Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one of those guys i would be happy with, im just not sold on Gabbert as a franchise QB. I think there best bet is to draft Green, and take a QB in the second if there is one there that will work with what the bengals will run this year. I think there will be a couple decent ones, Ponder, Kapernick somebody like this just might work.

I however do like the idea of really beefing up this defense, but the QB situation really scares me, unless they think Jordan Palmer (LOL) is the next QB. This year will be really interesting, cant wait

Idk who i want anymore,.. 5 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? You don't know? Did you know there is a tall white Arkansas QB with a drug history?

It's like I don't know you at all anymore.

Haha, good one. But mallet is slower than molasses in winter

Mallett is one of few picks I'd be unhappy to see,I'd prefer Locker,Ponder or Kaepernick in rnd 2 but I could live with someone like Dalton :o

Nick Fairley in a heartbeat. The dude is a BEAST!

Fairley hype has died down some it seems among talking heads...See him being projected 6-12 area now...but what do they know ^.^

So I was thinking about starting a new thread, but figured it might as well go in here because it would turn into the same conversation.

Given this situation, what would you do ??

The Bengals probably aren't going to be able to trade out of the #4 pick and with that in mind, which player makes the most sense to you ??

Blaine Gabbert, QB

AJ Green, WR

Nick Fairley, DT

Robert Quinn, DE

Patrick Peterson, CB

I listed those five because I feel they are probably the ones that will not only be there, but would make sense in some form or fashion.

With this being the case, who do you take ??

As already stated there doesn't seem much desire from any team to trade up allowing the Bengals to trade down. That and the fact that the Bengals historically don't trade very often would lead you to expect them to pick 4th as per schedule.

That being the scenario the above player options is pretty interesting.

Do they believe Jordan can fill the gap, do they think they can pick up a veteran QB for a season, If not then they are in serious need of a decent QB

With TO and Ocho out of town, and a commitment to a more aerial game they will need an outstanding wideout

The rest of the AFCN will continue with the running game so solidifying the D could be the way to divisional success.

With a new OC in the house and a change of system to WCO I would fully expect them to take offence with the first pick, maybe the first two.

I watched the "Camp Gruden" clips on ESPN last night with the QB's (Newton, Mallett, Dalton, Locker, and Gabbert).

I don't think Newton will be there for us and I still can't bring myself to care. He strikes me VERY much of Chad at QB. His answers came across as very cocky and arrogant at least to me. Locker still does nothing for me in any shape, form, or fashion. Gabbert was actually the surprise for me but I still don't want him at #4.

I have to admit that after watching all the episodes, both Dalton and Mallett seemed very cerebral with the understanding of the game and their approach to preparation. Whereas Newton couldn't recall a single play called at Auburn to give an example, both Dalton and Mallett had in depth answers and explanations that seemed to come effortlessly.

While I am fully aware this is but a small sampling, it really gave some insight to the players mental makeup.

Dalton stood out as a firey, competitive, perfectionist and I can see why people have moved him up the boards.

The whole time I was watching these episodes, I couldn't help but wonder how much the Gruden brothers have been discussing these guys.

I would be very curious to hear who Jon Gruden thinks would be the best fit for our Bengals.

So, just like the question at #4, if the Bengals are going to take a QB with their first pick in the second round, who do you want ??

With all of the different looks Dalton ran at TCU, I can understand why our coach Gruden would like what he sees.

If Mallett is there, I still think he's the pick.

If Mallett is the pick, I would love to see the team make a move in free agency with the interior of our o-line when the time comes.

Whatever QB is here, he's going to have a bunch of weapons if Green is the pick at #4.

I watched the "Camp Gruden" clips on ESPN last night with the QB's (Newton, Mallett, Dalton, Locker, and Gabbert).

I don't think Newton will be there for us and I still can't bring myself to care. He strikes me VERY much of Chad at QB. His answers came across as very cocky and arrogant at least to me. Locker still does nothing for me in any shape, form, or fashion. Gabbert was actually the surprise for me but I still don't want him at #4.

