Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

DT help will be there are 4 in Marcell Dareus. The guy would fit perfectly for what we do. We were terrible against the run so it shouldn't be out of the question to take a DT at 4.

I have to admit Dareus moved far better than I would have guessed. Very impressive but it makes me wonder why his pass rush stats aren't better.

Actually, Hair, I don't know if you saw it but Dareus did an interview on NFLN after his drills. Apparently, he suffered a pretty severe high-ankle sprain in the Arkansas game (#4 of the season), and they were getting beat. He saw the dejected look on the team's face, went in and got taped up and gave a big pep talk before leading the team back out for a win. I don't know how severe it was, but I had a high ankle sprain a couple of times and no way was I able to play on it within 2 months. And I don't way 320lbs.

Honestly, after watching the combine and my memory of Dareus from the year before... I'm thinking he might be my #1. My only reluctance is that I think we can get good DT talent at the top of Rd. 2 which might make the argument better for Green in 1. For me, between Green, Dareus, and Peterson it's an awful hard choice (Peterson because I think he might have Ed Reed/Troy Polomalu impact and how do you pass up on that?) My big concern is if those three are gone - in which case I wouldn't be crushed with Quinn or Bowers - but I don't think those two are quite the rarity at their position that the first three listed are...

Well said sir. I think Dareus moved up to my number one followed very closely by Peterson, and Green. You can't go wrong really with anyone. Dareus did have 11 and half sacks in his career mostly played as a 3-4 end. Warren Sapp and Mayock both strongly agree that he is the best defensive lineman by far. And for one more little tidbit, Dareus was the player responsible for injuring Colt McCoy in the national championship game.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peterson is like a slightly bigger and faster Eric Berry. man, I am fickle right now. Peterson would look good in stripes.

Problem is he wants to be a corner :> was reading today that well he has elite skills Deion Said his back peddling and other corner traits aren't 1# CB type...Whic

Peterson is like a slightly bigger and faster Eric Berry. man, I am fickle right now. Peterson would look good in stripes.

Problem is he wants to be a corner :>

NFL Network’s Deion Sanders said he wanted to “poke holes” in the much-discussed Peterson, and he described Peterson’s footwork as just “OK,” adding, “I’d like to see him a little quicker — took too many steps to get to a certain point.” But Sanders acknowledged that he was just looking for minor areas where a great talent can improve.

“Peterson, he did nothing to persuade me not to think of him as the No. 1,” Sanders said. “He is still the No. 1. Yeah, he is not as fluid in his backpedal as I would like, but the guy is good. I can work with that.

I don't doubt he can make it as CB in this league I just think he may be bit big and end up like Cromartie type player

I like Dareus as well, but after that performance and hearing what the scouts were talking about, he's going to go higher.

Couple that with the fact that Bowers knee hasn't healed as quickly as it should and you could very well have a top 2 of Dareus and Quinn.

I still say our #4 is AJ Green with little thought unless they trade down. Even then a WR would still be targeted.

You need not look any further than the current contracts of our wideouts.

Didn't JT say that all assistants would be back in 2011?

He said if anyone was on his way out it FitzgerAld yet here he is still coaching.

Thus, the added FWIW. That said, while I may be a dedicated AJ Green pimp I was pleased to see the rumor about Julio Jones that is based upon trading down and thought the blurb deserved a mention.

Why would this team NOT draft a DT and instead draft a WR?

There are probably a thousand possible answers to the above, but these are the first four that came to mind.

1 - The WR in question may actually be ranked higher on the teams board.

2 - The contract status of other players already on the roster at both positions.

3 - The teams desire and need to rid itself of the Chad Ochocinco carcinoma.

4 - The draft still has six other rounds.

Actually, Hair, I don't know if you saw it but Dareus did an interview on NFLN after his drills. Apparently, he suffered a pretty severe high-ankle sprain in the Arkansas game....

Good story, and no, I hadven't seen the interview yet. In fact, I've only seen about half of the DL/LB group and probably a comparable amount of the DB group. I've got everything recorded though and I'll work through the rest over the next couple of days. That said, of the prospects said to be in play at #4 it was Darius who suprised me the most. He simply isn't what I thought he was.

Honestly, after watching the combine and my memory of Dareus from the year before... I'm thinking he might be my #1.

