Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

Here's another question that intrigues me...

If they don't go QB or WR with the 2nd round pick, who do you want there ??

Do you take a RB that falls ?? I don't like that idea.

What about a Guard or Tackle ??

D-line ??

DB ??

I know TJ wants a lineman, so we have that covered, BUT WHO ??

I don't think he will fall, but what if teams pass on Jimmy Smith and he falls ??

That would be a player I would love to see fall into the second.

For my money, I'd be curious who the top Guard available would be.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't go QB or WR with the 2nd round pick, who do you want there ??

The only way I'd wanna go another direction then QB with 2nd round pick is if the 5-6 are gone and Rahim Moore or Aaron WIlliams is available...

Safety is a huge need for us,I wonder if 49ers would trade Taylor May's to move up ^_^

Just ducking in to remind people I have put everyone under Blaine Gabbert watch. Namely, if we pick him, I go from being the board dick to being the board uber-dick, and will complain for years about it.

In regards to the draft, I'm looking forward to watching the Parcells special tonight on ESPN and then what Mayock has to say in his mock draft tomorrow. I have always liked Parcells and think his show tonight will be very interesting from the standpoint of the inner workings of an NFL team draft war room. Mayock may be off on some things, but overall I like listening to him ramble on. Casserly is another one I enjoy watching on NFL Network.

It also helps when you actually enjoy watching the draft.

I didn't like his comments the other day about him "not knowing if Newton wants to be a winner" and thinks he will be satisfied being a multimillionaire who is a "decent" QB. Really ?? Doesn't that seem kind of random ?? I wonder what he is basing that opinion on as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of us drafting Newton, but that comment seems kind of out in left field.

Just ducking in to remind people I have put everyone under Blaine Gabbert watch. Namely, if we pick him, I go from being the board dick to being the board uber-dick, and will complain for years about it.

Got another seat on that train? Gab is garbage. Mallet too. I don't want either of these bozo's.

Got another seat on that train? Gab is garbage. Mallet too. I don't want either of these bozo's.

Plenty of room. I plan to complain to levels that make kingwilly's bitching in the past seem restrained if its Gabbert at #4.

As for Mallet...eh. As long as they wait until the 2nd round, I won't probably bitch no matter who it is. I just don't want them to reach for Gabbert at 4. System quarterback who has to relearn the position for the pros? And with late and only moderate success at Missouri? No. thank. you.

Here is my anaylsis of this 2011 NFL Draft: It is going to be the worst in NFL History. We will see a high number of busts particularly on the offensive side of the ball. The only two offensive players rated for the first round who are sure things are Julio Jones and Rudolph. Everybody else doesnt deserve to be selected. They are average, or below average. I fear my friends that we will make the terrible mistake and select AJ Green, or Gabbert. AJ Green is Charles Rogers 2(watch the film,same player). When you say someone is the best of a particular something before they take a snap should be a red flag because those players fail. Blaine Gabbert is Rick Mirer 2.

If we are to have a successfull draft we must draft defense early because I believe this is the best defensive class ever. There is so much talent that is just ripe for the picking. And folks can we stop talking about trading down. It will not happen. It rarely happens. Teams arent stupid enoungh to do it. So lets just drop it now.

And one more thing, and pardon me if this seems a little off cue I am drinking a wonderful scotch Johhnie Walker Blue. Why do we continue to ignore this one little fact...Marvin Lewis has only drafted one Pro Bowler(Palmer) in his tenure. Folks that isnt bad, thats TERRIBLE! He has a piss poor eye for talent and even worse with an owner with no sense of any football knowlege. One Pro Bowler folks that should tell you know not to get to excited about the upcoming draft.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it, the biggest position of need for the Bengals is at QB. Carson's wife is now wearing the pants in his house. She told him to get your ass out of Cincinnati which Carson is doing, and I have no problem with. He's sucked for years anyway. I've haven't seen many men p***y whipped enough before he ever threw his man card in. Always a sad sight to see. You might as well lop off your junk, put on a skirt, and declare your manhood null and void.