I have to admit that after watching all the episodes, both Dalton and Mallett seemed very cerebral with the understanding of the game and their approach to preparation. Whereas Newton couldn't recall a single play called at Auburn to give an example, both Dalton and Mallett had in depth answers and explanations that seemed to come effortlessly.

While I am fully aware this is but a small sampling, it really gave some insight to the players mental makeup.

Dalton stood out as a fiery, competitive, perfectionist and I can see why people have moved him up the boards.

The whole time I was watching these episodes, I couldn't help but wonder how much the Gruden brothers have been discussing these guys.

I would be very curious to hear who Jon Gruden thinks would be the best fit for our Bengals.

So, just like the question at #4, if the Bengals are going to take a QB with their first pick in the second round, who do you want ??

With all of the different looks Dalton ran at TCU, I can understand why our coach Gruden would like what he sees.

If Mallett is there, I still think he's the pick.

If Mallett is the pick, I would love to see the team make a move in free agency with the interior of our o-line when the time comes.

Whatever QB is here, he's going to have a bunch of weapons if Green is the pick at #4.

I watched some of that too. I thought that Newton (and Gruden) used the "not under center" card too often during that segment. Not a big fan (sorry Billy) but he really doesn't do much for me. He is a more svelte version of Vince Young and his lack of multiple seasons as starting QB concerns me. That being said, I can see our guys taking him if he is still available at No. 4. I liked Dalton and was lukewarm on Locker and did not see the segment on Mallett.

To me the wildcard in all of this is LeFevour. Does (our) Gruden or Marvin believe that he has any upside or capacity to start for the team with his limited experience? If so, I could see them passing over QB until later and focusing on getting a veteran QB when they are able. If not, I could see them pulling the trigger at #4 even if its a reach.

The Mallett segment I found to be impressive. I had forgotten that Lloyd Carr recruited him to Michigan and then he left when Rich Rod took over. Good call on that decision. Anyway, Jamie Dukes on NFL Network has been busting Mallett's balls about the way he answered the questions, but I didn't get the same impression he did.

Mallett simply responded to Gruden asking how he's going to deal with adversity and questions by saying, "I'm going to do what I do and play football". Dukes made it out to sound like Mallett was being "street caucasian" as he called it. Which is a bullsh*t statement by the way. I think Dukes got the whole segment wrong.

That being said, I like Mallett from a personal standpoint and can agree with the fact he has a cannon of an arm, but what I can't get by with him has nothing to do with the off field stuff. It's the fact he's not good under pressure and make poor decisions without a clean pocket in which to throw. When he has that though, WOW, what an arm.

I have this weird feeling that we are going to get thrown a curveball with that first pick. I'm not sure why but there just doesn't seem to be a clear-cut choice (other than AJ Green) from the talking heads, the local beat guys and all of us. It just seems so random. It's just really hard to get a bead on what they will ultimately do. I am sure a lot of it depends on what happens directly in front of us but will a trade or some other draft oddity in front of us, change our approach? Just don't know.

The thing that would shake us up the most is if the Panthers DON'T take Newton.

I don't see any trades happening up front for the same reason already mentioned about why we probably won't be able to trade down.

If the Panthers take Dareus or Green ahead of us, Newton goes to the Bills hands down.

If they take Dareus, I still think Green gets to us at #4, but don't know who the Broncos would take. Peterson ??

I'm still hoping a team really covets a player like Peterson that would enable a trade down, but I'm still thinking it's not likely.

The Bengals and other teams know they can't miss drafting this high, so I really don't expect to much craziness early on.

Newton

Dareus

Miller

Those 3 ahead of us still makes the most sense for all teams considered and leaves the Bengals as a pivot point with who we take at #4.

The Browns are hoping we take Gabbert so Green falls, while others want us to take Green so Gabbert falls.

How bad does a team want Peterson and do they think there's no need to trade with the Bengals as he would be there at #5 to make the trade ??

