Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

Count me on the cam newton bandwagon

Look we have to take a quarterback with this first pick. There is no quarentee that there will be a QB available in rd2. There is no guarantee that we will be in position for Luck next year. We need to pull the trigger on newton. Billy, you got company.

Welcome aboard Whur.

Why the impetus to get a QB this year? I

I just feel that Newton is the best all around QB in this years or next years draft.

If Cam is our guy I may just throw myself off a building.

I don't understand your hate for a Hiesman winner, but I do understand your feelings about a player you really don't care for being taken in the 1st round. I felt in spades in 2004 when Chris Perry was chosen. You KNOW that was a Mike Brown call there.

Cam Newton is a risk plain and simple.

The majority of draft picks come with risks. Back in 2003 I didn't see much risk of Palmer being a quitter, but it looks as though I was wrong.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, if Peterson is there take him.

Does Peterson's Wonderlich score have any impact on your desire?

The reason I'm asking is because I now find myself cooling a bit on AJ Green. Nutshelled, while I don't normally give much weight to Wonderlich scores I have to admit that one of the biggest factors behind my attraction was the idea of Green being capable of playing all three WR positions. I wanted that. More importantly, I think Jay Gruden wants that. He's stressed the need to look simple but play complex. The ability to line up basic and play multiple. Coupled with Simpson and Caldwell, each of whom can also play all three roles, Green would have provided the Bengals with a perfect compliment. But if Green can't actually play all three positions?

Moving on to Peterson, the poor Wonderlich score looks like a perfect explanation for the poor instincts Peterson sometimes shows when asked to play anything other than press coverage, and it casts serious doubts over his ability to switch to safety, an idea I admit I've never liked. But others do like the idea including those who worry that Peterson might outgrow the CB position.

Just saying.

Gotta have a QB to draft a guy like AJ Green. Palmer is out, trust me on that.

Cam is our guy... if available. If not, we go OL.

I hope the draft team is thinking smarter than you. Stick to the lines and make sure the running game is back to being physical. Find a QB that can game manage and a winning season is possible. Going with a hope and a prayer on Cam might work, but it might spiral the team into years of 2-3 win seasons. Fix the rest of the team than find a franchise QB.

There is not a single o-line prospect worthy a top 5 pick.

NOT ONE.

We're talking about the Bengals here and O-Line is our biggest need next to QB. We can trade down to get our prospect. Then again, we're talking about the Bengals here... Our first pick will be either QB, OL, or WR.

Count me on the cam newton bandwagon

Look we have to take a quarterback with this first pick. There is no quarentee that there will be a QB available in rd2. There is no guarantee that we will be in position for Luck next year. We need to pull the trigger on newton. Billy, you got company.

Welcome aboard Whur.

Why the impetus to get a QB this year? I

I just feel that Newton is the best all around QB in this years or next years draft.

Really? You feel like Cam Newton is a better prospect than Andrew Luck? On what basis? Luck plays in a pro style offense put up better numbers with a team with less talent.

If Cam is our guy I may just throw myself off a building.

I don't understand your hate for a Hiesman winner, but I do understand your feelings about a player you really don't care for being taken in the 1st round. I felt in spades in 2004 when Chris Perry was chosen. You KNOW that was a Mike Brown call there.

Cam Newton is a risk plain and simple.

The majority of draft picks come with risks. Back in 2003 I didn't see much risk of Palmer being a quitter, but it looks as though I was wrong.

There is not a single o-line prospect worthy a top 5 pick.

NOT ONE.

We're talking about the Bengals here and O-Line is our biggest need next to QB. We can trade down to get our prospect. Then again, we're talking about the Bengals here... Our first pick will be either QB, OL, or WR.

I think O-line is a big need as well, but think the Guard position is a greater need than Tackle.

That being my thought, I can't see them going Tackle in the first and a Guard shouldn't be taken that early.

There are a bunch of Guard prospects I would absolutely LOVE to see them snatch up in the top of the 3rd though.

Food for thought and I forgot myself, but if they don't draft a WR or two this season, the only WR under contract after this season is, Shipley.

WR is a pretty big need as well.

Personally, I'm huge on Kaepernick at the beginning of round 2 (that is, if he's still on the board). The more I read on him the more intrigued I am. He's has all the physical attributes, size, speed, arm strength, to be an NFL QB to go along with great intelligence (scored a 37 on the wonderlic) and excellent character. I think he could be a franchise player and the Bengals would be lucky to get him at the start of the second round.

Just watched this "vignette" on him at NFL.com

Kaepernick Vignette

Personally, I'm huge on Kaepernick at the beginning of round 2 (that is, if he's still on the board). The more I read on him the more intrigued I am. He's has all the physical attributes, size, speed, arm strength, to be an NFL QB to go along with great intelligence (scored a 37 on the wonderlic) and excellent character. I think he could be a franchise player and the Bengals would be lucky to get him at the start of the second round.

