Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

The silence for the Palmer camp following the firing of Bratkowski and the hiring of Gruden speaks volumes to me

Said another way, had these moves been along the lines of resolving what is "in his craw", I believe he would have come out and said so.

IMHO -- He will not play here again. He'll either retire or be traded (I take it as assumed that a new CBA will be arrived at eventually, tho I have no idea when)

I suppose it is remotely possible he could simply not report for the remaining three years of his contract at which point he'd be a free agent, but I doubt he'd get anything more than a vet min contract to tryout for some random team at that point after a full three years out of football, and probably would not be anything more than a backup if he were to stick

I agree i dont see him playing here anymore either.

And if that happens the real bright side is going to be seeing Gruden's influence in getting the next QB in here. We'll know coming up on the draft for sure what is going to happen.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they TRULY are going to run a west coast system, then maybe (don't kill me for tis, hear me out) McNamm Could handle snaps for a year?

Could do quite a lot worse, he had no WR's or RB's in Washington...still has big arm and can lead a team. Why not?

They's need to get the RB's integrated far more into the passing game, which to me means more touches for Scott.

Unless they do take a big name QB at 4, I'd rather see McNabb than suffer through with Lefevoure. For what its worth, Palmer is a goner.

well this offseason seems be perfect for WCO QB's

Some possibility's

Dennis Dixon (Get Steelers Playbook and I'd take him over Leinhart or Smith)

Seneca Wallace

Matt Hassleback

Donavon Mcnabb (not FA But maybe if he gets cut and needs a place for 1 year prove it deal.

Bruce Gradkowski

Troy Smith

Ironically, the way I see it, our chances of Palmer playing the 2011 season in a Bengals' uniform are the greatest if there's an extended lockout. The longer the lockout goes, the less opportunity there'll be to trade him or for for him to learn another system. If by some miracle they settle this by draft day then I'd say he's as good as gone

Ironically, the way I see it, our chances of Palmer playing the 2011 season in a Bengals' uniform are the greatest if there's an extended lockout. The longer the lockout goes, the less opportunity there'll be to trade him or for for him to learn another system. If by some miracle they settle this by draft day then I'd say he's as good as gone

There's no trade coming. He'll either be a Bengal or retire.

I don't think he'll retire. I'm not saying he's bluffing... but the closer he gets to the start of the season the harder it will be for him to go through with it.

There's no trade coming. He'll either be a Bengal or retire.

I don't think he'll retire. I'm not saying he's bluffing... but the closer he gets to the start of the season the harder it will be for him to go through with it.

I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree. I'm just thinking about Carson's psyche. If MB has several months to trade him then Carson might get PO'd and would be more inclined to sit out. Whereas if the CBA is not signed then Carson may see that this just wasn't the year to demand a trade and would end up sucking it up for one more year here.

I feel Palmer is the kind of guy who would not have taken the step to ask for a trade or indicate he'd retire if it was not granted, if he was not going to go through with it. He is a low-key guy who does not do anything on a whimsy. This was a long time coming and will shape this franchise for years to come.

I do not know if SoP will have the courage to accede to the demand. He is, if nothing else, rigid in his convictions. Will he realize that this episode will be viewed as SoP driving Palmer away from the game of football? I doubt it. He will simply put on his contract attorney hat and state that the contract is valid and in-force, noting that they adhered to the pertinent performance portion of the fine print, and claim placing the blame on him is simply a "theme".

If SoP drives Palmer from the NFL, can we finally assign the "Super Fund" site status to the 5 or 7 acres of property down by the river?

As for the actual "draft pick" discussion, I have seen a handful of mock sites (couple expert) that are moving Von Miller to the DE position. While I am aware the Bengals have not been as successful at moving players from one position to another, does the thought of a Von Miller on the other end from Dunlap excite anyone ??

While I like what he brings as a linebacker, that is not as big a need as other spots and don't like him as a LB pick that high. If the thought is that he is going to be a 4-3 DE, now I could see the interest increase. The kid really has some physical gifts...

As for the actual "draft pick" discussion, I have seen a handful of mock sites (couple expert) that are moving Von Miller to the DE position. While I am aware the Bengals have not been as successful at moving players from one position to another, does the thought of a Von Miller on the other end from Dunlap excite anyone ??

While I like what he brings as a linebacker, that is not as big a need as other spots and don't like him as a LB pick that high. If the thought is that he is going to be a 4-3 DE, now I could see the interest increase. The kid really has some physical gifts...

I like Von Miller, in my mind he will be a game changer where ever he will play. He is all over the field, and i will not have a problem if they take him at the #4 postion.

I like Von Miller, in my mind he will be a game changer where ever he will play. He is all over the field, and i will not have a problem if they take him at the #4 postion.

I would not advocate taking a LB that high. Looking at the LB's going that high (top 10) - McClain, Curry, Rivers, Gholston, Hawk, is very hit/miss. I think Von Miller is very good but not at 4. And not LB at 4 for the Bengals.

The weaknesses at DL, WR, OL, and health of the secondary and the ? mark at QB, all direct me to think r1-4 will not be a LB. Not with Green, Peterson, Newton, Fairley, Bowers, Dareus all possibly there at 4.

Just my .02.