Gimme this guy at 4 if we fail to trade down (likely) and he lasts that long (unlikely)

/>http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Marcell-Dareus.php

Gimme Von Miller otherwise

Or Quinn as a distant third choice

Yeah, I'd rather have Miller than Quinn - factoring in Miller's leadership qualities here vs the silence we get from our current WLB. Give me a vocal and intelligent leader of the defense. Every. day.

I would absolutely LOVE if Dareus were to somehow fall to us, but agree that it's not happening.

Von Miller ?? I just don't see the point really. That's not to knock him, but the Bengals should bring back Brandon Johnson and have a LB corps consisting of Johnson and Rivers on the outside and Maualuga on the inside. It's just time. I'm just not sure what Miller is going to do with the same front 4 ahead of him that the other LB's have.

Quinn is my darkhorse pick and I would absolutely love to see him in stripes as i've made mention of many times.

I think pairing him with Dunlap on the other side would be beastly bookends. Then they could also look to have MJ in the OLB role as well.

Honestly, I'm not knocking almost anyone they take at #4 minus Gabbert.

Sure Fairley is falling, but I can't say as I would be pissed if he were selected either.

If nothing else, it's going to be interesting and I'm looking forward to see who falls to us at the top of the 2nd or if the team panics and gives up picks to move back up into the bottom of the 1st to grab a QB. I sure hope not.

I'm probably the only one here who would not be upset if they selected this fellow

/>http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Anthony-Castonzo.php

at 4.

Oh sure, yes, absolutely -- I'd rather trade down a handful or two of slots before selecting him. No doubt.

But no guff from me if he is the (unlikely) Bengal pick at 4

I would absolutely LOVE if Dareus were to somehow fall to us, but agree that it's not happening.

Von Miller ?? I just don't see the point really. That's not to knock him, but the Bengals should bring back Brandon Johnson and have a LB corps consisting of Johnson and Rivers on the outside and Maualuga on the inside. It's just time. I'm just not sure what Miller is going to do with the same front 4 ahead of him that the other LB's have.

Quinn is my darkhorse pick and I would absolutely love to see him in stripes as i've made mention of many times.

I think pairing him with Dunlap on the other side would be beastly bookends. Then they could also look to have MJ in the OLB role as well.

Honestly, I'm not knocking almost anyone they take at #4 minus Gabbert.

Sure Fairley is falling, but I can't say as I would be pissed if he were selected either.

If nothing else, it's going to be interesting and I'm looking forward to see who falls to us at the top of the 2nd or if the team panics and gives up picks to move back up into the bottom of the 1st to grab a QB. I sure hope not.

Really, rather have Brandon Johnson than Von Miller? He can play the elephant position, he can line up at DE ala Dwight Freeney, he is a smooth enough athlete to drop into coverage, he is a beast against the run and is a vocal leader that the defense NEEDS. 40 TFL in 2 years in the Big 12, 28 sacks in two years, if you watched the segment Gruden did with Gabbert, Blaine Gabbert started to draw up a defense based on Texas A&M and started by saying, "against Texas A&M we rolled our protection to cover Von Miller" and Gruden interrupted by saying "Don't do Texas A&M." That tells you everything about the impact this guy has on an offense. If he is not available then Peterson, if neither are available then Fairley the talent in this draft is Defense there are THREE guys in this draft who are immediate impact players, Miller, Peterson, and Fairley. If you look at the draft rankings it bears me out, and I will remind you that I started pimping Von Miller when he was projected a mid to late first round pick. Green is a good first round WR prospect as is Julio Jones neither are in the same league as Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson and as such not worth a top 5 selection.

Really, rather have Brandon Johnson than Von Miller?

Not entirely. I'd rather have Brandon Johnson starting rather than seeing him leave and forcing the Bengals to draft another LB this high.

I'd rather they draft a position of larger need and maintain what they have.

Sort of like not wanting Peterson because they are forced to select him because they let JJoe walk.