Kaepernick Vignette

Not a fan at all. I think he is the Charlie Batch of this years draft. It doesn't mean s**t what you score on the wonderlic anymore because these guys can study for the test which players weren't able to do back in the day. Pass on him.

I know Kaz is going to hate me.

Kaepernick Vignette

Not a fan at all. I think he is the Charlie Batch of this years draft. It doesn't mean s**t what you score on the wonderlic anymore because these guys can study for the test which players weren't able to do back in the day. Pass on him.

If it is as simple as studying for the test why are the other quarterback prospects (and other players in general) not scoring nearly as high (cam newton = 21, jake locker = 20, props to Gabbert's 42)? While I don't think wonderlic score translates perfectly to NFL success, it should show that he has the mental capacity to effectively play QB in the NFL. Just for reference: Aaron Rodgers = 35, Tom Brady = 33, Matt Ryan = 32, Payton Manning = 28, Drew Brees = 28 as opposed to Vince Young = 15, Jason Campbell = 23, Chad Henne = 22. Just saying... you tell me which group you would rather pick from? Also, I don't see the Charlie Batch comparison at all. He's a far better athlete than Batch ever was, cannon arm, 4.4 40-yard dash, and he's 6'6" not 6'2" (although I do think height is highly overrated). Seriously, this guy is a stud, never had passer rating below 132 any season of his entire college career.

I'm not the only one who thinks this guy will be huge one day:

Kaepernick

I am also a fan on Kaepernick as a rd.2 guy, I like Andy Dalton as well for the new offense we will play and I have growing to like Ponder though he was never a dominant player in college.

This is not a one year process to turn this team around.

My vote would be:

Peterson or Miller or Fairley in rd. 1

Jon Baldwin in Rd. 2

Kolin Kaepernick with the pick we get for Palmer

John Moffit in Rd. 3

Rodney Hudson for the pick we get for Ochocinco

Owen Marecic in Rd. 4

Alex Hennery in Rd. 5

Sione Fua in Rd. 6

DeAndre Brown in Rd. 7a

Thomas Claiborne in Rd. 7b

Yes you can trade players with the Lockout by trading the pick for "future considerations"

Kaepernick Vignette

As I recall Akili Smith bombed his first Wonderlic test and after coaching from Steinberg improved it immensely:

Maybe the most well-known Wonderlic story surrounds NFL-bust Akili Smith. When the Oregon QB took the test in 1998, he scored an embarrassingly low "12." Smith, according to agent Leigh Steinberg, spent the next year preparing for the NFL Combine both on the field and off it. Using a tutor, Smith reportedly raised his Wonderlic score 25 points over the course of the next 12 months. In 1999's combine, he put up a 37, solidified himself as a first-round pick and left the tongues of NFL scouts wagging. The Bengals bit, took him with the third pick overall, and the rest is history. Smith's career numbers? Twenty-two career games, 52.8 career QB rating, five TD's and 13 INT's

/>http://forums.chargers.com/archive/index.php/t-29710.html

Kaepernick does nothing for me until the 3rd round at the earliest. He's raw and will take more time than the Bengals have to wait.

I actually like him and would love him if Palmer was coming back and he could carry a clip board. Not knowing what we are going to have at the QB spot, I think he presents to much of a risk for teams with an immediate need to pull the trigger.

I do like him though.

On a side note, is everyone sold on the fact Luck is simply going to be the best QB in the draft next year ??

I'm left to wonder if he didn't make the same mistake Locker did in going back ??

Had Locker came out last season, he was widely considered the first pick of the draft. He went back and had a lackluster season and is now considered as possibly falling into the 2nd round. I say this because I think next season will have a few more QB's that I would consider 1st rounders and Luck may not be "the man".

Kaepernick does nothing for me until the 3rd round at the earliest. He's raw and will take more time than the Bengals have to wait.

I like him too, but yeah.....you do have to wonder if he's too raw to even fill the primary backup QB position immediately. Most QB prosdpects in this draft are widely believed to be at least a year away from playing, Cam Newton included, and even longer for others like Kaepernick.

That said, if you're confident you can sign a veteran QB to serve as a transition player for one or two years then a prospect like Kaepernick looks intriuging simply because he has all of the physical tools.

Kaepernick Vignette

Nah,To each their own though I like kaepernicks intangibles beyond wonderlic :P...

PS,Just say no to Mallett though.

On a side note, is everyone sold on the fact Luck is simply going to be the best QB in the draft next year ??

I'm left to wonder if he didn't make the same mistake Locker did in going back ??

Had Locker came out last season, he was widely considered the first pick of the draft. He went back and had a lackluster season and is now considered as possibly falling into the 2nd round. I say this because I think next season will have a few more QB's that I would consider 1st rounders and Luck may not be "the man".

Actually some teams rate him as low as a 4th rounder

According to NFL Network’s Mike Lombardi, Washington quarterback prospect Jake Locker has been getting fourth-round grades from some NFL teams.

