Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know... I'm warming up to the Cam Newton bandwagon.

Cam Newton? One good year of NCAA football, playing a running style that he won't be able to play in the NFL? I'll have to pass.

Agreed. Mike Mayock agrees with you too.

Per PFT:

“To me, there are two issues with this kid,” said Mayock. “Issue number one is he came out of a shotgun (offense), and if you watch the tape it’s basically a very simple offense. … And secondly, most importantly, when you get to a certain skill level in the NFL, which this kid certainly has, at the quarterback position, what kind of kid is he? Is he going to be the first guy in the building? Is he a gym rat? Is he football smart?”

The love growing for Cam Newton sure sounds a lot like February 1999 and Akili Smith. The only difference is Newton won a championship

There is far more difference than that.

I, for one, dont see much difference. He is bigger in size, but he has only one year of experience at the NCAA level and is unproven as a passer.

Buyer beware!

I have mixed feeling for the thought of Newton and always have.

His athletic ability is amazing and the thought of a guy the size of Big Ben with speed is pretty appealing.

That being said, he has no time under center and the things the people coaching him are saying don't sit well with me.

His mechanics, timing, and overthrowing due to how he sets himself after dropping back aren't ringing endorsements of a 1st round QB you would expect to start for you this season. However, if they are going to take a chance on someone (if Carson gets traded), I could think of worse ways to go.

The love growing for Cam Newton sure sounds a lot like February 1999 and Akili Smith. The only difference is Newton won a championship

I, for one, dont see much difference. He is bigger in size, but he has only one year of experience at the NCAA level and is unproven as a passer.

Buyer beware!

Back in the day (1999) there was a piece done on the benefit of playing time in college versus success in the pros. The guys that had immediate success where Mc Nabb and Culpepper who where three and four year starters in college. Akili Smith was a one year starter at Oregon.

Brock Huard, Tim Couch and Shawn King all started a couple of years for their teams and had minimal success in the NFL and were gone after a few seasons.

I am worried about having to make a guy over after college. I'll take my chances on missing out on the next big thing and pass on him. My concern is that we don't have the coaches in place to help him much. I'd rather have someone a little more polished and not so coach-dependent.

Buyer beware!

Well, while there are many differences, there are similarities.

Akili started one year in a weak PAC-10. While he put up big numbers (3,763 yards and also threw for 32 touchdowns) he was not the athlete that newton is. Nor does did he have the arm that Newton has.

Akili did not exhibit the work ethic necessary to excel in the NFL. No way to accurately predict Cam's work ethic but from his work through his college career, and in winning the Natl Title, it does appear Cam is WAY ahead of Akili at this point in his career.

The similarities are striking. The Newton family troubles with the NCAA are hard to look past. Not much college tape to look at. I'm sure the warts will continue to emerge.

From the luxury of hindsight, it is clear the Bengals screwed up Akili (much like they did Klingler) as much as Akili did not live up to his end of the bargain.

The only thing that can be hoped for is that the coaching staff will do all the necessary things to get the most out of Newton if they do select him.

I am getting warmed up to the idea of grabbing a guy like Alex Smith, another cast off who never got properly handled. If Newton is simply too big a risk, grabbing Smith off the FA market gives you much of what Palmer had with none of the injury baggage or disillusionment with the organization. Smith needs a fresh start, perhaps in Gruden's WC offense he can settle in and reach some potential.

If they do take Netwon, I feel the WC system would really give him a low threshold of learning and would give him a chance to step in and perform at a high level. Lots of shotgun and pistol looks. Lots of good talent around him, and the ability to take off running mean he could do far more than Akili ever had a chance to do.

I'd say that it is pretty clear that if we want a successful QB - and I take that as assumed - the person we pick will require considerable mental toughness and maturity to deal with being drafted to the Siberia of the NFL

Carson was pretty strong, he took it for 9 years more or less without complaint. I doubt most folks could do that.

If Cam Newton has mental toughness and maturity -- I am interested.

If he does not have mental toughness and maturity -- no amount of athleticism, arm strength, accuracy, or other tantalizing qualities will make me interested in him. Give me a lesser athlete who can handle being here and will do his best regardless of the many obstacles to success Son-of-a-Genius will place in his way

That said, both are difficult things to measure. Peyton Manning vs Ryan leaf - both had ability, but one had mental toughness and maturity, the other did not. Both went very very high in the draft.