I feel Palmer is the kind of guy who would not have taken the step to ask for a trade or indicate he'd retire if it was not granted, if he was not going to go through with it.

Ding ding ding ding! Right answer.

I would not advocate taking a LB that high. Looking at the LB's going that high (top 10) - McClain, Curry, Rivers, Gholston, Hawk, is very hit/miss. I think Von Miller is very good but not at 4. And not LB at 4 for the Bengals.

The weaknesses at DL, WR, OL, and health of the secondary and the ? mark at QB, all direct me to think r1-4 will not be a LB. Not with Green, Peterson, Newton, Fairley, Bowers, Dareus all possibly there at 4.

Just my .02.

Yeah, I agree, but the thought is there are some (experts included) that think he may be better suited at DE in a 4-3 base.

With THAT thought in mind, does he intrigue you further at #4. It's still a no for me, but thought I'd mention what I saw.

I feel Palmer is the kind of guy who would not have taken the step to ask for a trade or indicate he'd retire if it was not granted, if he was not going to go through with it.

Cool, so which QB are we going after in FA or are we content with Cam Newton at #4 ??

Since this is a "draft" thread, lets limit it to which QB will they take without Palmer here ??

I would still prefer the "none" answer, but that is a bad place for this Bengals team at this point in time I think.

Cool, so which QB are we going after in FA or are we content with Cam Newton at #4 ??

I am, but I also realize I'm in the minority here. In simple terms I see Newton as a better Roethlisberger. Stronger arm, no sexual assaults, combined with better foot speed hung on a frame that can shake off/stiff arm tacklers while having to scramble.

Let the new OC have his shot a developing a new QB within his new system.

This is something that actually appeals to me if and when Carson doesn't return (which I think he does).

Then again, there may be a new head coach next year who fires Gruden and then he's stuck.

I see little change from that standpoint, but who knows ??

This is something that actually appeals to me if and when Carson doesn't return (which I think he does).

Then again, there may be a new head coach next year who fires Gruden and then he's stuck.

I see little change from that standpoint, but who knows ??

Or perhaps does Gruden get a shot? MB is big on football families and lineage around the game. The guy has done just about everything at many levels of football so who knows.

Just my .02.

Yeah, I agree, but the thought is there are some (experts included) that think he may be better suited at DE in a 4-3 base.

With THAT thought in mind, does he intrigue you further at #4. It's still a no for me, but thought I'd mention what I saw.

Since this is a "draft" thread, lets limit it to which QB will they take without Palmer here ??

I would still prefer the "none" answer, but that is a bad place for this Bengals team at this point in time I think.

I think the only way to proceed is to take Carson at his word. As of now, if they are not trading him, he's retired.

Then, examine a guy like McNabb or Bulger. If they have some gas in their tank, bring them in. Cut Jordan.

Cam *could* be the answer. The west coast system works best with a mobile QB (think McNabb, Vick or Steve Young), and not so good with a slow guy (Carson, Pennington, Hasselback). Newton has the tools and wins. Is 4 too high? I don't think so. The thing to consider is where do you go next year? a stop-gap guy like McNabb will buy you a season. Is ther a QB you want NEXT year? Getting Newton to tutor in the offense under a guy like McNabb would be ideal. There is not a Cam Newton in next years draft. The stars align on this being the chance to get the QB for the next decade.

If he is not taken, then get Green, Peterson, Bowers or Quinn, in that order.

Or, trade down.

I have been watching alot of youtube videos on Cam, and he sure is a winner and i love to watch him play. Only thing that concerns me, is he just a college QB. It looks like he has arm strength, he can run, he is strong, but will he be accurate enough to complete the passes???

If they would choose Cam at #4 then i hope they address the o-line help in FA, and then they can draft WR help in the second. I really hope if they know Carson dosnt come back they trade him to actully get some more picks. Also trade Chad for draft picks also. They have to many holes to fill.

I have been watching alot of youtube videos on Cam, and he sure is a winner and i love to watch him play. Only thing that concerns me, is he just a college QB. It looks like he has arm strength, he can run, he is strong, but will he be accurate enough to complete the passes???

If they would choose Cam at #4 then i hope they address the o-line help in FA, and then they can draft WR help in the second. I really hope if they know Carson dosnt come back they trade him to actully get some more picks. Also trade Chad for draft picks also. They have to many holes to fill.

Let's say they get a r2 pick for Carson and a r2 pick for Chad. I'd take that in a heartbeat. I'd take 2 r3 picks. Instantly.

Getting another two picks in the r2 and r3 range is gold.

It give the team lots of currency to trade up as well.

Let's say they get a r2 pick for Carson and a r2 pick for Chad. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I'd call that the VERY best case scenario, meaning the odds of it are quite low. Wouldn't complain a bit if it happened though.

Let's say they get a r2 pick for Carson and a r2 pick for Chad. I'd take that in a heartbeat. I'd take 2 r3 picks. Instantly.

Five picks in the top 100 would be awesome. If that happens I'd like to see them trade out into the next year like the Patriots do. For a team that is always looking ahead it gives great flexibility for trading up or moving around the next year if needed.

Smartest thing the bengals could do, find buyers who will take these two players for hight draft picks. I would love this if it could happen it would be a great start to the offseason.