I can't bring myself close to that. At best I'm now willing to include Darius in the spirited conversation regarding the #4 overall pick currently taking place within my own head.

FWIW Mel Kiper just released his first post combine "Big Board" and it pretty much mirrors my own; Patrick Peterson 1, Nick Fairly 2, DaQuan Bowers 3, Marcel Darius 4, Von Miller 5.

Now I am not a big helmet hair fan but you will notice no Newton and no AJ Green in the top 5.

Tell me, Hair. What part of his game do you think Green is an elite WR prospect. I cannot find anything. He does not have elite speed, does not have elite explosion, does not come off the ball with exceptional burst, runs good but not great route running skills, and has questionable hands particularly over the middle. He does not play special teams and he is not a threat running the ball.

Yup I'd much Rather have Green & QB (cough Kaepnick in the 2nd) Then Newton + W R in the 2nd.

Now I am not a big helmet hair fan but

I am,Mayock is the one talking head I enjoy when it comes to draft he seems quite knowledgeable and could have a job in the NFL if he choose to. Where Kiper & McShay will never have that chance.

Now I am not a big helmet hair fan but you will notice no Newton and no AJ Green in the top 5.

Hardly suprising. At best Cam Newton is a fringe option for consideration within the Top5 and is only listed due to the position he plays. Conversely, AJ Green consistently shows up within the top 5 of prospect rankings, but is often downgraded due to the position he plays.

Tell me, Hair. What part of his game do you think Green is an elite WR prospect. I cannot find anything. He does not have elite speed, does not have elite explosion, does not come off the ball with exceptional burst, runs good but not great route running skills, and has questionable hands particularly over the middle. He does not play special teams and he is not a threat running the ball.

How about overall?

FWIW, I think you're slighting Green's hands, considered amongst the best anywhere, and his explosiveness too. In fact, he scores far more often than Julio Jones, and as further proof of his impact Georgia's yards passing per game improved by nearly 70 yards per game after Green returned from his suspension.

But mostly it comes down to the things Charlie Casserly mentioned when comparing Green to Jones. Nutshelled, Green's route running and technique are so superior to that of Jones that Green simply can't be jammed at the LOS as easily as the faster and more explosive Jones. The result, according to Casserly, is that Green gives you a wideout capable of dominating outside of the numbers....and both sidelines. In short, he's capable of providing what Chad used to without the headaches.

What part of his game do you think Green is an elite WR prospect. I cannot find anything. He does not have elite speed, does not have elite explosion, does not come off the ball with exceptional burst, runs good but not great route running skills, and has questionable hands particularly over the middle. He does not play special teams and he is not a threat running the ball.

You're literally the only person I can find who thinks the things you just wrote.

/>http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/11/16/1817755/a-j-green-scouting-report

/>http://www.newerascouting.com/2011/01/a-j-green-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

/>http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2743

That's the first time i've seen anyone that thinks AJ Green isn't in the top 5.

Hell, many think he's the best prospect in the draft OVERALL.

As far as hands are concerned, Julio Jones is the one that has the drops issue not Green.

When you look at the fact the combine showed Bowers knee not healing at an acceptable rate, he may slide as well.

I think Fairley, Peterson and Green are the only true locks to be in the top 5.

I actually am in full mode of Green at #4, but to be honest, I'm now in the line of thought where it wouldn't surprise me to see the Browns jump us to trade out with the Bills to get him. I think knocking Green is something Bengal fans are doing simply because they don't want us to draft him, not because he isn't the player that's advertised. The combine doesn't make a player.

Speaking of that, this has been the first time I have recorded and spent a fair amount of time watching. You really can see much more watching them go through the drills than what you see while playing the game. It's pretty fun and is driving my wife crazy that I sit and watch all the little drills, as she calls them.

Hardly suprising. At best Cam Newton is a fringe option for consideration within the Top5 and is only listed due to the position he plays. Conversely, AJ Green consistently shows up within the top 5 of prospect rankings, but is often downgraded due to the position he plays.

How about overall?

FWIW, I think you're slighting Green's hands, considered amongst the best anywhere, and his explosiveness too. In fact, he scores far more often than Julio Jones, and as further proof of his impact Georgia's yards passing per game improved by nearly 70 yards per game after Green returned from his suspension.