One summary: http://tnjn.com/2008/apr/26/nfl-draft-a-decade-removed-fro/

I'd say that it is pretty clear that if we want a successful QB - and I take that as assumed - the person we pick will require considerable mental toughness and maturity to deal with being drafted to the Siberia of the NFL

Carson was pretty strong, he took it for 9 years more or less without complaint. I doubt most folks could do that.

If he does not have mental toughness and maturity -- no amount of athleticism, arm strength, accuracy, or other tantalizing qualities will make me interested in him. Give me a lesser athlete who can handle being here and will do his best regardless of the many obstacles to success Son-of-a-Genius will place in his way

That said, both are difficult things to measure. Peyton Manning vs Ryan leaf - both had ability, but one had mental toughness and maturity, the other did not. Both went very very high in the draft.

I will say this as horrible as this org. is maybe under a new OC things will be different. We were so used to the same guy calling the plays on offense for 10 years, maybe now things will be different. So i think under the right system, and if the coaches use Cam right he may be pretty good. Not sure if i want him yet or not, but im just hoping under a new set of coaches they will finally get back on some kind of track

I will say this as horrible as this org. is maybe under a new OC things will be different.

I wish that were true or at least there was a chance of it being true, but for me, it all flows down from the one piece that hasn't changed for 20 years now in all this - Son-of-a-Genius.

He created and maintains a culture of failure

I will say this as horrible as this org. is maybe under a new OC things will be different.

I wish that were true or at least there was a chance of it being true, but for me, it all flows down from the one piece that hasn't changed for 20 years now in all this - Son-of-a-Genius.

He created and maintains a culture of failure

True, guess im just trying to hope for the best.

Great points.

I don't like Newton as a Bengal. They don't know how to develop an offense around his strengths. I do think he could be successful in the right system if his coaches are creative. Simply put, Mike Brown does not want his franchise QBs scrambling around

In the past this was true? But now under Gruden? we don't know I pesonolly think Gruden Would try utuilize who ever our quarterback is may it be Palmer Newton lefvour or Keapernick!!!!!!! ^_^

Since we are talking about the draft. Safety is an area of concern for me and think they really need to do something at that position going forward.

The tandem of Roy Williams and Chris Crocker isn't effective. While people say Williams is a good fit in Zimmer's scheme, I wouldn't mind seeing his spot upgraded. I have always liked Crocker as well, but he could go as well. I haven't looked at the FA safeties yet, but bringing one in as well as drafting one wouldn't hurt.

Don't even bother bringing up Ndukwe, unless we are talking about him as depth. I'm simply not a fan of him as a starter.

He's a FA this season as well.

Well, this didn't get much talk when it was originally posted, but think it bears repeating when considering what is going to happen with our own players to figure out who we may draft and at what position.

FREE AGENT LOOK

A count of 13 starters, sometime starters and regulars are set to become free agents. That is, when the collective bargaining agreement gets settled.

CB Johnathan Joseph, turns 27 on April 16; 57 starts since 2006: Has formed one of the top cornerback tandems the past two years with Leon Hall. No question about his athleticism, but only two of his five seasons have been injury free. He's looking at somewhere between $8 to $10 million. Will they pay that to a guy who has missed 13 games with Hall, who has never missed a game, up next year?

RB Cedric Benson, turned 28 on Dec. 28; 38 starts since 2008: Has gained more yards in his first 40 Bengals games than Corey Dillon and Rudi Johnson. His durability, toughness and passion are unquestioned. He's missed just two games because of injury and the Bengals are 11-1 when he carries at least 24 times. Concerns are his seven fumbles this season and that he has just two runs this year of at least 22 yards.

RG Bobbie Williams, turns 35 on Sept. 25; 108 starts since 2004: Big-time leader, current offensive co-captain and durable performer who has missed just three games as a Bengal and that because of an appendectomy. Concern is age. With Anthony Collins playing well at right tackle, is it time to try Andre Smith at right guard?

TE Reggie Kelly, turns 34 on Feb. 22; 99 starts since 2003: Another great-leader type and locker-room rock. The concerns are his age and the lingering impact of his torn Achilles. The torch appears to have been passed to Jermaine Gresham.

MLB Dhani Jones, turns 33 on Feb. 22; 56 starts since 2007: About to win his third straight team tackling title. Coaches have relied heavily on his experience and smarts to be a coach on the field that makes calls and gets guys in the right spots. There are the age concerns and his trouble in pass coverage this season. Rey Maualuga has been groomed, but is he ready?