As far as Jordan Palmer getting his shot as starting QB in Cincinnati, I find this almost orchestrated by Carson. I doubt it will work though.

Just make sure you get a really derogatory nickname for him, like, uh, you know - Two Carry Perry

And folks can we stop talking about trading down. It will not happen. It rarely happens. Teams arent stupid enoungh to do it. So lets just drop it now.

You don't know what you're talking about.

By my count... (and I may have missed a few) In the last 10 years there have been 7 teams trade into the top 5 (the most recent being NYJets getting Sanchez). On top of that, there have been an additional 9 teams trade into the top 10.

That's 16+ trades into the top 10 picks in 10 years.

In other words... It happens regularly.

And folks can we stop talking about trading down. It will not happen. It rarely happens. Teams arent stupid enoungh to do it. So lets just drop it now.

By my count... (and I may have missed a few) In the last 10 years there have been 5 teams trade into the top 5 (the most recent being NYJets getting Sanchez). On top of that, there have been an additional 7 teams trade into the top 10.

That's 12+ trades into the top 10 picks in 10 years.

And what is the success rate for those trading into the top 10?

Yes, and that is why it won't happen unless a team is run by a clown.

By my count... (and I may have missed a few) In the last 10 years there have been 5 teams trade into the top 5 (the most recent being NYJets getting Sanchez). On top of that, there have been an additional 7 teams trade into the top 10.

Actually, history has shown that trading up to get the player you want, rather than taking whoever falls to you yields a much higher success rate.

So, there you go. 0 for 2.

I think it's hard to look at the guys in this draft and say there are sure things either to succeed or bust.

Kyle Rudolph a sure thing ?? I wouldn't go that far, but think he will be a solid TE. Oddly, I don't think he's the best TE in this class.

Julio Jones ?? Well, broken foot aside, I again think he will be a solid WR, but not a sure thing. Demaryius Thomas vrs. 2.0 ??

I again don't think we will be able to trade down, but if you are going to believe what's being tossed around lately, it would appear those odds are increasing. Washington is rumored to covet Gabbert and wants to trade up. Atlanta is rumored to covet both Green and Jones and wants to trade up. Houston is rumored to covet someone I can't recall (Von Miller ?) and wants to trade up.

Again, it doesn't mean it will happen, but with each day getting closer to the draft and teams knowing they have to hit with thier first pick, moving up to try to increase your odds of that happening wouldn't be out of the rhelm of possibility either. I'll remain hopeful.

The rumor is that Houston wants Patrick Peterson, but like with all rumors the week before the draft the bullsh!t sensor is going off....

While I don't agree with Whur Chad At? I definately do like the defensive players in this draft better than the offensive players. I do not think A J Green will be a bust, I think he will be a good to very good NFL WR but I have doubts about his greatness, he is certainly not going to beat any NFL defenders athleticly, across the board he is the fourth or fifth best athlete amoung this WR class. My position with Green is just that I think it is just as likely that Julio Jones, Jon Baldwin, Torrey Smith, Tanden Doss, or Leonard Hankerson will be great and I do not see the need to pass up an elite defensive player when plenty of WRs will be available in the second or third rounds. (just like last year with Gresham, I made the same arguement last year, not knocking Gresham but pointing out that Aaron Hernandez could be had in the third round and he was going to be great too) Our history with first round WRs have not been great (at that our history with the first round hasn't been great, maybe it is time to give up this whole draft thing altogether...). Again, I am not saying Green is not a good player I would rank him second on a list of WRs (Jones would be my #1) but I would rank a WHOLE army of defensive players before I would rank any offensive players in this draft. You would have to get down to 10-12 before you would get to my first offensive player which would be Julio Jones, A J Green would be in my top 15 because I think his floor is higher than the rest.

