Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

Trade down

then an OL - can you say "gimme a lineman"?

then a two-way S or pass rushing DE (say it again!)

then the DE or S whichever got skipped prev pick

then a QB

then a WR

then mature/intelligent BPAs who are willing to play STs for the remainder of the picks, regardless of position

wouldn't mind best available PK with the extra r7 pick we got, give Nugent some competition.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I would love an impact Guard for our OL and/or a guy like Dareus at #4, but minus a trade down from 4 (which probably won't happen) or a trade up into the bottom of the first (which would be used on a QB), who exactly should the Bengals go after in their spots knowing most impact guys will probably be gone and the remaining guys won't present as much value as perhaps a skill player ??

I'm not being argumentative, because I'm on board with the thought, only trying to think like our organization who will probably be happy with where we are. I don't see an OT they will go after, most good Guards will be gone, and with the return of Odom (who I'm not thrilled with) they will probably take the wait and see approach.

It's the reason I see a heavy skill position draft in our future.

Minus a safety in the mid to late rounds.

Seriously, would it be so hard to envision the organization going WR, QB, RB with their first three picks ??

And what the Hell is up with everyone? Why is suddenly traffic slowed down. People this is the draft why is there only two or three posts a day? We need more discussion going on right now this is a Big time right now! It was never like this in years past.

A crap season from the locals.....no trades allowed...the Carson saga....the lockout....the same four of five guys recycling through the top 5 picks....

Anything else?

This.

Seriously, what more can be said that hasn't already been said? With no FA to kick around, no trades possible, etc., there isn't anything much to say.

My personal breaking point came a few days ago after seeing a turban wearing Charlie Casserly imitate Johnny Carson ala Carnack the Magnificent on NFL Total Access. Despite the bit being better than expected I slowly realized that I had glazed over in the manner of a doughnut.

Seriously, would it be so hard to envision the organization going WR, QB, RB with their first three picks ??

In the sense of 'what WILL they do' - yes

In the sense of 'what SHOULD they do' - no

Agreed...

Another thing is people not bashing each other on the site here for simply recognizing what the organization does year in and year out.

In other words, I think that could VERY well happen, but I'm hoping it doesn't.

It goes along with the whole concept of "EMBRACING THE SUCK" !!!

That should be Marvin's f*cking mantra t-shirt this season !!!

Army, GOOD NEWS! [/sarcasm]

Michael Lombardi of NFL.com reports that the Bengals want to pick a receiver in the first round, and then take a quarterback in the second. Lombardi goes on the write that it would not shock him that, even if Georgia wide receiver A.J. Green was off the board when Cincinnati was on the clock, the Bengals would stick with their plan and select Alabama's Julio Jones fourth overall. The Bengals designate specific positions for each round, and their first round is being used for a wide receiver.

Now, I have no problem with them drafting Green in the first and their favorite QB prospect in the second. However, strictly slotting each round with a position is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Sonofabitch.

Army, GOOD NEWS! [/sarcasm]

Michael Lombardi of NFL.com reports that the Bengals want to pick a receiver in the first round, and then take a quarterback in the second. Lombardi goes on the write that it would not shock him that, even if Georgia wide receiver A.J. Green was off the board when Cincinnati was on the clock, the Bengals would stick with their plan and select Alabama's Julio Jones fourth overall. The Bengals designate specific positions for each round, and their first round is being used for a wide receiver.

Now, I have no problem with them drafting Green in the first and their favorite QB prospect in the second. However, strictly slotting each round with a position is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Sonofabitch.

Translation: Bengals are not looking at receiver in round one. They are obviously targeting Gabbert... :unsure:

Yeah, I don't think you can put much stock in ANYTHING that comes out this close to the draft. It's hard to tell how much is fact or smokescreen. Teams often put out bad information in the hopes of a player dropping or heap praise in the hopes another team moves up and selects them causing the player they truly want to fall.

I F*CKING HATE GABBERT AT #4 !!!

Lombardi is full of sh*t in regards to the Bengals slotting in each round as well.

He's just talking out of his ass and if he really believes that, he's stupid as well.

/>http://t.co/lnoAiFy

I predict Mallett will be the Bengals 2nd round pick.

It seemed like he may have worked his way back into the middle of the 1st round... but this kind of stuff so close to the draft will make GMs not named MB think twice.

I think Mallet might well become a very good NFL quarterback - with his SECOND organization

I liken this to what happened with Cedric in Chicago - he got serious only after burning every bridge in Chicago and having to luck into a chance elsewhere

I think you wait for the same thing to happen to Mallet before you offer him a Bengals contract

Let him go through a humbling, get-your-act-together-before-its-too-late experience first

He may still be another Ryan Leaf, who never "got it", but for now, I will call him another Cedric. He simply isn't mature enough right now to be a successful Bengal

Another thing is people not bashing each other on the site here for simply recognizing what the organization does year in and year out

Clarification - was not bashing you, was bashing the Bengals

Never thought you were.

I simply find it amusing that people think they know what's going to happen because of what "THEY" think.

Example:

I think Odom is finished or at best, a rotational guy, who we have yet to see without the benefit of steroids.

Geathers has been solidly unspectacular in any capacity and could easily be replaced by a true elite pass rusher in the draft.

Robert Quinn is EXACTLY the kind of impact player at the position that could affect the entire defense and assist the secondary with pressure.

All of the above example is my serious thought process of those mentioned.

And with all of that, the Bengals are going to draft AJ Green.

I've resigned myself to it and actually have come to understand and support it.

Why ?? Because what I think of those players doesn't necessarily mean the coaches feel the same.

Knowing that Marvin has verbally acknowledged that stance gives further opinion to what will happen.