WR Terrell Owens, turned 37 on Dec. 7; 11 starts in 2010: Could have been named the club MVP after leading the team with 72 catches and nine touchdowns. But it looks and sounds like they're going younger and less dramatic at receiver.

S Roy Williams, turns 31 on Aug. 14; 14 starts since 2009: After being hurt most of last season, he's been reliable and active this season, but they may have to look to get younger at a safety spot in which they came up with just two forced fumbles this year.

S Chinedum Ndukwe, turns 26 on March 4; 31 starts since 2007: Physical presence who took some heat this year when the Bengals gave up a spate of big plays. Regular special teams contributor. He's young, knows the scheme and seemed to have won over Mike Zimmer until the big plays.

WLB Brandon Johnson, turns 29 on April 5; 15 starts since 2008: Incumbent special teams captain who was their most productive backer in '09 and continues to add spice to the third-down package with versatile skills in coverage.

DL Jon Fanene, turns 29 on March 19; 15 starts since 2005: Only played two games this year because of a hamstring problem just as he seemed to be coming into his own. Had a career-high six sacks last season both at tackle and end. His versatility makes him a valuable guy on third down and coming off the bench.

DL Frostee Rucker, turns 28 on Sept 14; eight starts since 2006: Another versatile guy that can play both end and tackle and has come up with some big plays in limited snaps. Has been lost for the last six games with a knee injury. Has had a quick, clean rehab and is going to be ready. His production is going to judged against his injury history. He's missed games in four of his five seasons.

RB Brian Leonard, turns 27 Feb. 3; one start since 2009: Solid third-down guy who has made a slew of big plays since coming over in May, 2009 trade. Reliable and steady, he turned out to be a steal in their first player-for-player deal in 19 years.

G Evan Mathis, turns 29 March 16; seven starts since 2008: Rotated much of last season at left guard and it's been a surprise he hasn't played more this year, when he hasn't had a start. Seen as reliable and smart and during his career has played or practiced at all the line spots

Well, this didn't get much talk when it was originally posted, but think it bears repeating when considering what is going to happen with our own players to figure out who we may draft and at what position.

Keep

RB Cedric Benson-The fumbles are my biggest concern. Seemed a little off last season but in light of the Batman, Robin and Brat show maybe he was trying too hard or had given up at points.

TE Reggie Kelly-Keep him one more year to help with the new offense. Guys might get frustrated and they'll need a mature, calming influence if that happens.

WLB Brandon Johnson-The guy makes plays.

RB Brian Leonard-It will be interesting to see if he gets more involved with the new offense on 1st or 2nd downs rather than just on 3rd.

G Evan Mathis-He kinda disappeared last year. Definitely needed for line depth at least.

50-50%

CB Johnathan Joseph-Injuries are my biggest concern as is being able to resign Hall. They are both good players but I don't think either is worth $8 to $10 million. Gotta think long and hard here.

RG Bobbie Williams-Good team guy but his age and weight are an issue. And I'm not convinced Andre Smith is the answer there either.

MLB Dhani Jones-Another good team guy but got exposed early in the year on pass defense. Would he accept a backup role to Maualuga or Muckelroy and stay?

S Roy Williams-I love the guys fire and passion and big hits. The defense seems to play better when he is in there but again the injuries are a concern.

S Chinedum Ndukwe-I'm lukewarm on this guy. Seems to get out of position or fall asleep at times. Good on special teams and as a sub but not as an every down guy.

DL Jon Fanene-Injuries, injuries, injuries. Somewhat productive when he is in there but he's hardly ever in there. Keep him for depth.

DL Frostee Rucker-same for Frostee...too many injuries. Keep him for depth but don't fret if he's gone.

Gone

WR Terrell Owens-Time to take the road show somewhere else. Thanks for the early success but it just didn't work. The interesting angle is that he is familiar with the WCO. Would they want him around for that? Doubtful.

Since we are talking about the draft. Safety is an area of concern for me and think they really need to do something at that position going forward.

The tandem of Roy Williams and Chris Crocker isn't effective. While people say Williams is a good fit in Zimmer's scheme, I wouldn't mind seeing his spot upgraded. I have always liked Crocker as well, but he could go as well. I haven't looked at the FA safeties yet, but bringing one in as well as drafting one wouldn't hurt.

Don't even bother bringing up Ndukwe, unless we are talking about him as depth. I'm simply not a fan of him as a starter.

He's a FA this season as well.

