Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

To be honest, I don't like any of the QB's in this draft.

I think Newton gets eaten alive, but if we have to have one, might as well be him.

Like swapping out one Heisman winner for another. Of course one is far more mobile than the other.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Newton gets eaten alive, but if we have to have one, might as well be him.

Like swapping out one Heisman winner for another. Of course one is far more mobile than the other.

That's one of the main traits that I like about Locker is he's quite Mobile and why I wouldn't even mind Newtton...

I want a Mobile QB Screw the "bronze statue style"

That's one of the main traits that I like about Locker is he's quite Mobile and why I wouldn't even mind Newtton...

Well Newtown could keep the play alive thats for sure, only thing i wonder is how is his passing? Is he more of a running QB or could he pass and be accurate when need be? He always did the shotgun, can he play under center. Alot of questions, but he is a winner

Well Newtown could keep the play alive thats for sure, only thing i wonder is how is his passing? Is he more of a running QB or could he pass and be accurate when need be? He always did the shotgun, can he play under center. Alot of questions, but he is a winner

So was Palmer at USC. Just saying.

Thought USC ran pro style or did you mean being mobile?

Thought USC ran pro style or did you mean being mobile?

I meant both Carson and Cam were winners in college. Both won the Heisman. Newton topped Palmer by winning the Championship however.

I'm not enamored with any of these QBs either but if I had to pick one for the Bengals I'd like to see them go with Ryan Mallett. The Bengals will not set up an offense to suit a mobile, free lancing QB so they best not force that square peg. They need a pocket passer and that's Mallett. I know Mallett has the look of Jay Cutler and Jeff George but he also looks like Dan Marino. I think those are the dice I'd like to see them roll

I'm not enamored with any of these QBs either but if I had to pick one for the Bengals I'd like to see them go with Ryan Mallett. The Bengals will not set up an offense to suit a mobile, free lancing QB so they best not force that square peg. They need a pocket passer and that's Mallett. I know Mallett has the look of Jay Cutler and Jeff George but he also looks like Dan Marino. I think those are the dice I'd like to see them roll

Ryan Mallet is the QB I want the Least..Character issues no mobility and being behind a bad Oline? nothx.

I don't like any of the QB's in this draft and won't pretend any of them are going to be anything great ever.

That being said, if I had to roll the dice, Newton would be the one.

Mallett makes terrible decisions and so does Locker. They could be brothers from another mother.

Gabbert ?? Never heard of him, so I can't say. Never even saw him play. That's not saying much...

Ryan Mallet is the QB I want the Least..Character issues no mobility and being behind a bad Oline? nothx.

The only character problem I'm aware of is his public intoxication thing. How many of us weren't intoxicated in public at some point in college? As for mobility, he can move w/i the pocket. How much mobility do guys like the Manning boys, Tom Brady or Dan Marino have? But I do understand your concerns. Anyone who drafts him is rolling the dice

There is not a Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers or even a Tim Tebow in this draft, every QB has significant warts. Cam Newton is a one year wonder playing in a non pro style offense in a system that only requires him to read half the field, he locks onto his receivers and does not regularly go through his progressions. Locker was awful this year, how much of that was the team who knows but you have to question his decision making by returning to school knowing what he had coming back on the team, no points for coming back to school if that move is stupid. Mallet is a character issue, and there are rumors he is going to score in the low single digits on the Wonderlic....absolutely not! Take a mid round guy, let Lefevor start and see if we can catch lightning in a bottle and build the oline and the defense. The two best defenses in the NFC made it to the championship game and 2 of the 3 best defenses in the AFC made it (and Baltimore was beat by Pittsburgh 1 vs 2 in my mind). And IMHO the best defenses in both conferences are playing in the Superbowl. Defense is the way to go in the NFL there are a ton a great prospects on the defensive side of the ball lock up the D-Line lock up the secondary and the linebacking corp and you don't have to worry about the offense, if Lefevor falls on his face take Andrew Luck next year.

BTW not to toot my own horn or anything but Von Miller has shot up to #3 on Scott Wright's latest mock draft (NFL Draft Countdown), still would love to get Peterson, Fairley, Clayborn, or Miller with #4 regardless of the QB position.

There is not a Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers or even a Tim Tebow in this draft, every QB has significant warts.

I say we draft the guy with the most warts. Big, pustulant hairy warts. Warts that make the other team's defenders go "no f**kin' way am I touching that dude."

Even better, is there a leper available in the draft?

Mikey gets props for hiring the handicapped and we don't need an o-line any more. We can go nine wide!

A look at a few of the QB prospects out there. I personally like Kaepernick from Nevada. He is a little raw but is mobile, has a good arm and has a frame to build on. Marvin mentioned him specifically in some of his comments. I also like Dalton from TCU.

If they decide to take a QB, they really need to access the intangibles. Get guys that are winners and project well as leaders. We have leaned too much on physical attributes in the past (Klingler, Akili and even Carson) too much and not on being a winner. Say what you want about Boomer or Kitna but they both played with a fire that doesn't seem to be there now.

There are guys that are probably 2nd or 3rd rounders that will turn out to be as good or better than the guys projected to go in the first round. For once I would go in that direction. And a renewed emphasis on the defense will take the pressure off of anyone that might have to start for this team next year.

From Reedy:

http://news.cincinna...PT02/101260358/

The most intriguing of the three is Nevada's Colin Kaepernick. Although he played in a spread offense, he quickly has adapted and looks comfortable running pro offenses."Right now I'm working on that as far as the concept of what the offense wants to do. I don't feel that is going to be a problem at all," he said. "I think the biggest thing is you have to pick up on things very fast."