I don't believe it's a smokescreen, I think he truly likes both Odom and Geathers.

I'm in the line of thought that says Mallett doesn't make it out of the first.

If even a single QB needy team feels the same way many analysts do about his big time arm, potential, and willingness to take a chance on the kid, he won't be there for us when we pick at the top of the 2nd. I can't say as I care if that happens. I would rather some other team take the chance on him.

Count Boomer and Collinsworth as guys who agree with Hobson that Gabbert is the Bengals guy. In fact Boomer's even dissing his old team a bit in this article. What did the Bengals ever do to him?

/>http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-21/boomer-esiason-warns-blaine-gabbert-about-perils-of-bengals-organization

That's just funny.

I simply don't see what the infatuation with Gabbert is.

When looking at his stats for last season, he doesn't finish in the top 20 QB's in Completion Percentage, Passing Yards, TD's, or QB Rating.

Missouri finished 35th in total offense last season and outside of beating Oklahoma last year, they looked very blah in the grand scheme.

You know who did well in most passing categories and ran the 11th best offense in the country ??

Ryan Mallett.

I'm not advocating Mallett, just giving further reason why I feel he won't be there come the second round.

I think it's also the reason the Bengals are doing their last minute homework on guys like Ponder and Dalton, who they feel could be there when they pick in the 2nd round. I'm just of the mindset that the Bengals are going to use that 2nd round pick on a QB without much thought and should (it won't happen) Mallett fall that far, he will be the pick.

I'm not a fan of Gabbert or any other QB with the 4th pick... but I'm becoming less and less a fan of a 2nd round QB.

Peter King reports that Jay Gruden is in love with Andy Dalton. My concern there is this: Who is the last successful QB that was drafted in the 2nd round? Drew Brees?

Kevin Kolb isn't a disaster because they will likely get a good draft pick for him... but the rest are guys like Charlie Frye, Tavaris Jackson, Kellen Clemens, and Pat White.

My money says this year will be no different. There are a ton of QB needy teams. If there is a QB available in the 2nd round, it will mean he isn't a 1st round talent.

I don't like the QBs in this draft at all... but if (and that's a big 'if') the coaching staff believes there to be a franchise QB at #4... they have to take him, don't they?

And before I get lynched... the bust rate for 1st round QBs is 53%... and the bust rate for 1st round WRs is 45%. Sadly, neither of the Bengals biggest needs are terribly safe picks.

I'm not a fan of Gabbert or any other QB with the 4th pick... but I'm becoming less and less a fan of a 2nd round QB.

Peter King reports that Jay Gruden is in love with Andy Dalton. My concern there is this: Who is the last successful QB that was drafted in the 2nd round? Drew Brees?

Kevin Kolb isn't a disaster because they will likely get a good draft pick for him... but the rest are guys like Charlie Frye, Tavaris Jackson, Kellen Clemens, and Pat White.

My money says this year will be no different. There are a ton of QB needy teams. If there is a QB available in the 2nd round, it will mean he isn't a 1st round talent.

I don't like the QBs in this draft at all... but if (and that's a big 'if') the coaching staff believes there to be a franchise QB at #4... they have to take him, don't they?

And before I get lynched... the bust rate for 1st round QBs is 53%... and the bust rate for 1st round WRs is 45%. Sadly, neither of the Bengals biggest needs are terribly safe picks.

Look at it this way:

This season likely will suck no matter who they take in the 2nd round. The Bengals need a 2nd string QB regardless. So, let's say they take Dalton in the 2nd round then draft Andrew Luck in the first round next year or get a solid FA QB for 2012.

The team needs a QB and without being able to investigate the FA market before the draft this year, you have to take a QB in the draft. I have no problem with taking one in round 2.

If there is a QB available in the 2nd round, it will mean he isn't a 1st round talent.

I don't think there is but one "1st round talent" QB and I don't want him either. (Newton)

See, this is why I like you Derek. You have to think the way the coaching staff does. I actually agree with you 100% in that if THE COACHING STAFF feels Gabbert is truly a franchise QB, I think they have to take him. There's no guarantees they will be in position to get a QB next draft and there is to much uncertainty at the top of the 2nd round. There is no plan for FA at this point in time, so hanging your hat there also isn't an option. Palmer could be dealt after the fact (I still think the 49er's make the most sense) but again, nothing definitve makes things a bit tense.

I don't like the thought of Gabbert being the pick by any stretch, but agree with that concept.

F*CK !!!

The Bengals need a 2nd string QB regardless. So, let's say they take Dalton in the 2nd round then draft Andrew Luck in the first round next year or get a solid FA QB for 2012.

F*ck that!

If the Bengals are only looking to get a back-up this year... fine. I don't agree with it, but whatever. But not in the 2nd round!

Give me McElroy in the 6th. The 2nd round is for starters, not bench warmers.

The Bengals need a 2nd string QB regardless. So, let's say they take Dalton in the 2nd round then draft Andrew Luck in the first round next year or get a solid FA QB for 2012.

F*ck that!

If the Bengals are only looking to get a back-up this year... fine. I don't agree with it, but whatever. But not in the 2nd round!

If you look at his numbers and where he will get drafted McElroy is the best option IMO.

F*ck that!

If you look at his numbers and where he will get drafted McElroy is the best option IMO.

Yep. He's certainly a sleeper with "value pick" written all over him.

He might become a starter one day... but even if he doesn't, he'll be a very solid back-up who has a ton of intelligence and leadership.

Photo montage of MBs 20 top draft picks during his tenure.

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=AB&Dato=20110420&Kategori=SPT02&Lopenr=104200803&Ref=PH/Photos-Bengals-1st-round-picks-since-Mike-Brown-s-reign