So I mean give me Brandon Johnson and AJ Green rather than Von Miller alone.

Give me JJoe and AJ Green rather than Patrick Peterson alone.

Really, rather have Brandon Johnson than Von Miller? He can play the elephant position, he can line up at DE ala Dwight Freeney, he is a smooth enough athlete to drop into coverage, he is a beast against the run and is a vocal leader that the defense NEEDS. 40 TFL in 2 years in the Big 12, 28 sacks in two years, if you watched the segment Gruden did with Gabbert, Blaine Gabbert started to draw up a defense based on Texas A&M and started by saying, "against Texas A&M we rolled our protection to cover Von Miller" and Gruden interrupted by saying "Don't do Texas A&M." That tells you everything about the impact this guy has on an offense. If he is not available then Peterson, if neither are available then Fairley the talent in this draft is Defense there are THREE guys in this draft who are immediate impact players, Miller, Peterson, and Fairley. If you look at the draft rankings it bears me out, and I will remind you that I started pimping Von Miller when he was projected a mid to late first round pick. Green is a good first round WR prospect as is Julio Jones neither are in the same league as Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson and as such not worth a top 5 selection.

Your reasoning is flawed...

Would you rather have Jerome Simpson over AJ Green? Would you rather have Jordan Palmer over Cam Newton?Would you rather have Tank Johnson over Nick Fairely?

The Difference is Brandon Johnson was our best linebacker for 2 years now,Seems like to me instead of trying find replacements for our good players (like Jjoe & Bjohnson) we'd be better off finding replacements for weakness's we had last year.

Exactly Kaz, you hit it on the head. Brandon Johnson has been our best LB the past couple seasons and isn't the one we should be looking to show the door to. However, that appears to be what they are doing in the fact he was an UFA before the CBA crap and should be given the chance to start.

I understand drafting the BPA and Von Miller is a playmaker, but again, I view him no differently than I do Peterson in regards to JJoe.

Why show one starter the door, only to have to replace him with a high pick and miss out on another starter at a position of need ??

Again, I'd rather have JJoe and AJ Green instead of letting JJoe walk and drafting Peterson.

Sounds like taking steps backwards.

Worst part is Brandon Johnson never got his time to shine full time, because of the other overrated LBs on this team. I like Rey, and Keith, but they under played this last year, and everytime Brandon gets the time to play, he looks great. Why not give him the chance, put your best players out there, and let them play....and Brandon Johnson was the best LB for the last 2 years

The only thing everyone fails to notice here is that Brandon Johnson is garbage against the run. He's not even great playing man on TE's during the passing game (although he's AMAZING in zone). He's not a SLB. Which is what we need. Desperately. Granted, he's the best pass defending LB on the team - and I could even say there's an argument that he should be replacing Rivers at this point - but the only real linebacker discussion to be having is about someone who can play SLB. Of course, this whole discussion also hinges on an assumption that Rey truly WILL excel at MLB, which, after watching him play (and his questionable read/react instincts, makes me question...)...

Problem is, all of the super promising SLB prospects in this class will be trying on those shoes for the first time, essentially.

I understand drafting the BPA and Von Miller is a playmaker, but again, I view him no differently than I do Peterson in regards to JJoe.

Why show one starter the door, only to have to replace him with a high pick and miss out on another starter at a position of need ??

I understand (and support) the logic, but I disagree with the suppositions

I view JJoe and LHall as valuable defenders, and so I do not want to replace them, so that part we agree on 100%.

On the other hand, I don't see our high draft pick linebackers as performing well, or even decently, ergo I want to upgrade that spot. I dont mind being rid of the near-invisible and silent Rivers if it means we get a top performer in at his spot

The value of Miller rises if you feel Rivers is a lost cause (as I do) or falls if you think he is coming into his own right now. I think he is a lost cause.

I get what you are saying TJ and can certainly understand that position.