Agreed about safety being a primary need,even if Reggie Nelson turns out to be a starter they should still take someone high...

Though I'd Still like to see us Resign Roy Williams even though he has Injury Problems he;s a better player then Ndukwe and if we draft someone or even move Crocker to SS Roy can back it up since he also plays special teams...so I'd be more then happy seeing us take Peterson at 4# and move him to safety

G Evan Mathis-He kinda disappeared last year. Definitely needed for line depth at least.

Well if you ask Paul Alexander he would say He has Nate Livings the best guard in the Nfl infront of him.

Here's how I see this turning out.

I see JJoe either working out a deal or getting tagged. I see Benson coming back just because of how I think the organization views him. I see Bobbie Williams coming back on a one year deal due to the lack of depth and his leadership with a new OC.

Reggie Kelly and Dhani Jones will both be gone and they have replacements for them on the roster. It's just time.

No hate and think they would make great coaches, but they need to find a way to get Brandon Johnson on the field more.

If the coaches don't like B. Johnson or Muckelroy enough, draft another LB in the mid rounds. Rey takes the middle.

Roy Williams or Ndukwe should be gone and the Bengals should draft a safety within the first 3 rounds. Crocker doesn't do much for me either, but if healthy is at least solid. I see the safety position as being a real issue for this defense and needs to be addressed.

Brandon Johnson is a no brainer to me. He's a special teams captain, is really versatile, and makes plays whenever he's on the field.

Fanene and Rucker would be battling for a spot after the Bengals draft another DE even if they are brought back on a one year deal. I think Odom comes back for his last season in his contract as well. It wouldn't surprise me to see either Odom or Geathers be shown the door, but the coaches just seem to keep holding onto these guys.

I also think they will bring back Leonard as well. He's depth and makes plays whenever he gets the chance as well.

Seems like a real character kind of guy as well.

Mathis ?? Well, he's better than livings and Bobbie would be another year older, but I can't say as I like either him or Livings much and want to see the Bengals draft OG in the top of the 2nd.

F*CK OFF T.O. !!!

So with that being the case, I could see them drafting:

WR, OG, DE, and Safety in that order through the first 4 assuming there are no other trades.

After that, I see a lot of fodder.

EDIT: THIS IS WHAT I SEE THEM DOING, BUT NOT NECESSARILY WHAT I WOULD WANT. (Mock draft coming)

I'm also interested in seeing how things turn out for Nugent or the other kicker with "tits" in his name.

The Bengals are in a good position to grab a kicker in the draft and there are some good ones.

Henery from Nebraska has made kicks from beyond 50 in 3 of his 4 seasons and is 193 of 194 on extra points.

Forbath use to be my #1 here, but has fallen to #2 on my board, so I would take Henery and not look back.

Reggie Kelly and Dhani Jones will both be gone and they have replacements for them on the roster. It's just time.

No hate and think they would make great coaches, but they need to find a way to get Brandon Johnson on the field more.

a given

If the coaches don't like B. Johnson or Muckelroy enough, draft another LB in the mid rounds. Rey takes the middle.

I don't see why coaches would not like B.johnson he is our best linebacker,He should be starting though and doubt he comes back unless we promise him a chance to start...

We should move him to SLB to replace rey...

Roy Williams or Ndukwe should be gone and the Bengals should draft a safety within the first 3 rounds. Crocker doesn't do much for me either, but if healthy is at least solid. I see the safety position as being a real issue for this defense and needs to be addressed.

Even if we draft someone high we still may need one of them..

Chris Crocker FS/SS

Reggie Nelson FS

Rookie FS/SS???

So need one more safety i'd say keep Roy as Depth just have him play backup.

Mathis ?? Well, he's better than livings and Bobbie would be another year older, but I can't say as I like either him or Livings much and want to see the Bengals draft OG in the top of the 2nd.

I think he was screwed last year he's a solid player and like you said better then Nate & bobbie IMO we are best off keeping him around then drafting a guard to be future starter.

Latest Mel Kiper mock draft (need Insider):

/>http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=KiperMockDraft2.0

Shoots Cam Newton up to 3rd overall to Buffalo. Fairley 1st, Bowers 2nd, Green to Bengals, Miller 5th and Peterson 7th.

One of the guys on ESPN was talking about Peterson this morning on the radio and how some people liken him to a Deion Sanders type of player. If he's there, I think you have to get him even with Green on the board. This defense needs game-changer and he could be that guy.