As to need, this team needs talent period. What I saw last year was a total lack of team speed, a total lack of focus, and a total lack of discipline. In short, when we needed to make a play there was nobody there to make that play on offense or defense, if we have a chance to draft a sure-fire playmaker at any position we should. I want to draft guys who love to play football, guys like Casey Matthews, Von Miller, Owen Marecic. I want leaders on this team we haven't seen that in years, that is why I like Nick Fairley much better than most, because I see a guy who breahes fire, who has passion and intensity. I am sick of seeing guys sleep walking through games, and certainly some blame has to be sent to the coaches and a whole lot of blame has to sent to the owner.

Actually, history has shown that trading up to get the player you want, rather than taking whoever falls to you yields a much higher success rate.

So, there you go. 0 for 2.

Okay no facts to back up your argument. Your wrong history has proven that teams that trade up will fail. Maybe the exception being Sanchez but the jury is still out on him as well.

Do names likes Derrick Harvey, Jamaal Anderson, Troy Williamson, DeWayne Robertson, Johnathon Sullivan, Travis Taylor ring a bell?

Do names likes Derrick Harvey, Jamaal Anderson, Troy Williamson, DeWayne Robertson, Johnathon Sullivan, Travis Taylor ring a bell?

How about Eli Manning, Mike Vick, Mark Sanchez, and Jerod Mayo? Citing a few selective names doesn't win you an argument. It just means you are being selective about the information you bring to the table... and straw men make you look ignorant.

So... you want facts? How about this... The Cowboys traded Herschel Walker for a kings ransom in draft picks... but they used those draft picks to trade up and get the likes of Emmitt Smith and Russell Maryland.

The Patriots routinely trade players for loads of picks, and then using those picks to trade up and snag the players they want... like Brandon Merriweather and Jerod Mayo.

Are there examples where it doesn't work out? Of course there are. Players bust all the time. But, your comment that only a "clown" would trade up is silly... considering two of the teams that have done it most often created dynasties in the process.

As for your initial comments that we shouldn't disuss it because no trades will happen. Time will tell... but 2 days ago Adam Schefter named 6 teams that are attempting to trade up. Interestingly, one of the teams he named was Cincinnati. Either way, it's a topic worth discussing.

The Patriots run the draft the way it is supposed to be run. Know the draft board, know when people are going to go, identify your players, do not waiver on your players, if you can trade up to get a guy at the right price, do it, otherwise trade down and accumulate picks. The Patriots could trade up into the top 5 of this draft, how dangerous would it be to see Von Miller in a Patriot uniform?

How about Eli Manning, Mike Vick, Mark Sanchez, and Jerod Mayo? Citing a few selective names doesn't win you an argument. It just means you are being selective about the information you bring to the table... and straw men make you look ignorant.

So... you want facts? How about this... The Cowboys traded Herschel Walker for a kings ransom in draft picks... but they used those draft picks to trade up and get the likes of Emmitt Smith and Russell Maryland.

The Patriots routinely trade players for loads of picks, and then using those picks to trade up and snag the players they want... like Brandon Merriweather and Jerod Mayo.

Are there examples where it doesn't work out? Of course there are. Players bust all the time. But, your comment that only a "clown" would trade up is silly... considering two of the teams that have done it most often created dynasties in the process.

As for your initial comments that we shouldn't disuss it because no trades will happen. Time will tell... but 2 days ago Adam Schefter named 6 teams that are attempting to trade up. Interestingly, one of the teams he named was Cincinnati. Either way, it's a topic worth discussing.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't Jerry Rice and Tony Dorsett also players that teams traded UP to get in the draft ??

Either way around, there is reason to move in both directions on draft day and value vs. need HAS to be considered.

For what it's worth, the Bill Parcells Draft Confidential on ESPN yesterday was one of the most informative draft shows i've ever seen.

I don't think it's being reaired, but it might be found online. WELL worth the 1 1/2 hours of time.