But mostly it comes down to the things Charlie Casserly mentioned when comparing Green to Jones. Nutshelled, Green's route running and technique are so superior to that of Jones that Green simply can't be jammed at the LOS as easily as the faster and more explosive Jones. The result, according to Casserly, is that Green gives you a wideout capable of dominating outside of the numbers....and both sidelines. In short, he's capable of providing what Chad used to without the headaches.

Regarding Green, this is a very deep draft for WR's. I think the guy from Pitt would be very good in a WCO system, and after r3, there are many later round guys with size and speed who could be there. Not many will complain about taking Green, though this means passing up on maybe the most impactful player this year, Peterson.

I am far more concerned with QB, RB and the defensive backfield.

I think either Kaepernick or Locker is the way to go for a QB. After really looking at it, there is no way they should take Cam at 4, not when Kaep or Locker are there in r2/3. Even Tyrod could be there in r5+, and he is very accurate and can run.

I think they need to consider taking Peterson instead of Green. JJoe could be gone, which means our other starting CB will be Jones or Trent. Is there a reason they won't tag JJoe? Give him some big cake and see if he can stay healthy. I think that would be money well spent. There is quite a deep field of CB's this year, so depth from UDFA wont be an issue.

The Oline also needs to be addressed. I like Brandon Fuscom the div 2 player. He moved well at the combine and jumped up the board. He might be gone by r5, so have to grab him. I like the RT/RG Brewer from Indiana. He did well at the combine and moved up out of obscurity.

Not so impressed with the safety options. Maybe some of the Pro Days will reveal some football players. Ahmad Black was smaller and slower than how he played, so that was a surprise. Can't see him an NFL starter at 5'9" and 185 running a 4.75... Heck, I'm 6'1 185 and can run 4.8. Can I get a job? given this year I will be 40, doubt it.

I am also unimpressed with the TE's this year. There are some blockers out there but thats it.

Free agents:

The packers dumped Hawk and Donald Lee. Grab them both. Hawk was overdrafted but he would be a kick in the pants for this D. Lee was productive and maybe he and Chase can bolster Gresham.

There are some QB to look at, Alex Smith pops to mind. I am convinced he could walk in and learn this system and be as good a Carson, which perhaps is not saying much, but the guy is young and will sign a modest deal. A guy like Seneca Wallace could be decent while Kaepernick learns.

For me, this is the most up in the air, awkward off seasons in a decade: Labor unrest, bulls**t draft class, Palmer augering the team, and a bunch of dead wood that needs to get dumped from the roster (Dhani, Geathers, Fat Bobbie, Kelly, and probably some other I am forgetting.)

I still think Locker is gone in the first. Either someone takes him outright or a team trades back up into the 1st, like with Tebow.

I don't want Kaepernick either. Not that I don't like him, but why bother ?? They already have LeFevour who is also suited for the WCO.

After you get by the 2nd round, I'm not a real fan of the other WR's. When looking at the contracts of who we currently have, the only one signed on after the 2011 season is Shipley. They have to address it sooner rather than later. I'm ok with not taking Green, but I really like him and wouldn't be upset by the pick. I still like the size of Baldwin later, but don't pass up Green in the hopes of targeting what is now a lesser player.

RB becomes a larger need if Benson doesn't return, but don't think it's a MUST HAVE early on. Problem is, it's not a great RB class.

While I won't outright hate a Peterson pick at #4. I simply don't get it when they could have tagged JJoe. The time has passed to tag him, so he's open to the market. The tender won't mean sh*t once the new CBA gets done. They should have just tagged him and not doing so was stupid. It pushes their hand in the draft. Peterson said he's open to a move to safety if it helps a team, but clearly sees himself as a CB going forward. We need a safety FAR more than a shiny new 1st round CB.

The safety that I really liked in the combine was McDaniel out of Clemson.

Regarding Green, this is a very deep draft for WR's.

For months now I've listened as Bengal fans downgrade the idea of drafting AJ Green by using the depth available at WR against him. As if Green shouldn't be considered simply because the Bengals can draft a lesser but comparable option latter in the draft...thereby allowing the Bengals to draft a prospect at #4 who plays another position. But with very few exceptions all of the prospects in serious consideration at #4 play positions that are deeply stocked in this years draft. In fact, it's been called the deepest draft for defensive lineman in at least 20 years, and one of the deepest drafts for CB's in recent memory. So yeah, you can pass on AJ Green in favor of prospects who play other positions, but the same thing is probably true in regards to whatever player you'd like to pimp.