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has liked what he has seen of the three so far, praising Locker's leadership and presence in the huddle, Kaepernick's athleticism and Stanzi's disposition. The rotation in which the three will play Saturday will be determined later in the week.The quarterbacks on the South are: Alabama's Greg McElroy, TCU's Andy Dalton and Florida State's Christian Ponder and all grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

From Pro Football Weekly

http://www.profootba...de-hard-to-miss

North head coach Marvin Lewis has liked Kaepernick's ability to improvise in a distinctly professional way. "I think the thing that's impressed me in two practices is that we've had some free rushers come through a little bit, and Colin's been able to come and move around them and deliver the ball downfield, which is part of playing quarterback in the National Football League," he said. "His pocket presence, how he moves in the pocket, he's done a nice job with that."

Today, Colin Kaepernick is a prospect. Tomorrow? Insert your favorite applicable saying about uncertainty here. All we can be certain of is that he has a skill set that Draft Day decision makers don't dislike. Zampese summed up the best parts of his skill set succinctly:

"He can move and make plays on the run."

That combination will open some doors for you.

And that is the "combination" that's lacking in our present QB. Let's hope our coaching staff doesn't get so excited about seeing such skills that they forget about the more important ones like accuracy and arm strength. As I recall this QB is a "rail"

On a completely different note, I caught this on walterfootball's senior bowl day 2 rising/falling stock page:

Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California

Cameron Jordan is a beast. He's dominated the Senior Bowl practices thus far. In fact, he was so aggressive that he hit the quarterback on one occasion, prompting Marvin Lewis to pull Jordan aside and tell him, "If you do that again, they're gonna give you a GPS and you're gonna have to drive out of here." Jordan won't make it past New England at No. 17, and he could go as high as Dallas at No. 9.

On a completely different note, I caught this on walterfootball's senior bowl day 2 rising/falling stock page:

Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California

Cameron Jordan is a beast. He's dominated the Senior Bowl practices thus far. In fact, he was so aggressive that he hit the quarterback on one occasion, prompting Marvin Lewis to pull Jordan aside and tell him, "If you do that again, they're gonna give you a GPS and you're gonna have to drive out of here." Jordan won't make it past New England at No. 17, and he could go as high as Dallas at No. 9.

Yep heard that Cam Jordan is looking real good, and so is Jenkins DT from clemson who i looking pretty good.

A look at a few of the QB prospects out there. I personally like Kaepernick from Nevada. He is a little raw but is mobile, has a good arm and has a frame to build on. Marvin mentioned him specifically in some of his comments. I also like Dalton from TCU.

If they decide to take a QB, they really need to access the intangibles. Get guys that are winners and project well as leaders. We have leaned too much on physical attributes in the past (Klingler, Akili and even Carson) too much and not on being a winner. Say what you want about Boomer or Kitna but they both played with a fire that doesn't seem to be there now.

There are guys that are probably 2nd or 3rd rounders that will turn out to be as good or better than the guys projected to go in the first round. For once I would go in that direction. And a renewed emphasis on the defense will take the pressure off of anyone that might have to start for this team next year.

From Reedy:

http://news.cincinna...PT02/101260358/

The most intriguing of the three is Nevada's Colin Kaepernick. Although he played in a spread offense, he quickly has adapted and looks comfortable running pro offenses."Right now I'm working on that as far as the concept of what the offense wants to do. I don't feel that is going to be a problem at all," he said. "I think the biggest thing is you have to pick up on things very fast."

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has liked what he has seen of the three so far, praising Locker's leadership and presence in the huddle, Kaepernick's athleticism and Stanzi's disposition. The rotation in which the three will play Saturday will be determined later in the week.The quarterbacks on the South are: Alabama's Greg McElroy, TCU's Andy Dalton and Florida State's Christian Ponder and all grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

From Pro Football Weekly

http://www.profootba...de-hard-to-miss

North head coach Marvin Lewis has liked Kaepernick's ability to improvise in a distinctly professional way. "I think the thing that's impressed me in two practices is that we've had some free rushers come through a little bit, and Colin's been able to come and move around them and deliver the ball downfield, which is part of playing quarterback in the National Football League," he said. "His pocket presence, how he moves in the pocket, he's done a nice job with that."

Today, Colin Kaepernick is a prospect. Tomorrow? Insert your favorite applicable saying about uncertainty here. All we can be certain of is that he has a skill set that Draft Day decision makers don't dislike. Zampese summed up the best parts of his skill set succinctly:

So what round is Colin supposed to go in????? I watched him play quite a few times, and looked pretty good. I wouldnt mind him if they can pick him up in the 2nd or 3rd.

So what round is Colin supposed to go in????? I watched him play quite a few times, and looked pretty good. I wouldnt mind him if they can pick him up in the 2nd or 3rd.

I don't really know. I haven't seen anything specific on him.

The only issue is that he is no longer a secret and that he overshoots where he really belongs in the draft because he does so well here and at the combine. Kyle Boller comes to mind unfortunately.

The only issue is that he is no longer a secret and that he overshoots where he really belongs in the draft because he does so well here and at the combine. Kyle Boller comes to mind unfortunately.

Yea and would you really reach really high for someone like this???? Only way i can see they do anything is if they get a high draft pick for Palmer or something.

Yea and would you really reach really high for someone like this???? Only way i can see they do anything is if they get a high draft pick for Palmer or something.

I don't see him leaping up that high (into the first round) but they could reach and take him in the 2nd if they feel like he won't be around in the 3rd or 4th.

I don't see him leaping up that high (into the first round) but they could reach and take him in the 2nd if they feel like he won't be around in the 3rd or 4th.

Right now he is looking like a solid 4th rounder, but he could go as high as 3rd. Not everyone was as high on Colin as Marvin, the web chatter has not been stellar.