Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

OK, I've kept my mouth shut during this FA but now I'm pissed!! First the team brings back Rey. I liked Rey but he wasn't very product and in my opinion, not a good asset for the team. Now, we resign Brandon Tate. I absolutely hate this move. This guy can't catch, fumbles on kick offs and punt returns, makes bad judgements, etc. Adam Jones can return punts and kick offs for us. I would have rather waited til the draft to select a WR. Good lord, what type of team are we going to have this upcoming season. Yea, we've been to the playoffs the past two seasons, but can't get a win when we're there.

OK, I've kept my mouth shut during this FA but now I'm pissed!! First the team brings back Rey. I liked Rey but he wasn't very product and in my opinion, not a good asset for the team. Now, we resign Brandon Tate. I absolutely hate this move. This guy can't catch, fumbles on kick offs and punt returns, makes bad judgements, etc. Adam Jones can return punts and kick offs for us. I would have rather waited til the draft to select a WR. Good lord, what type of team are we going to have this upcoming season. Yea, we've been to the playoffs the past two seasons, but can't get a win when we're there.

It's a 1 year deal, they could still draft a guy and then cut Tate. I hate the move as well, but ill wait and see what happens.

Yeah, when I heard it was a one year deal, the draft and cut strategy became my new wish for Taint.

He's about as useful as the little patch of flesh between my ass and balls.

I haven't looked but i'm sure there's a nice spin about how he's a solid guy, who has produced for the team right ??

What a load of sh*t this signing is. LOAD OF SH*T !!!

Then again, what the hell do we know ??

All we do is look at dumbass websites.

Reedy mentions Quinn in the Tate piece, so yeah

I have long wondered what they see in Quinn. To me, he is a practice squad type player who somehow mysteriously manages to stay on the active roster - as if they were worried he would not make it through waivers or would be quickly plucked off the taxi squad if they stuck him there.

How he got drafted in the 2nd round, I have no idea. Even more surprising is that the Broncos traded two third round picks to jump into the end of round 2 (pick 64) to get him.
/>http://www.cleveland.com/nfl/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1240821147296700.xml&coll=2

His draft profile is pretty lackluster - he's a blocking only TE, and putting a player like that on the field tips the offense's hand - ie "we don't need to cover this guy and can send another rusher"
/>http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/richard-quinn?id=71443
/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/563214

One interesting Quinn factoid - one of the two picks Pittsburgh picked up from the Broncos trade mentioned above was used to select.......WR Mike Wallace
/>http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2011/08/26/whether-fair-or-not-richard-quinns-legacy-defined-by-draft-status/

Yeah, I don't know what they are thinking about Quinn either. Of course it's hard to form much of an opinion about a guy who never sees the field. In a way these signings -- Quinn, Roland, Tate -- are the most frustrating. They really can't find any upgrades to these jokers? There's retaining the core, and there's not even trying, and while the Bengals claim to be doing the former, it looks a hell of a lot like the latter.

Reedy mentions Quinn in the Tate piece, so yeah

I have long wondered what they see in Quinn. To me, he is a practice squad type player who somehow mysteriously manages to stay on the active roster - as if they were worried he would not make it through waivers or would be quickly plucked off the taxi squad if they stuck him there.

How he got drafted in the 2nd round, I have no idea. Even more surprising is that the Broncos traded two third round picks to jump into the end of round 2 (pick 64) to get him.
/>http://www.cleveland.com/nfl/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1240821147296700.xml&coll=2

His draft profile is pretty lackluster - he's a blocking only TE, and putting a player like that on the field tips the offense's hand - ie "we don't need to cover this guy and can send another rusher"
/>http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/richard-quinn?id=71443
/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/563214

One interesting Quinn factoid - one of the two picks Pittsburgh picked up from the Broncos trade mentioned above was used to select.......WR Mike Wallace
/>http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2011/08/26/whether-fair-or-not-richard-quinns-legacy-defined-by-draft-status/

Yeah, I don't know what they are thinking about Quinn either. Of course it's hard to form much of an opinion about a guy who never sees the field. In a way these signings -- Quinn, Roland, Tate -- are the most frustrating. They really can't find any upgrades to these jokers? There's retaining the core, and there's not even trying, and while the Bengals claim to be doing the former, it looks a hell of a lot like the latter.

Josh Mcdaniels was coach when Denver drafted him. I can`t remember the Qb at the time, maybe it was Cutler? Apparently, Quinn is an naturally big and powerful man. Think Scott Roland. Seems like the idea is to have him in as an extra tackle but then design plays to sneak him out as a dump off or as a screen guy for the Qb to hit. Makes sense. The only thing is, if that is the case, why doesn`t he get on the field? We suck running the ball to the left, why not line him up on game days and design plays similar to what is done with Welker.

Quinn`s history is actually mind-numbing. The guy only had 12 catches his ENTIRE collegiate career!

The only thing is, if that is the case, why doesn`t he get on the field? We suck running the ball to the left, why not line him up on game days and design plays similar to what is done with Welker.

I would suppose its a numbers game. Who do they shut down on gameday so he can play? Now, if we had a legit No. 2 wideout we could probably go with just 4 active WRs, and that might help. Or you could put him in Roland's TE (tackle eligible) role, which seems a good fit, tho you lose a backup tackle (not that that would be that big a loss...)

Looks like Newman will be heading back. He mentioned on twitter that he choose Cincy over the Raiders, and it wasnt about the money, because the Raiders offered him more. He wanted to come back and play for Zim again.

Now i wonder if he signed or if he is still looking for his agent :blink:

Another good signing i'm sure most will find reason to complain about.

For what it's worth, I thought he would want to stay with Zimmer and i'm happy about it.

If nothing else, we can wait to add a CB until next year unless someone amazing falls to them and they can't pass.

Another good signing i'm sure most will find reason to complain about.

For what it's worth, I thought he would want to stay with Zimmer and i'm happy about it.

If nothing else, we can wait to add a CB until next year unless someone amazing falls to them and they can't pass.

Count me out on the complaining.

I wanted him back and for two years and for reasonable money, and got all three wishes

I like this signing. It allows them to keep the same starters as last season at the very worst. It also allows for a very good top 4 group of CBs. This may move Newman or Jones to the fourth spot if Kirkpatrick can stay healthy this year. It also means there is no need to draft a CB in the upcoming draft and it may mean that Allen is now going to be fighting for a job as a swing CB/S.

There really is nothing to complain about with this signing, now on the big Andre.

I missed this last part somehow. Sounds encouraging.

Now the guess is Cincinnati's next (and last) major deal it wants to get before the April 25-27 draft is with right tackle Andre Smith. He shares Newman's agent, Ben Dogra, and it's believed the sides have also had exchanges on a Smith contract while working out the Newman deal.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/With-Newman-in-fold-safety-next-on-secondary-agenda/fc7f9f32-5983-41c4-8132-3c86c57a2143