Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

Here's a neat clip from a feature on NFL.com. They will be following 14 rookies including local product Kyle Rudolph (Elder HS/Notre Dame) as they prepare for the 2011 NFL Draft for an NFL/Gatorade web series. Rudolph is shown a few times and there are also several shots of the Bengals from what looks like Hard Knocks and one of Marvin Lewis at the Senior Bowl last weekend. What impressed me is how big and sculpted some of these guys are. The specialized conditioning and physical training that these guys go thru is truly amazing. It's a big change from just ten years ago.

/>http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-everything-to-prove/09000d5d81e0c444/Gatorade-Everything-to-Prove-Trailer

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on how Gruden's hiring (and I'm assuming the implementation of some west coast principles) affect the draft, specifically at QB? Is there a guy out there who could function well in a west coast system?

Honestly, I'm not as down on Christian Ponder as a lot of people.

Any thoughts on how Gruden's hiring (and I'm assuming the implementation of some west coast principles) affect the draft, specifically at QB? Is there a guy out there who could function well in a west coast system?

What about Andy Dalton from TCU?

Dalton is very interesting, and you can get him late in the draft. Still not sold on any QBs in this draft! If Palmer does not come back or does not want to by in on the new offense, then they need to trade him and get the highest picks they can. I still say get Kolb he is young, and knows the west coast offense very well.

About the same as Andy Griffith from Mayberry RFD.

All of these QB's are about useless to me in this draft and honestly feel once you get past the top two, we would be better seeing what LeFevour would bring us. Locker, Mallett, Kaepernick, Dalton, or whomever you want to name are no better than LeFevour IMHO. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it. Hell, I never heard of half these guys until we got to the Senior Bowl and headed into the combine. Forget about it...

All of these QB's are about useless to me in this draft and honestly feel once you get past the top two, we would be better seeing what LeFevour would bring us.

I'd argue the following are better than Lefevour

Joe Montana was drafted in Round 3

Tom Brady was drafted in round 6

Ken Anderson was drafted in round 3

Dan Fouts was drafted in round 3

Mark Rypien was drafted in round 6

Trent Green was drafted in round 8

(etc etc etc)

All of these QB's are about useless to me in this draft and honestly feel once you get past the top two, we would be better seeing what LeFevour would bring us.

(etc etc etc)

LeFevour drafted in round 6, and we dont know how he is yet. I still think they should work with him and see what they got. He was great in college, and i think would do pretty good in the WCO. They really need to see what they got with him, instead of wasting a pick. There are a bunch of holes that need to be filled.

"He can move and make plays on the run."

That combination will open some doors for you.

And that is the "combination" that's lacking in our present QB. Let's hope our coaching staff doesn't get so excited about seeing such skills that they forget about the more important ones like accuracy and arm strength. As I recall this QB is a "rail"

What made me start liking him,He made few nice plays during senior bowl where he was about to get hit dodge and make a complete pass.

(etc etc etc)

That's awesome that those specific QB's are better than LeFevour. I'm wondering once you get past Newton or maybe the other kid I've never heard of (Gabbert) how much better they would be for the Bengals this season than LeFevour ?? Mallett ?? Locker ?? Kaepernick ?? Name your QB in this draft and how many of them are better than what LeFevour could bring to us with the WCO ??

I think the obvious answer is, we don't know, but before we consider drafting a guy in the 3rd round when we have other holes, we would be wise to answer that question. The kid has been in the system now and has an equal upside than some of the QB's this draft. He's big, has an arm, is mobile, and is accurate. The knock was the offense he played in college.

Seriously, watch games of the kid. He may not be the absolute answer here, but I'm not sold that ANY quarterback in this draft is.

(etc etc etc)

That's awesome that those specific QB's are better than LeFevour. I'm wondering once you get past Newton or maybe the other kid I've never heard of (Gabbert) how much better they would be for the Bengals this season than LeFevour ?? Mallett ?? Locker ?? Kaepernick ?? Name your QB in this draft and how many of them are better than what LeFevour could bring to us with the WCO ??

I think the obvious answer is, we don't know, but before we consider drafting a guy in the 3rd round when we have other holes, we would be wise to answer that question. The kid has been in the system now and has an equal upside than some of the QB's this draft. He's big, has an arm, is mobile, and is accurate. The knock was the offense he played in college.

Seriously, watch games of the kid. He may not be the absolute answer here, but I'm not sold that ANY quarterback in this draft is.

Im with you on this, im sold on giving LeFevour a chance if Palmer is not here. I think they should be working with him right now to see what hes got, get him caught up on the offense. Ive been watching highlights of him in college, and i have been loving what ive seen so far. Im not saying he is the next elite QB, but i think he is worth a shot, especially over the other QBs coming out. Im all in for LeFevour, lets see what hes got!!!

Add me to the LeFevour bandwagon. If there was a legit prospect at 4 I might say bite the bullet and do it, but there isn't. And I don't see a lot of space between Dan and what we might pick in rounds 2 or 3. I'd rather use those picks on the d-line, RB and o-line.

Add me to the LeFevour bandwagon. If there was a legit prospect at 4 I might say bite the bullet and do it, but there isn't. And I don't see a lot of space between Dan and what we might pick in rounds 2 or 3. I'd rather use those picks on the d-line, RB and o-line.

Kiper and McShay both said when he was drafted that in a couple years LeFevour should be starting, well i guess better late then ever LOL LOL. Last year he was the best QB at the senior bowl, and looked really good. Like i said not saying he will be great or the next best thing, but i think he is worth the look at. I think if they get started with him now, it would be positive, since we dont know if Palmer is quiting on the team.