Lombardi also reportedly stated that several teams still have Locker ranked among the top 10, but this news suggests there are severely mixed opinions on Locker’s ability to step in and perform right away at the next level. That line of thinking was reiterrated by Lombardi’s colleague and draft expert, Mike Mayock, who said through talking to scouts and NFL coaches, that Locker appears to be a project

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Jake_Locker/1538177/jake-locker-getting-a-fourth-round-grade-from-nfl-teams#ixzz1ICOjDV7n

He went back and had a lackluster season and is now considered as possibly falling into the 2nd round. I say this because I think next season will have a few more QB's that I would consider 1st rounders and Luck may not be "the man".

I think the rant about Locker being once considered that highly has been exposed as something that could only be said prior to Locker being evaluated. Once the NFL types put Locker under the microscope his game was bound to be exposed. Worse, Locker hasn't done himself any favors during the runup to the draft, including scripting a proday that was instantly blasted as being far too easy and more worthy of a high school QB.

I'll buy that in regards to Locker, but I'm still left to wonder if Luck will in fact be the top QB when the season is said and done.

I'm not denying what he did last season, but wow he must have not wanted to play for Carolina, because he was a LOCK for the #1 spot.

Yeah I'd love to know the real story behind Luck as well. He dad must have some reason for it. (His dad was an NFL player, GM of an NFL Europe team, President of NFL Europe, oversaw the construction of Reliant Stadium and Minute Maid Park in Houston and now is AD at WVU. So he's connected)

He must have had some reason for waiting a year. Maybe he suspects there will be no NFL games this year?? I still believe he'll be the first pick next year.

Personally I'd like Dalton in the second round.. If he lasts that long. Some of the talking heads say he's moving up on a lot of boards.

I think the talk of some of these QB's moving up so dramatically is all part of the smoke and mirrors game team are playing.

What I do expect to see happening though is, if certain QB's are hanging around come the end of the first round, some team will make the jump from the beginning of the 2nd to grab them. Ponder, Mallett, and Locker could see some of the QB needy teams make that move if one of either Newton or Gabbert don't get to them.

I'm still really hoping for a Bengals trade down and am hoping I'm wrong in the thought of both Newton and Gabbert being gone before we pick at #4. If one of them are there, calls for a trade will come in droves. Another team that still strikes me to make a move up is Dallas. They are said to like Miller and Peterson. Someone will be there for the Bengals to make the move down the board.

That is the only way I like and would support picking Julio Jones.

Kiper and McShay had the Bengals selecting Georgia WR A.J. Green in the first and TCU QB Andy Dalton in the second. In the third round they both had the Bengals taking a running back but Kiper had Virginia Tech’s Ryan Williams and McShay selected Oklahoma State’s Kendall Hunter.

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/04/06/the-latest-from-kiper-and-mcshay/

I would be pleased if it works out this way.

I don't think Ryan Williams will be there in the 3rd and Hunter is no better than Scott as a change of pace back.

We need insurance for Benson if he were to leave. I still think he will be back and they look at RB later.

Dalton ?? Jesus you have to love the hype machine when it gets going.

And talk about dives, I remember when Pat Devlin from Delaware was a "can't miss" and now they say he may go undrafted.

It's a risk all the way around.

I'll buy that in regards to Locker, but I'm still left to wonder if Luck will in fact be the top QB when the season is said and done.

I'm not denying what he did last season, but wow he must have not wanted to play for Carolina, because he was a LOCK for the #1 spot.

Yeah I'd love to know the real story behind Luck as well. He dad must have some reason for it. (His dad was an NFL player, GM of an NFL Europe team, President of NFL Europe, oversaw the construction of Reliant Stadium and Minute Maid Park in Houston and now is AD at WVU. So he's connected)

He must have had some reason for waiting a year. Maybe he suspects there will be no NFL games this year?? I still believe he'll be the first pick next year.

Personally I'd like Dalton in the second round.. If he lasts that long. Some of the talking heads say he's moving up on a lot of boards.

Luck has a high IQ and went back to get finish getting his degree.Simple as that.

And again, I hope his decision to go back to school doesn't hurt his stock heading into next season.

I was just thinking that Locker was a perfect example. When going back to think about it, had he come out and they put him under a microscope last season, the way they did this season, his body of work wouldn't have shown the flaws his last season did. Meaning, his tape would have been much better for the evaluators to consider. Now some are thinking he could fall to the 2nd round. THAT is what I'm talking about with Luck.

By the way, welcome to the Zone Stanley.

Is that your name or are you an Andrew Dice Clay fan ??

Anyway, welcome !!!

To start, being a Buckeye fan through and through, I want NOTHING to do with Pryor.

He is immature and makes bad decisions. He's a poor man's Cam Newton.

I think he has all the athletic ability in the world, but I couldn't see making that move.

My biggest thing is, he GAVE HIS WORD he would return to Ohio State after he served his suspension.

If he is now having second thoughts about what was a good decision, I take real issue with it.

Not that I care if he comes back to Ohio State or not, but I'm kind of big on the whole following through on your word.