Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

Wharton was the response to losing Livings/Fat Bobbie. For that, he was an upgrade. If he is healthy, he will compete for LG as Zeitler is now solid at RG.

Honestly, I think the O-line will be improved if they can bring Fat Andre back. If they have to break in a rook at RT, I hope Andy has been working on his scrambling skills.....

Yeah, I really don't understand the hatred for Wharton. Where on earth is that coming from?

If you go check some dumbass web site, you'll find that Wharton sucked major a** in 2011 with the Panthers. It's been argued that that was an aberration due to then-rookie QB Cam Newton's style and that in prior years with a more traditional quarterback Wharton's numbers were much stronger. I think that argument has some merit but we won't really know until he gets on the field.

Yeah, I really don't understand the hatred for Wharton. Where on earth is that coming from?

If you go check some dumbass web site, you'll find that Wharton sucked major a** in 2011 with the Panthers. It's been argued that that was an aberration due to then-rookie QB Cam Newton's style and that in prior years with a more traditional quarterback Wharton's numbers were much stronger. I think that argument has some merit but we won't really know until he gets on the field.

Judging by the lack of interest in Smith, league-wide, I'd say most coaches/GMs around the league tend to agree with Marvin's assessment of the site tongue.gif

If Wharton is a valuable backup, I guess that's fine. If he in fact beats out Boling, who most seem to be down on to start with, we are going to be hurting. Dumbass website or not, most Panthers fans will tell you much of the same. They think he is a hell of a nice guy with really good character, which I won't complain about, but don't think much of his playing abilities.

Reedy says we had RB Felix Jones, recently of the Cowboys, in for visit.

the dotcom wrote about it too, but -- I am still chuckling -- citing dallascowboys.com as his source

His own team doesn't let Hobson in on what they do :-)

If and that is a big if, healthy Jones fits the need of a speed back with decent hands.

Felix "made of glass" Jones huh ??

Didn't we learn the lesson with Chris Perry ??

Don't we already know how that story is going to end ??

If they ignore the RB spot in the draft, I will be f*cking pissed beyond belief !!!

If Jones doesn't impede the drafting of a RB high, then I guess it's whatever.

He can be serviceable if (see never) he stays healthy.

If we had made a trade for McClain, I would have been pissed.

Not because he wouldn't be worth bringing into camp, but because he was going to get cut to start with.

When it was all said and done, no one claimed him off waivers even.

Must be something people dislike about people that carry guns and commit crimes.

Go figure...

It now appears McLain will join the Ravens. They're welcome to him as far as I'm concerned. I expect to get a good chuckle out of the inevitable Ozzie is a genius stuff after the deal is done.

Oh yeah, you know that's coming.

The Bengals looking into McClain resulted in "The Bengals are up to their old ways", "Just another criminal for the Bengals", and "McClain is a turd, so he should fit right in."

What are you going to hear if he signs in Baltimore ??

"Ozzie is the greatest GM ever", "McClain is going to be a probowl player in their system", and "What a great signing!"

Bottomline is McClain is a douche of epic proportions and the Bengals were smart enough to know better with this one.

What does it tell the Ravens that even a team known for giving second chances, doesn't want anything to do with him ??

And please don't tell me it had anything to do with signing Rey back for the coming season.

F*cking hypocrites...

It now appears McLain will join the Ravens. They're welcome to him as far as I'm concerned. I expect to get a good chuckle out of the inevitable Ozzie is a genius stuff after the deal is done.

Oh yeah, you know that's coming.

The Bengals looking into McClain resulted in "The Bengals are up to their old ways", "Just another criminal for the Bengals", and "McClain is a turd, so he should fit right in."

What are you going to hear if he signs in Baltimore ??

"Ozzie is the greatest GM ever", "McClain is going to be a probowl player in their system", and "What a great signing!"

Bottomline is McClain is a douche of epic proportions and the Bengals were smart enough to know better with this one.

What does it tell the Ravens that even a team known for giving second chances, doesn't want anything to do with him ??

And please don't tell me it had anything to do with signing Rey back for the coming season.

F*cking hypocrites...

+100

I think I hate the hypocrisy you mentioned more than I hate Joe Reedy's analysis.

:sure:/> to Army as well.

In other news, there has been a Bernard Scott sighting in Oakland, where he is visiting so the Raiders can check out his recovery. If he passes the exam they are expected to make him an offer. However he has a "visit" set up with the Bengals next week too. So he could be back.

Also, per PFT, Dansby is in town visiting the Bengals...