That's awesome that those specific QB's are better than LeFevour. I'm wondering once you get past Newton or maybe the other kid I've never heard of (Gabbert) how much better they would be for the Bengals this season than LeFevour ??

My point is that no one in the draft rooms thought the guys I named would be good, great, or even legendary level QBs

and so they were drafted later

Same thing with the guys in this draft - you dont know for sure which ones (if any) will be great, and there's a decent chance one or more of them ones drafted late will be a solid starter or better. Greatness is not reserved for guys picked in the first round

Kiper and McShay both said when he was drafted that in a couple years LeFevour should be starting, well i guess better late then ever LOL LOL. Last year he was the best QB at the senior bowl, and looked really good. Like i said not saying he will be great or the next best thing, but i think he is worth the look at. I think if they get started with him now, it would be positive, since we dont know if Palmer is quiting on the team.

It's all dependant on Palmer coming back but at the very least he will get some looks in the preseason, if there is one. That is one thing I will look forward to in training camp.

If they feel LeFevour can be a starter i'd support it,like Army mentioned he has quality's you would want.But I still wouldn't bringing in someone else and letting them compete encase he doesn't have what it takes.0

PS the thing that does worry me about Lefevour though is his arm strength.

That shouldn't be as big a problem with the so called "West Coast" offense. The whole reason Walsh came up with it was because of Kenny Anderson's noodle arm. Gannon didn't have much of an arm and had much success with the other Gruden's offense in Oakland.

That's awesome that those specific QB's are better than LeFevour. I'm wondering once you get past Newton or maybe the other kid I've never heard of (Gabbert) how much better they would be for the Bengals this season than LeFevour ??

My point is that no one in the draft rooms thought the guys I named would be good, great, or even legendary level QBs

and so they were drafted later

Same thing with the guys in this draft - you dont know for sure which ones (if any) will be great, and there's a decent chance one or more of them ones drafted late will be a solid starter or better. Greatness is not reserved for guys picked in the first round

Oh, I got you TJ and agree with what you are saying, but LeFevour is in that same category and my point is, that he has the same intangible (of not better) than most of the guys we would consider drafting in the late rounds. With that being the case I ask, why bother ??

On a side note to what TDB said, I'm all for giving LeFevour a look, but agree that if Carson leaves, they will bring in a FA or draft one in the first few rounds. I could see them going after a one year deal somewhere, while seeing what LeFevour brings you. If they simply aren't sold LeFevour will be sh*t, they bite the bullet (as mentioned) and take one at #4.

If they feel LeFevour can be a starter i'd support it,like Army mentioned he has quality's you would want.But I still wouldn't bringing in someone else and letting them compete encase he doesn't have what it takes.0

I wouldnt worry too much about his arm strength, i was watching him last year throw 45 yard bombs in the senior bowl and hitting the WRs. His arm might not be as strong as Carsons, but its strong enough.

I also think they need to bring in another QB, because screw Jordan Palmer also, there is no reason to keep Jorday around he is not very good. If they feel like LeFevour is not the answer, then they should make the trade to the eagles for Kolb, somebody who has been in the WCO before and has some experience.

Count me out of the LeFevour bandwagon.

The weak arm doesn't concern me that much... because we're supposedly going to be running the West Coast. That's where LeFevour belongs if he's ever going to be an NFL QB. But...

While I don't want to reduce his entire career into the one game I watched of him (The Bowl Game against Troy his Senior year), I noticed that every single time Troy blitzed, LeFevour panicked. I'm not suggesting he can learn... but let's just say that he doesn't naturally possess a calm, collected pocket awareness. And that's not what I want in a QB who plays the Ravens and Steelers twice a year.

Secondly, I did some reading on him, and the player he was most often compared to was Charlie Frye. Thanks, but no thanks.

If they TRULY are going to run a west coast system, then maybe (don't kill me for tis, hear me out) McNamm Could handle snaps for a year?

Could do quite a lot worse, he had no WR's or RB's in Washington...still has big arm and can lead a team. Why not?

They's need to get the RB's integrated far more into the passing game, which to me means more touches for Scott.

Unless they do take a big name QB at 4, I'd rather see McNabb than suffer through with Lefevoure. For what its worth, Palmer is a goner.

The silence for the Palmer camp following the firing of Bratkowski and the hiring of Gruden speaks volumes to me

Said another way, had these moves been along the lines of resolving what is "in his craw", I believe he would have come out and said so.

IMHO -- He will not play here again. He'll either retire or be traded (I take it as assumed that a new CBA will be arrived at eventually, tho I have no idea when)

I suppose it is remotely possible he could simply not report for the remaining three years of his contract at which point he'd be a free agent, but I doubt he'd get anything more than a vet min contract to tryout for some random team at that point after a full three years out of football, and probably would not be anything more than a backup if he were to stick

The silence for the Palmer camp following the firing of Bratkowski and the hiring of Gruden speaks volumes to me

Said another way, had these moves been along the lines of resolving what is "in his craw", I believe he would have come out and said so.

IMHO -- He will not play here again. He'll either retire or be traded (I take it as assumed that a new CBA will be arrived at eventually, tho I have no idea when)

I suppose it is remotely possible he could simply not report for the remaining three years of his contract at which point he'd be a free agent, but I doubt he'd get anything more than a vet min contract to tryout for some random team at that point after a full three years out of football, and probably would not be anything more than a backup if he were to stick

I agree i dont see him playing here anymore either.