison beats out the other guys and whoever we draft, than I guess we have the answer.

If not, he can be shown the door just like anyone else.

Is competition between Harrison, Moch, and Maybin for that spot really all that bad ??

Competition between an old washed up dude (sign 'em!), a guy who can't even get on the field due to chronic stress-induced migraines and an epic bust?

Yeah, that sounds like us. WTF bring it on. And bring a few cases of Jack, too. We'll need 'em.

Competition between an old washed up dude (sign 'em!), a guy who can't even get on the field due to chronic stress-induced migraines and an epic bust?

Yeah, that sounds like us. WTF bring it on. And bring a few cases of Jack, too. We'll need 'em.

That was in the spirit of competition and had nothing to do with whether I liked the situation.

Yeah, bring on the Jack. Not that I need something like this to enjoy a little beverage though.

I forget where I saw a small blurb, but I recall reading something about Moch being moved back to his college position at DE.

Not that I think it matters much if that were the case, but I always thought they should have left him there anyway.

The Bengals just don't seem very successful in figuring out which DE's are capable of making the move to LB.

I'm all for competition, but if it's junk v junk, the outcome is still going to be junk. Case in point, the competition at DE last offseason between Harvey and Anderson. Anderson was quickly declared the winner, but accomplished little before getting hurt. The position was only salvaged when they picked up Gilberry a few weeks into the season.

Really, the defense's track record with castoffs recently is not good. Harvey flopped, Anderson flopped, Allen flopped, Mays flopped. The only guy who worked out was Newman, and he had the benefit of coming into a familiar system and a coach who knew exactly how to use him. I see no reason to assume Harrison would be successful in Cincy. If you believe the rumor mill, it looks like we will get the chance to see if I'm right or wrong.

I'm all for competition, but if it's junk v junk, the outcome is still going to be junk. Case in point, the competition at DE last offseason between Harvey and Anderson. Anderson was quickly declared the winner, but accomplished little before getting hurt. The position was only salvaged when they picked up Gilberry a few weeks into the season.

Really, the defense's track record with castoffs recently is not good. Harvey flopped, Anderson flopped, Allen flopped, Mays flopped. The only guy who worked out was Newman, and he had the benefit of coming into a familiar system and a coach who knew exactly how to use him. I see no reason to assume Harrison would be successful in Cincy. If you believe the rumor mill, it looks like we will get the chance to see if I'm right or wrong.

Newman was good. PacMan was good. Gilberry was good. Crocker was good. Lawson (1st year) and Howard (before injury) were good. Clements was good until he started getting hurt.

Yes, just as many don't pan out, but when you're not spending major money for big(ger) names, then it doesn't really burn you all that much. The times we DID spend big money, only to have those players not pan out, were far more damaging (Odom, for instance, outside of those three beat-like games before he got hurt).

No one in the organization has EVER said they were thinking of moving Rey to the outside. NO ONE.

It's not part of the equation...

I guess the better way for me to say this was.....if they bring in a guy who can play MLB (*cough* *Dansby* *cough*), there's a better chance Rey would be moved to SLB where he played better (which isn't saying much, but still); and in turn if they bring in a SLB like Harrison, there is far less of a chance Rey gets moved.

I feel like signing Harrison is the deathknell to any chance to get Rey moved, which is terribly unfortunate, to put it mildly

I am sure they'd move Rey if they felt that was the best thing they could do with him, despite all the "we never said that!" protestations over the offseason

They were not going to move Rey anyways, Marvin himself said that, if you believe him. It was said Dansby was not going to come here to play middle anyways. This team has been tying to create something with a rushing LB, look at Lawson and what he was brought in here for, and he failed to do anything. Now they will try and do the same thing with Harrison, make him the rushing LB. Hell there were talks of Lawson playing some DE, and my guess they will have Harrison do the same.

I think Marvin has said a whole lot of nothing regarding where the linebackers will play next season. The media immediately assumed that they'd move Burfict over, and it ticks Marvin off when people run their mouths about things they're clueless about.

We'll just have to wait and see.

The longer it takes the more i wonder what will happen.

The bengals will not over pay for him, his LB spot hardly plays, with the bengals playing mostly nickle they like using DBs instead of LBs. How many times did we see Lawson get taken out of games, or hell i think there was a game where he did not even play. So i dont see them playing Harrison much, but it would be fun to watch him rush the passer for this team though.

If he aint playing much, he shouldn't be paid much

Both will likely be the case no matter who ends up at SLB. One of the crew at CJ -- Lucas, I think -- broke down the team's defensive snaps from last season. They played a majority, about 52%, in the nickle. That's why Pacman had a boatload more snaps than Lawson. Joe Goodberry took a look at Harrison's production over the last two years, and at how the Bengals used the SLB over the last five seasons (number of snaps, number of times the SLB rushed the passer, etc.) and projected Harrison's stats for 2013 at 28 tackles, 17 pressures and 1 sack on twitter yesterday.