Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

Here's King:

I'm told the Bengals, who have the fourth pick and are considering a receiver, have Jones ahead of Green on their preliminary draft board. Coach Marvin Lewis wouldn't go that far this morning at the annual NFL meetings, but there's no question he's studying each guy. "That's the fun of the draft,'' Lewis said. "Sometimes we as teams all look at things slightly differently. But they're both going to be outstanding players. They're big, they play the game physically, they run well.

"A.J. has demonstrated acrobatic catching ability. They both have a big catching radius. Julio has been a tenacious blocker. The question is, what do you value most?''

The Panthers, picking number one, reportedly have Green in their list of "six or seven'' players they're considering at the top of the draft. I'd be stunned in Carolina does anything but pick a defensive lineman, quarterback or trades the pick. John Elway has said the Broncos are considering a quarterback at number two, but that would be a shocker. Buffalo is not taking a receiver at number three; the Bills will go quarterback or defensive front-seven player. That brings us to the fourth pick.

"My boss loves offense,'' Lewis said Tuesday morning.

He's referring to the owner and GM of the Bengals, Mike Brown. The Bengals will be the first serious candidate to choose a wideout. Here's where it gets interesting. I'm told Cincinnati has gotten poor reviews of Green as a practice player and willing blocker. The Bengals new offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden, will demand his receivers block downfield. They have no trepidation about Jones on either score.

That's why I believe there's a better chance now, five weeks before the draft, that Jones will get picked before Green -- if Cincinnati is doing the receiver-picking at number four in the first round.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time Peter King wrote something about the Bengals that contained even a crumb of fact?

Seriously, the last thing I remember King writing about the Bengals that got my attention was his claim that the Bengals would approach Palmer after the 2010 season and demand he accept a pay cut or face being released.

Suffice to say he doesn't seem to have his finger on the pulse of the organization.

Here's King:

I'm told the Bengals, who have the fourth pick and are considering a receiver, have Jones ahead of Green on their preliminary draft board. Coach Marvin Lewis wouldn't go that far this morning at the annual NFL meetings, but there's no question he's studying each guy. "That's the fun of the draft,'' Lewis said. "Sometimes we as teams all look at things slightly differently. But they're both going to be outstanding players. They're big, they play the game physically, they run well.

"A.J. has demonstrated acrobatic catching ability. They both have a big catching radius. Julio has been a tenacious blocker. The question is, what do you value most?''

The Panthers, picking number one, reportedly have Green in their list of "six or seven'' players they're considering at the top of the draft. I'd be stunned in Carolina does anything but pick a defensive lineman, quarterback or trades the pick. John Elway has said the Broncos are considering a quarterback at number two, but that would be a shocker. Buffalo is not taking a receiver at number three; the Bills will go quarterback or defensive front-seven player. That brings us to the fourth pick.

He's referring to the owner and GM of the Bengals, Mike Brown. The Bengals will be the first serious candidate to choose a wideout. Here's where it gets interesting. I'm told Cincinnati has gotten poor reviews of Green as a practice player and willing blocker. The Bengals new offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden, will demand his receivers block downfield. They have no trepidation about Jones on either score.

That's why I believe there's a better chance now, five weeks before the draft, that Jones will get picked before Green -- if Cincinnati is doing the receiver-picking at number four in the first round.

Praise Allah. At least there's talk of the Bengals implementing a system this year. I highly doubt they'll take Jones at #4 but I do like what Marvin is saying.

Here's King:

Praise Allah. At least there's talk of the Bengals implementing a system this year. I highly doubt they'll take Jones at #4 but I do like what Marvin is saying.

Well Jones could be a option if they trade down,I think overall with our holes and what we are looking for just may be the best opition if we don't get a stud like Fairly or peterson.

When was the last time Peter King wrote something about the Bengals that contained even a crumb of fact?

Seriously, the last thing I remember King writing about the Bengals that got my attention was his claim that the Bengals would approach Palmer after the 2010 season and demand he accept a pay cut or face being released.

Suffice to say he doesn't seem to have his finger on the pulse of the organization.

He's had a hard-on for this team since he was here many years ago. Some of it is deserved but some of it is just him.

When I watch him on TV, I often wonder if he doesn't say s**t just to stir it up or how much of what he says is actually based in fact. And there seems to be this underlying maliciousness when he delivers a line. Teaming him with Steeler blo-hard Florio on Sunday nights makes me wish I hadn't-seen-it TV rather than must -see TV. Those two guys could never give another scoop and I would be perfectly happy.

http://ugadogsblog.b...-and-other.html

AJ Green's Pro Day way yesterday.

The player a lot of scouts came to see was A.J. Green, and they did get to see him – but only through a computer, and only after a long set of deliberations.

...and the Cincinnati Bengals – who have the fourth pick – spent an awful amount of time sidling up and talking with Green.

Someone said or quoted someone as saying the Bengals might prefer Jones over Green due to his "blocking" ability.

My question is, if they are more concerned with blocking, aren't they kind of missing the point when it comes to drafting a WR ??

Sure it helps to have a willing blocker, but shouldn't they be looking at who the better natural "WR" is ??

I don't like the thought of Jones at #4 in ANY scenario.

I heard two "experts" are saying the Panthers are probably going to take Ponder with the first pick over Newton. Of course two days later I heard experts say they'd be shocked if the Panthers took any qb with the first pick, so who knows. A lot of spy vs. spy stuff going on right now. Like my boss likes offense.

I heard two "experts" are saying the Panthers are probably going to take Ponder with the first pick over Newton. Of course two days later I heard experts say they'd be shocked if the Panthers took any qb with the first pick, so who knows. A lot of spy vs. spy stuff going on right now. Like my boss likes offense.