I think they need to consider taking Peterson instead of Green.

Absolutely, if he's available. But by the same token they need to consider selecting Green if Peterson is either off the board OR ranked lower. And there's the rub because in most individual player rankings the top three prospects are Peterson, Bowers, and Green. Yet despite that lofty ranking an amazing number of Bengal fans have convinced themselves that Green isn't needed or wanted even if the other highly ranked options aren't available.

Not so impressed with the safety options. Maybe some of the Pro Days will reveal some football players. Ahmad Black was smaller and slower than how he played, so that was a surprise. Can't see him an NFL starter at 5'9" and 185 running a 4.75...

Well, my boy Quinton Carter ran faster than expected....thereby answering questions about his speed, but IMHO he looked choppy and awkward in the transition drills. So I'm crossing my fingers and toes hoping he's still available at the top of the 3rd round. If not, maybe Jaiquawn Jarrett?

I think either Kaepernick or Locker is the way to go for a QB. After really looking at it, there is no way they should take Cam at 4, not when Kaep or Locker are there in r2/3.

Agreed. In fact, if it were up to me I'd lean towards passing on the QB position until the 3rd round. FWIW Kaepernick looks scary raw and normally I wouldn't give him a second glance, but the truth of the matter is he's hard to take your eyes off of.

I don't want Kaepernick either. Not that I don't like him, but why bother ?? They already have LeFevour who is also suited for the WCO.

Why take Nick Fairly when we have Tank Johnson? Upside :P Kaepernick has same drawbacks of other QB's coming from a spread offense.

C'mon Kaz.

You can't expect me to believe that can you ??

You are talking about a player still thought to be the best DT in the draft and how he would be considered with Tank freakin' Johnson ??

Fairley would almost push Tank off this team if drafted.

On the other hand you have Kaepernick, thought to be a raw, 3rd or 4th round developmental QB and somehow he is suppose to be good enough to start before LeFevour ?? While that may be the case at some point, I find it hard to believe it's accurate right now. Kaepernick wasn't in the top 20 of QB's last year in percentage, yards thrown for, or TD's. He hasn't been an accurate passer for the majority of his career either. Conversely, neither has the other favorite in Ponder.

My point still stands in why not LeFevour ?? He was in the top 10 in most passing categories and not lower than 13.

Some of the players he outperformed in college have gotten chances and I hate writing him off.

Again, I don't hate Kaepernick and if Carson was coming back, he would be VERY intriguing, but not so much right at this time.

Two each their own though brother. Some people still like the Otis Hudson pick from last year....

I only saw Kaepernick play once... and that was in the win over Boise State.

While an impressive rally, I don't remember at any point thinking Kaepernick was the reason they came back, nearly as much as a complete and utter collapse of the Boise State rushing defense. (despite trailing by a great deal for the majority of the game, Nevada still managed more rushing yards than passing yards).

I realize it's a very small sample size and despite the fact that it's a great story... I'm unimpressed.

You are talking about a player still thought to be the best DT in the draft and how he would be considered with Tank freakin' Johnson ??

Fairley would almost push Tank off this team if drafted.

Okay my example was extreme :> but still stick by difference being upside :P,I know kaepernicks raw hence why I'd prefer us to bring in a veteran who can start well he develops,though that goes with what ever Quarterback we end up taking because their all rookies "shrug"...As for Lefevour doesn't even sound like he's being considered a option since when they talk about Carson replacement its from outside the Organization

I know kaepernicks raw hence why I'd prefer us to bring in a veteran who can start well he develops...

There it is. Get a veteran/journeyman to start immediately and draft a mid-round rookie with upside and the tools to eventually start. Neither move would be enough to prevent Palmer from returning if he's willing, nor would it paint the Bengals into a corner if he decides to report simply as a way of forcing the issue. Meanwhile, use the drafts first two or three picks to actually build a team around the QB position instead of overdrafting for need. Buy time.

As for Lefevour doesn't even sound like he's being considered a option since when they talk about Carson replacement its from outside the Organization

Nobody is going to talk about him now because the focus is on adding talent by any means still available. He'll get a look.