Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

I have been watching alot of youtube videos on Cam, and he sure is a winner and i love to watch him play. Only thing that concerns me, is he just a college QB. It looks like he has arm strength, he can run, he is strong, but will he be accurate enough to complete the passes???

If they would choose Cam at #4 then i hope they address the o-line help in FA, and then they can draft WR help in the second. I really hope if they know Carson dosnt come back they trade him to actully get some more picks. Also trade Chad for draft picks also. They have to many holes to fill.

The latest on Newton.
/>http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81deaa6e/Cam-Newton-latest

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest Draft order with trades from last year.

http://en.wikipedia..../2011_NFL_Draft

It's interesting to see what people gave up in trades. Getting a couple of 2nd rounders for Carson and Chad seems realistic based on the list below.

Oakland gave up a 1st rounder to NE for Richard Seymour.

NYJ gave a 2nd round pick to SD for A. Cromartie

Minny gave up a 3rd rounder to NE for Moss.

In regard to what the market is for Carson, I will concede that it may be no higher than a 2nd rounder, but will also throw out there that his value is more based upon what the team trading for him is willing to give. Point being if said team thinks Carson will take them to the playoffs and they don't see any of the QB's in this draft being capable of that, what is that worth to them ??

San Francisco is the main target for me in this scenario. They are a team Carson would LOVE to play for. They have a new coach I believe Carson would also love to play for and they play in a weakass division. I would place all the money I won on the Packers this year (hundreds) that Carson would get them to the playoffs.

So many may say he's only worth a second, but if that's the case, there had better be at least a 3rd in that trade. If they went to the 49er's and offered him for their 1st rounder only, I think that would be doable. Just look at what Cutler got the Broncos in that trade. I know there is an age difference there, but you can't let your hate for Carson sway the fact he is a franchise type QB.

I know there is an age difference there, but you can't let your hate for Carson sway the fact he is a franchise type QB.

Considering his performance the past few years, I honestly don't view him at that level. IMHO whatever he had before his knee injury has been lost. I truly feel he grew up as an overly pampered southern California white kid who when met with adversity, could not rise to meet it. We need to start drafting from different demographics at the QB position.

I know there is an age difference there, but you can't let your hate for Carson sway the fact he is a franchise type QB.

Considering his performance the past few years, I honestly don't view him at that level. IMHO whatever he had before his knee injury has been lost.

Don't get me wrong here Billy, I am looking at this from a perspective of what we could get for him in trade, not coming from a love fest position here.

With what you said above, would it surprise you or anyone else that Carson threw the ball more in 2010 than any other year, but was only a pecentage point off his career completion average of 62.9% ?? That he also was only 30 yards shy of another 4000 yard season, which would have been his third (never before had a Bengals QB thrown for 4000 yards) ?? He threw 26 TD's, which is tied for 3rd best in his career ??

My concern with Palmer this past season had more to do with the decision making and the fact they were forcing the ball to the dynamic f*ckrags. There are many noted instances of the WR's running poor routes and dropping passes, not to mention the stale playcalling of Brat. His issues can easily be corrected IMHO and there was actual proof of it when Chad and TO were no longer in the mix.

I'm just trying to look at this from all angles and I just feel Carson is worth far more than a simple 2nd or 3rd rounder. F*CK Charlie Whitehurst was traded to Seattle for a 3rd rounder. Maybe all we get is a 2nd for him, but I would honestly rather see them take the same stance with him that they did with Chad. Go ahead and retire if you want. My gut says, he won't do it.

The next questions have to do with what they would do "post" Palmer...

Orton was mentioned and when you compare his stats with Carson's over the past couple of seasons, the only one that jumps out as so much worse is his completion percentage. The yards and TD's are right there and his INT's are better than Carson's. With that thought in mind and looking at what his trade value might be, would anyone be over the top upset by giving up our 4th rounder to get him ??

If we are playing the "what if" game (c'mon, it's the time of the year for it) and we only get a 2nd for Carson and another 2nd for Chad (yeah, I'm still hoping you are on it Hair), leaving us with three 2nd rounders, what do you do ??

Do you take Newton in the first or do you roll with Orton and build ?? I'd say roll, and take Green in the first and BPA (within reason) with all three picks in the 2nd. Give me a OG/OC, DE, and Safety. Yeah, that would be nice. Heck, I really wouldn't even mind taking Newton in that scenario either.

Just say no to Orton he's so overrated -_- I'd almost take Kolb over him

Well, he's had far less to work with and put up comparable numbers. With that thought in mind, I'd rather have him than any QB in this draft that could be had with our 4th round pick. Kolb will take a 2nd round pick to get i'm thinking.

Write it down: here's our new QB.

The Redeemer strikes again.

I'd jump for joy if we could steal him in the 2nd rd but I doubt he'll be there. I think Mallett will wow folks with a Jeff George-like workout and he'll move back to the 1st rd

I'd jump for joy if we could steal him in the 2nd rd but I doubt he'll be there. I think Mallett will wow folks with a Jeff George-like workout and he'll move back to the 1st rd

If I wanted a Tom Brady Peyton manning low mobility big arm QB then ya I'd love him,I just really don't want someone who is very immobile that couldn't avoid a sack to save his life "shrug" time for change.

Oh God no. Another statue in standing in the pocket? We need a QB with both arm and legs!

