Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

It’s another solid move. People can call it whatever they like, but it was a move to bring some stability to the position for the next few years. Couple that with his return skills, that lets the Bengals use him more for in 2013 with Tate gone, and you can’t look at it as anything but a positive. I for one am happy for Adam and glad to see things working out for him.

With Ted Ginn signing with the Panthers, I bet they sign Tate back to return again.

:|

I hope your wrong but I have a feeling you're right.

So Andre Smith was "rated" as the "best RT in the NFL" last season...is a UFA, and has yet to talk with ANYONE in the league??? WTF? (and yet another reason not to trust the dubious 0-line rankings/ratings out there).

Something isn't adding up there. Leave it to our crack local sports media guys/gals to bring that up (most seem to be more interested in talking about where you ate lunch to watch the NCAA tournament, or going on incessantly about Aroldis Chapman and other tired topics).

Glad they are sticking with Pac, but yet another "easy" signing I expected to happen.

I'm basically with you on this one, Steakboy - he was better than in previous years, yes, but best in the league? No

I think the other teams are shying away because of either

1) his injury history - even admitting the injury problems were not recent

or

2) the fact that he played well when his contract was about to expire - leading to questions about whether he'd continue to perform at his current level unless he was on a 1 year contract.

I'd like to think he has matured recognized that top level performance is expected from a professional at all times.

But like those other teams out there, I just dont know

There's one other possibility - that his agent has told him to sit until someone offers him the "right" coin, ie 9 mil plus, and is thinking this offer will come when some team with playoff aspirations loses their starting ORT to injury either in camp or early in the season. In this case, there's no love of the game, just love of a few extra coins, and our best move would be to pay him his 9 mil for one year, and draft his replacement next month. The draftee would be groomed all year to take his place, and the FZ would be summarily discarded after that....in fact, he could be discarded late in the season if the draftee is ready to start before the season ends.

If this ends up being the case, don't be surprised if our pick is DJ Fluker

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/03/21/josh-johnson-agrees-to-terms/

Johnson is the first (and for now only) outside FA signed for 2013

Glad we got a backup qb with some years in the league and some athletic ability

For what its worth, this link mentions he had a fabulous preseason game 4 in 2012 for San Fran
/>http://sports.yahoo.com/news/did-josh-johnsons-style-play-hurt-stock-san-192700471--nfl.html

2 years, no terms disclosed thus far - it just has to be on the cheap though, right?

draft profile from 2008: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=61532&draftyear=2008&genpos=QB

He spent some time with the Stains last year, so we might gain a little bit of benefit from what he knows of that team and personnel, and his overall familiarity with the AFC North

I think people just don’t like Andre Smith and I’m glad they can’t get his first two years or that 40 yard dash out of their heads. Listen, whether you call him the best RT in the league or not is really beside the point. I believe he is and not because of what some dumbass web site might say about it. He was once thought to be the best player in that draft and many slotted him to go #1 overall until they saw his build. Why ?? Because of all the reasons we have seen from him in the last 2 seasons.

So what if he’s the 3rd best RT in the league ?? He’s still worth the average salary, give or take, that he is looking to get. Can that even be argued reasonably to say the guy isn’t worth somewhere between 7.5 and 9 million per season ?? What is the reason someone would say it’s just not something the Bengals can do when his average cap hit for each of the past two seasons has averaged over 8 million ??

What would people like him to do ?? Say he will take 5 million per year ?? It’s a business and players do it all the time. If any of us were in the same position, we would be doing the same thing. Smith and his agent don’t have any motivation to sign a contract with the Bengals unless it is EXACTLY what he’s asking for.

Do I like any of that personally ?? No and I want him signed T’NOW, but it is what it is.

IMO Smith is still out there because:

1. He wants $9 million/year and outside of a handful of deals (like Wallace) no one is getting paid that kind of money this year, regardless of position.

2. There is a glut of tackles on the FA market.

3. It's a pretty good draft class for tackle.

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/03/21/josh-johnson-agrees-to-terms/

Johnson is the first (and for now only) outside FA signed for 2013

Glad we got a backup qb with some years in the league and some athletic ability

For what its worth, this link mentions he had a fabulous preseason game 4 in 2012 for San Fran
/>http://sports.yahoo.com/news/did-josh-johnsons-style-play-hurt-stock-san-192700471--nfl.html

2 years, no terms disclosed thus far - it just has to be on the cheap though, right?

draft profile from 2008: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=61532&draftyear=2008&genpos=QB

He spent some time with the Stains last year, so we might gain a little bit of benefit from what he knows of that team and personnel, and his overall familiarity with the AFC North

I'm not feeling the hype with our new backup QB. I'm heading to the .com so I can read about how he's better than Kaepernick. The lack of enthusiasm here is killing me!

Josh Johnson? Championship.

How about a Star Wars reference and we go with J-3PO ??

Anyway, while I usually don’t give the backup QB much thought, I like the athleticism Johnson brings and I like that he has some familiarity with Gruden as well. Gradkowski ?? I won’t bash him, but I also won’t claim he was irreplaceable.

I dunno.

JJJ was a street free agent in late 2012 before the Browns - already weak at QB - gave him temporary employment

Plenty of potential, yes, but most of it yet unrealized

This may be his last chance in the NFL, so I am hopeful he'll run with it

Prepare to be impressed. wathced him for 49rs in preseason, guy has real talent and a very big arm. like a carbon copy of Kaepernick in many ways

If Dalton struggles, and Bengals flounder, there will be calls for him to get snaps by mid-season.

If Dalton keeps growing, then we have a really underrated and capable back-up for a couple years.

classic win/win.

happy me.

I know winning in March means little, but let's at least fill the holes

get

1) One of the two remaining decent and not SS-eligible safeties (Huff or Rhodes)

2) Flesh Zeppelin, or failing that, get a cheap veteran to at least fill the hole while we groom a new draft pick

3) Terrance Newman, or (see item 2)

4) T Howard, or (see item 2)

That's really all I am hoping for at this point.

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark-judge/21932156/bengals-brady-biggest-winners-of-losses-in-baltimore-pittsburgh

I guess the trophy should be arriving any day now...

why writers love to made bengals look bad.

Not Baltimore and Pittsburgh, which is why Cincinnati suddenly is in a good place. Over the last three seasons, the Bengals are 3-9 vs. the Ravens and Steelers. Over the last seven, they have just one division title. But they'll be the favorite now, not so much because of what they've done in the offseason as what they haven't.

why say 3 years 3-9, when 4th year is when bengals was 6-0 against div, should say 4 years 7-9

and also why pick 7 years and 1 div champ, why not say 4 years 1 div champ or 8 years and 2 div champ

In other "news that makes you want to hurl" (or hurl things)

Tate is back on a one year deal
/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/03/23/tate-back-on-a-one-year-deal/

With him and Maualuga now both re-signed, I am now eagerly awaiting the re-signing of Ifeanyi Ohalete and Rod "Toast" Jones

I mean, go big or go home, right?