Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

That's probably what's taking to long Harrison wants more. It's probably also the reason they don't sign Dansby, I'm sure he wants more then Harrison. The SLB on this team is playing the run so much, because they play Nickle most of the time, that's why that extra DB is very important. If they sign Harrison then they need to find a way to get him on the field.

Then get Dansby instead and pay him a little bit more because he can play all 3 spots

I am not interested in paying 6 million dollars that could could otherwise be going to deserving folks like Dunlap, Atkins, Dalton, or Green for 28 tackles that any below average nfl linebacker making vet min could give me

Ridiculous to pay Harrision anything over min. Most of his "pay" is two shots at his old employer. Take that in lieu of pay.

There's just no market right now. "Vet minimum and a six-pack of Bud" is pretty much what's on offer out there. Look at Pollack's deal: 1 year, less than $800k, for a relatively young guy (28) with 41 career starts. So from Harrison's point of view there isn't much to be lost by waiting. Chances are that some team won't be able to get who they want in the draft and will come calling, even if the Bengals offer evaporates. And even if not he can probably make a few bucks with a cushy media gig as a consolation prize.

I dont think the word in the media would be that we are "close to a deal" (and we've been "close" for about 5 days now, btw) if he wants multiple millions and all we have is vet min and a case of bud (ok, ok, make it Christian Moerlein) on the table

If they want to throw in a small "per occurrence" bonus for any of the following minus a loss for any stupid pre-snap (ala offsides) or excessive roughness penalties, that'd be fine: tackle for loss or no gain (this includes sacks), tackle for 2 or less yards (half bonus of tackle for loss or no gain), int, pass defensed, forced fumble, fumble recovery, defensive td, special teams td

I have a sneaking suspicion that the "close to a deal" reports came from the Harrison camp and were sent out in hopes of enticing a "white knight" to come in and save him from Cincy, the same way the Raiders swooped in and snagged Sapp a few years ago. In the first version of the t-shirt slogan story (since updated) Hobson wrote something along the lines of "it didn't appear that the heavy lifting had begun yet" in talks between Harrison and the team. That was later scrubbed in favor of chatter from Whit on how super-duper great it would be to have him.

ETA Ah, I found the quote, it's in Hobs' piece from the day before. http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Scott-back-in-fold-says-knee-responding-Bengals-close-in-on-TE-Smith/de08f879-9644-4e3b-ab76-cf6b4f8489c5

The prediction from Goodberry might not be right, but the bengals really never used Lawson, because of playing Nickle so much. I guess that could change if they get a SLB that they really like.

Bengals and TE Alex Smith reached on a 1 year deal. I'm actually ok with this move, think he is a solid number 2, with Charles maybe playing HB.

Then get Dansby instead and pay him a little bit more because he can play all 3 spots

I am not interested in paying 6 million dollars that could could otherwise be going to deserving folks like Dunlap, Atkins, Dalton, or Green for 28 tackles that any below average nfl linebacker making vet min could give me

Ridiculous to pay Harrision anything over min. Most of his "pay" is two shots at his old employer. Take that in lieu of pay.

I'm not interested in paying Harrison that kind of coin. He is old and an injury risk. I don't think he is much of a leader, and his indifference to league rule adaptions is idiotic. Does this team need that? I don't see him as a boost.

I think Dansby addresses the team needs more, is younger and more productive.

I think Dansby addresses the team needs more, is younger and more productive.

According to NFL.com Harrisons talks have stalled .... I'd be happy if they looked to Dansby as he has a bit more longevity to offer for sure.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160306/article/james-harrisons-talks-with-bengals-not-going-well

Well, the thing about Dansby other than being a productive tackler is that he can play all three spots, whereas I believe Harrison is solely a SLB.

All else being the same, give me the versatile guy every time

I am really, really glad to hear the Bengals are holding onto their money, knowing that Harrison will be paid in opportunity for revenge on Pittsburgh; and hopefully this will shift the negotiations to Dansby

Hensley mentions the stalled talks as well: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9179252/cincinnati-bengals-talks-james-harrison-unproductive-far-source

I would also prefer Dansby, but he's going to cost more and I just don't see them doing that.

Bottomline is that none of these guys have a reason to take a low end deal at this point in time.

Wait it out, see how the draft shakes out and go from there.

They could find some teams no longer want their services, but others might due to missing out in the draft.

I would also prefer Dansby, but he's going to cost more and I just don't see them doing that.

Bottomline is that none of these guys have a reason to take a low end deal at this point in time.

They could find some teams no longer want their services, but others might due to missing out in the draft.

there are a few reasons, actually, to sign early

getting fully acclimated with your team's defensive scheme, calls, etc

getting it out of the way so you no longer have any worries about it

choosing the team you want to play for rather than settling for whatever circumstance falls your way

honestly tho, if the choice is Harrison at x and Dansby at x + less than 1M, you have to go Dansby, right?

Sorry, but those predictions from Goodberry are pure trash.

They do Zimmer a pretty big disservice.

The numbers are what they are. If a few of those pressures turned into sacks, I wouldn't be surprised, but any way you cut it, Harrison isn't going to be a game-changer. If he were, he would have already been signed, probably by some other team for a lot more than the Bengals are offering.

As for Zimmer, he's constrained by the pass-happy nature of the NFL. The O rolls out three wide, he's going to put 5 DBs on the field. There's a reason the nickel is now effectively their base D. No matter who is at SLB, their snaps are going to be limited and that trend is only moving in one direction.

In any event it appears somewhat academic as reports now are (surprise) there's no immediate prospect of a deal. Which is fine by me.

there are a few reasons, actually, to sign early

getting fully acclimated with your team's defensive scheme, calls, etc

getting it out of the way so you no longer have any worries about it

choosing the team you want to play for rather than settling for whatever circumstance falls your way

honestly tho, if the choice is Harrison at x and Dandsby at x + less than 1M, you have to go Dansby, right?

I would wager a LARGE chunk of cash that says the ruling factor for either of them is, who pays the most ??

With that being the line of thought, it may be better to wait.

Teams that lose out in the draft may be willing to pay more than the Bengals are right now.

By all accounts, Dansby will cost more than Harrison would, unless I misunderstood you.

If I did, then my bad...

Sorry, but those predictions from Goodberry are pure trash.

They do Zimmer a pretty big disservice.

The numbers are what they are.

My point was (among other things) that the #s were based purely on the assumption that Zimmer would use Harrison just as he used the SLB before him. But, if they bring different skill sets, then I give Zimmer the benefit of the doubt that he will use that talent accordingly.

But, like you said, it doesn't appear as if this deal is going to happen anyway. You get the feeling that it was all a stunt to get other teams calling Harrison and/or to get Dansby more interested in talking with Cincy.

Or, maybe, Harrison is just too prideful to take the money that he's probably worth at this point.

I would have been mildly intrigued by the signing, but I certainly won't shed any tears if/when it doesn't happen.