Yup so many QB's in this years draft that are mobile why settle on a statue?

Nothing wrong with statues in the pocket. Look no further than Drew Bress, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If you want mobile QBs you have to deal with injuries. The best case scenario are guys like Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers--both of whom dealt with multiple concussions. Then you have guys like McNabb, McNair and Vick--all of whom had multiple broken bones.

The Bengals way is to set up your offense around your QB, protect him, pay him and have him mobile enough to sidestep the rush or occasionally scramble out of bounds. The Bengals, unlike the Steelers, center the O around the QB and he is too valuable to lose.

And remember, any college QB will look mobile compared to post 2005 Carson Palmer

I saw that and had a similar thought.

I still think Mike Brown is going to try to call Palmer's bluff, and if it's not a bluff, LeFevour will be the plan. But if Mallet is there in the 2nd round, I could easily see Brown thinking about trading Palmer post-draft and rolling with Mallet.

That said... I watched him play in several games this year. While watching the Buckeye game I told my friends, "Don't worry. Mallet will throw a game losing interception in the 4th quarter." He does that a lot, and the Bowl Game was no exception.

He's got all the tools, but he's the opposite of clutch... and I'd rather have a guy who lacked tools, but was clutch in the 4th.

That said... I watched him play in several games this year. While watching the Buckeye game I told my friends, "Don't worry. Mallet will throw a game losing interception in the 4th quarter." He does that a lot, and the Bowl Game was no exception.

He's got all the tools, but he's the opposite of clutch... and I'd rather have a guy who lacked tools, but was clutch in the 4th.

I hear what you're saying and that bothers me as well but remember a few things. One is that Drew Brees was known for throwing late INTs for Purdue as well. Also, that late INT wouldn't have happened if ARK was playing with a comfortable lead, which they would have had if their WRs had hung onto some beautifully thrown Mallett passes.

There is no sure thing in this draft at QB. Nothing even close, but Mallett has a lot of upside

I flatly reject any scenario based upon the Bengals getting no more than a 2nd round pick for Palmer. Bark all you want but the guy has played at an elite level not so long ago, and comes with four years remaining on a contract that doesn't need to be renegotiated. Plus, he's a veteran, a fact that should be very appealing to any team currently considering any of the rookie QB's from this years draft class. For example, what team would willingly spend a 1st round pick on a Jake Locker but wouldn't gladly spend as much or more on a Carson Palmer? Best, in theory Palmer would be available to any team regardless of where they drafted.

Disagree?

Well quite frankly, who cares? Because any argument based upon Palmer being worth substantially less likely results in a scenario where the Bengals don't trade Palmer at all.

Point blank, if this thing really happens it won't be a no-reserve action where Palmer automatically goes to the highest bidder regardless of price. Instead, this will be a reserve auction where Palmer isn't traded at all unless the bids exceed the Bengals asking price. And IMHO that fact alone dictates the bidding will start at a 1st round pick WITH an added sweetner.

Ryan Mallet is not the answer here. Sure he has the arm, but he is not very accurate, and i wonder about his knees. They need to be smart and not select him. His draft status is droping fast also.

If they are serious about drafting a QB then they better look hard a Newton, i dont really see another great QB in this draft. They really need to get as many draft picks as they can, and start to build this o-line back up.

I flatly reject any scenario based upon the Bengals getting no more than a 2nd round pick for Palmer. Bark all you want but the guy has played at an elite level not so long ago, and comes with four years remaining on a contract that doesn't need to be renegotiated.

Two issues there: First, contract aside, he'd probably net a first simply due to the 'Bengals Factor'. Other teams will be willing to give benefit of the doubt that whatever's wrong with him is due to where he plays.

However, that contract's pretty steep - I don't think that's an attractive feature to another team.

Ryan Mallet is not the answer here. Sure he has the arm, but he is not very accurate, and i wonder about his knees. They need to be smart and not select him. His draft status is droping fast also.

If they are serious about drafting a QB then they better look hard a Newton, i dont really see another great QB in this draft. They really need to get as many draft picks as they can, and start to build this o-line back up.

I don't like Newton as a Bengal. They don't know how to develop an offense around his strengths. I do think he could be successful in the right system if his coaches are creative. Simply put, Mike Brown does not want his franchise QBs scrambling around

I flatly reject any scenario based upon the Bengals getting no more than a 2nd round pick for Palmer. Bark all you want but the guy has played at an elite level not so long ago, and comes with four years remaining on a contract that doesn't need to be renegotiated.

Two issues there: First, contract aside, he'd probably net a first simply due to the 'Bengals Factor'. Other teams will be willing to give benefit of the doubt that whatever's wrong with him is due to where he plays.

However, that contract's pretty steep - I don't think that's an attractive feature to another team.

Ya but I'd say there's a good chance Carson is willing to renegotiate for another team and they aren't at risk at said playing only having 1 year left and deciding they rather test the market.

Trent dilfer on van pelt show right now and is running out of superlatives to describe cam newton's workout today. Apparently even the accuracy, and said the velocity was unreal. Said from talent evaluation standpoint, he was off the charts.

For what it's worth.

For what it's worth. Perhaps newton really will move up to top of draft boards. Be curious to see if the reports from other observers are similarly glowi

ng.