Maybe I'm watching too much ESPN with Kiper, McShay and Co but I haven't heard anyone mention Ponder anywhere near the top of the first rd let alone #1 overall

I haven't either.

All I have seen are the experts that claim Ponder would be a very nice fit for what Gruden is trying to implement, but since the combine and his pro day, the Bengals may have to move into the bottom of the 1st to get him. While i'm not opposed to Ponder with our pick in the 2nd round, I'm not in favor of giving up picks to move UP in the attempts to grab any of these QB's.

If they want Ponder and he's not there, wait until your next pick and see who is.

If they don't like that guy, wait again...

Plenty of top 12 teams spending time with Cam Newton,But seems like Bengals are spending the most.

Cam Newton will have a busy month

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2011, 4:54 PM EDT

Cam Newton AP

Former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton remains one of the hottest names in the 2011 draft. But at a time when it’s becoming more widely believed that former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert will be the first quarterback — if not the first player — selected, what better way to build some buzz than to leak Newton’s dance card over the next month?

Regardless of who the source was, someone with access to Newton’s calendar has spilled the beans to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Here’s what the Heisman winner will be doing over the next several weeks, per Schefter.

On Sunday, Newton will work out for the Dolphins at Auburn. On Monday, he visits the Bills. On Wednesday, the Vikings will work him out at Auburn.

On Sunday, April 3, the Bengals will visit with Newton at Auburn and work him out on the next day. On Tuesday, April 5, Newton visits the Panthers. The next day, he visits the Titans.

He then visits Cincinnati on April 12. He then wraps up his pre-draft visits with trips to Cleveland on April 13, Washington on April 15, and Denver on April 18.

Thus, Newton will over the next few weeks visit with or be visited by every team with a pick in the top 12, except the Cardinals (No. 5), the 49ers (No. 7), the Cowboys (No. 9), and the Texans (No. 11).

So most teams only spending one day with Newton Bengals spending 2+ flying him up to cinci...

Exactly. And if you find yourself waiting until next year, well....that's okay too.

I am NOT joking.

If they don't like anyone in the 2nd I'd say start trading down / trading picks for ones in next years draft to increase your chances of getting Luck :P

All I have seen are the experts that claim Ponder would be a very nice fit for what Gruden is trying to implement, but since the combine and his pro day, the Bengals may have to move into the bottom of the 1st to get him. While i'm not opposed to Ponder with our pick in the 2nd round, I'm not in favor of giving up picks to move UP in the attempts to grab any of these QB's.

Heres hoping we can Move Carson for late 1st to spend on a QB,or get enough for Chad to trade up in bottom of 1st.

If they want Ponder and he's not there, wait until your next pick and see who is.

If they don't like that guy, wait again...

Exactly. And if you find yourself waiting until next year, well....that's okay too.

I am NOT joking.

Couldn't agree more.

Even McElroy would work in the WCO Gruden wants to implement and could be had in the 4th or 5th. Beats the hell out of Jordan.

I'm not in the camp of, "We have to draft a QB" this year.

Find someone, LeFevour, anyone and move on to next season where the QB class looks to be much better.

Oh yeah, I expect both Gabbert and Newton to be gone by #4, so I'm not concerned about his schedule.

Oh yeah, I expect both Gabbert and Newton to be gone by #4, so I'm not concerned about his schedule.

Well I predict Cam will be sitting there ripe for the picking when the #4 comes around. Whether Cincinnati pulls the trigger at the time has me wondering.

Ya I'm thinking so too,I think Panthers go with Gabber because they figure they can't be the worst team in the NFL again can they? so no luck next year.

Then Bills are suppossed be enomored with Cam Newton so I could see Wilson pulling the trigger...Leaving us with Fairly,Green or Peterson or maybe trade down :o

Plenty of top 12 teams spending time with Cam Newton,But seems like Bengals are spending the most.

Cam Newton will have a busy month

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2011, 4:54 PM EDT

Cam Newton AP

Former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton remains one of the hottest names in the 2011 draft. But at a time when it’s becoming more widely believed that former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert will be the first quarterback — if not the first player — selected, what better way to build some buzz than to leak Newton’s dance card over the next month?

Regardless of who the source was, someone with access to Newton’s calendar has spilled the beans to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Here’s what the Heisman winner will be doing over the next several weeks, per Schefter.

On Sunday, Newton will work out for the Dolphins at Auburn. On Monday, he visits the Bills. On Wednesday, the Vikings will work him out at Auburn.

On Sunday, April 3, the Bengals will visit with Newton at Auburn and work him out on the next day. On Tuesday, April 5, Newton visits the Panthers. The next day, he visits the Titans.

He then visits Cincinnati on April 12. He then wraps up his pre-draft visits with trips to Cleveland on April 13, Washington on April 15, and Denver on April 18.

Thus, Newton will over the next few weeks visit with or be visited by every team with a pick in the top 12, except the Cardinals (No. 5), the 49ers (No. 7), the Cowboys (No. 9), and the Texans (No. 11).

So most teams only spending one day with Newton Bengals spending 2+ flying him up to cinci...

I am NOT joking.

If they don't like anyone in the 2nd I'd say start trading down / trading picks for ones in next years draft to increase your chances of getting Luck :P

Heres hoping we can Move Carson for late 1st to spend on a QB,or get enough for Chad to trade up in bottom of 1st.

Let's hope to hell that Newton is off the board by the time the Bengals pick at 4 so Mikey's not tempted