:sure:/>/> to Army as well.

In other news, there has been a Bernard Scott sighting in Oakland, where he is visiting so the Raiders can check out his recovery. If he passes the exam they are expected to make him an offer. However he has a "visit" set up with the Bengals next week too. So he could be back.

Exactly. The media shapes reality with politics, just as in sports. Dansby signs with Ravens, it's "Ozzie the Genius". He signs with Bengals and it's "there must be something wrong with him as he's lasted this long in FA."

The Ravens deserve absolute credit for winning the Superbowl, as they should. Ozzie Newsome is a fantastic GM.

However, I'm waiting to see how well they do with no Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Boldin, Burke, Ellerbee, or Kruger. There have been a few Baltimore dud seasons where they were as competitive as Cleveland. With the heart and soul of that team gone, in Ray Lewis, I don't see the Ravens being as good of a team.

Dansby being brought in actually doesn't bother me all that much.

He's a solid vet and our LB corps resembles cold dogsh*t.

In my dream scenario, Brandon Joiner has an awesome training camp and becomes the starting OLB next to Burfict and opposite of a stud drafted at the other OLB spot.

In my dream scenario, Brandon Joiner has an awesome training camp and becomes the starting OLB next to Burfict and opposite of a stud drafted at the other OLB spot.

Sure and maybe Maybin realizes his potential and turns into a probowl player. How about Moch as well ??

I certainly wouldn't complain about any of those scenarios, but my line of thought is, the LB corps could use any and all newcomers, to include a highly drafted player, to infuse competition with this unit.

Howard doesn't look like he's coming back and Lawson is gone.

Joiner, Maybin, and whomever else.......

Sure and maybe Maybin realizes his potential and turns into a probowl player. How about Moch as well ??

I certainly wouldn't complain about any of those scenarios, but my line of thought is, the LB corps could use any and all newcomers, to include a highly drafted player, to infuse competition with this unit.

Howard doesn't look like he's coming back and Lawson is gone.

Joiner, Maybin, and whomever else.......

True. I forgot about Maybin. I see him as situational with Moch, if he can ever get on the field. If Maybin can turn into a starter, then that would be awesome as well.

Happy to hear Dansby is getting a look. Guy is a very productive MLB. Certainly a better player than Rey or Dhani was...

Regarding Maybin, I think he could surprise folks. Zimmer has that way of mentally challenging and motivating the guys from the scrap heap. Don't be surprised if he jumps out as a very strong contributor this year.

thumbsup3.gif/>/> to Army as well.

Exactly. The media shapes reality with politics, just as in sports. Dansby signs with Ravens, it's "Ozzie the Genius". He signs with Bengals and it's "there must be something wrong with him as he's lasted this long in FA."

The Ravens deserve absolute credit for winning the Superbowl, as they should. Ozzie Newsome is a fantastic GM.

However, I'm waiting to see how well they do with no Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Boldin, Burke, Ellerbee, or Kruger. There have been a few Baltimore dud seasons where they were as competitive as Cleveland. With the heart and soul of that team gone, in Ray Lewis, I don't see the Ravens being as good of a team.

I agree with your Interesting perspective on the perception of the two franchises. Give Ozzie credit but in all honesty they didn't make the big step forward until they got Torrey Smith. I think he allowed them some breathing room in that they don't have to win every game 6-3.

I am disappointed that Dumervil went to Baltimore and they got Courtney Upshaw in last years draft. But without Reed and Ray and the others, I think their defense will struggle next year. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I think the Ravens are really going to struggle.

I don't like that they got Dumerville either and I think Upshaw is a heck of a player, but they are going to miss the ones they lost.

How everyone gels is still left to anyones guess and NO, it's not a forgone conclusion that it will turn out with them making a return trip to the Superbowl. While I think Ozzie is indeed a great GM, there is only so much to can maintain with losses of that magnitude.

I'm sure some Ravens fans will spin a story about how they really didn't lose anyone of great importance though...

Regarding Maybin, I think he could surprise folks. Zimmer has that way of mentally challenging and motivating the guys from the scrap heap. Don't be surprised if he jumps out as a very strong contributor this year.

It actually wouldn't surprise me to see him at either extreme. Totally suck to pro bowl type player.

I am serious. Agree with what Zimmer gets out of his guys and they are moving him to a position he hasn't played from my understanding of the writeup of his signing. It's a fresh start, with a new team, and a new opportunity. If there was a player to pick for suprise impact player of 2013, Maybin could be that player.