I think this is yet another one of those situations where you have to look at what the coaches have said and what you believe they are looking at when reviewing the roster. Sure Rivers has underperformed for the spot we took him at, but I wouldn't say now is the time to replace him. He has actually improved his numbers (albeit little) each season and has been at least consistent in his play. I wouldn't call him a bust, but can agree he needs to do more.

I think Rey really needs to be moved to the middle and I think it can't be forgotten that Marvin and staff are really high on what Muckelroy brings to the table and his ability to play all 3 LB positions. IF, and I say IF, they truly think he will come into his own, they may think they have that extra piece that allows them to look at another position in THIS draft.

I don't think Rivers is done or going to be a pro bowler, but he's not the worst thing we could trot onto the field either and with the move of Rey and either Johnson getting his shot or Mulckelroy coming into his own, his play may also improve. Michael Johnson also can't be left out of this conversation should the Bengals decide to go DE early on in the draft.

My thought is two fold:

1. I don't think they view the position as dire enough to spend the #4 pick on a LB.

2. I don't think it's smart to give up what you have to solidify a position and draft it highly only to ignore another position of greater need.

I actually blame the front office for not handling this sooner at both positions. They had the opportunity to lock this sh*t up long before now and failed miserably to where they are now left to wonder how to approach it this season. Shame on them.

There was this from Reedy yesterday from Marvin and thoughts on a QB in the draft.

This is a small part, but the part I liked most. I like that everyone is involved with who the QB should or will be either early or later. I also like the part about wanting to get value for a guy in regards to where he's selected. I hope this means they won't go into panic mode with the selection. I also forgot the new WR coach (Urban) was the QB coach in Philly and is part of the group evaluating as well. Nice.

“We’ve evaluated quarterbacks but I don’t think we’re forced into any situation any way or another,” Lewis said. “I think we want to be very, very careful to make sure we make the picks that we make and we get the value for the picks where we’re making them and we feel real good about him in that particular slot.”

The evaluation process has been a team approach with Lewis, offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese and receivers coach James Urban (who was the quarterbacks coach at Philadelphia) all involved in the process.

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110425/SPT02/304250097/Marvin-Lewis-thinking-QB-later

I frequent many NFL teams forums, and there is not one where there is not discussion about trading down in this draft. I really don't see a window for any team to desire to trade up this year.

Yeah, I don't expect a team to trade up into the top 5 either...

But given most mock drafts I've seen, the Bengals have one of the more desireable picks to trade into.

The reason being, Gabbert is viewed by many teams as the 'safest' QB in the draft. Maybe he won't be elite, but he is the lowest risk with plenty of upside. And most mock drafts don't have him getting past Arizona at #5.

Then consider the rumor that Washington desperately wants to move into the top 5. I'm guessing it's because they believe Gabbert would be a very good fit for what Shanahan wants to do. And the #10 overall pick combined with the 9th pick in the 2nd round is near exact compensation for the #4 overall.

Also, given the Bengals apparent preference of J.Jones over A.J.Green, but desire to get value for their draft slot... the #10 pick makes loads of sense.

Again, there are a myriad of reasons this probably won't happen... but there's always a chance. And this year, the Bengals have a better chance than most.

Yeah, even though I don't expect it to happen (trade down) I remain hopeful for a couple of reasons.

Blaine Gabbert

Patrick Peterson

There are teams within the top 10 that covet these players but would be gone prior to them going on the clock.

Hopeful.

On the side, anyone see the report the Titans consider Dalton an "elite" prospect and would consider him at #8 ??

Talk about a reach and getting no value.

I keep going back and forth with the whole (WR/QB) (QB/WR) picks in round 1 and 2 if they go that way.

I'm curious if the Bengals are saying they will wait for a QB in the hopes no one trades ahead of them for Gabbert ??

Would it make more sense to take the most ready QB and wait for a second tier WR or vice versa ??

Say maybe Gabbert and Baldwin in the 2nd or Gabbert and Little in the 3rd ??

Crazy crazy crazy !!!