Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

I'm really thinking the Panthers will fall in love with Newton and draft him.

Follow that with the Broncos taking Peterson and the Bills taking Gabbert.

That leaves us with an assload of options, with my personal favorite of "trading down", being the top option.

Bowers, Green, Fairley, Dareus, and Quinn all on the board at #4 ??

Find the team and trade down.

First of all, I like the trading down option.

Second of all, take Bowers off your board for it looks like he will fall to bottom 10 or out of the top 10 all together.

Third, Dareus will be the second or third pick so he won't Be there. It will be between Fairley, Amukamara, Quinn, Green, or Peterson

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All opinions and those were just mine. When looking at the draft a few months ago, how many people even knew who the hell Blaine Gabbert was, let alone a top 3 prospect ?? Not many. Now he's atop the draft boards. Things can and will still change between now and the draft, but I have to think if those QB needy teams ahead of us truly feel those guys are franchise type QB's, they will make the call. The old saying of, "If you don't have a franchise QB, get one" applies here. Teams have to at least appear to be making an effort.

As for the Bengals, if there at least 4 players sitting there they would draft (and there will be) every effort should be made to trade down. Going down just a few spots would net them at least a pick in the top 10 of the 3rd round and I wouldn't complain one bit with that considering our needs and who I would anticipate being there at the top of the 3rd. Safety, Guard, RB ??

All opinions and those were just mine. When looking at the draft a few months ago, how many people even knew who the hell Blaine Gabbert was, let alone a top 3 prospect ?? Not many. Now he's atop the draft boards. Things can and will still change between now and the draft, but I have to think if those QB needy teams ahead of us truly feel those guys are franchise type QB's, they will make the call. The old saying of, "If you don't have a franchise QB, get one" applies here. Teams have to at least appear to be making an effort.

As for the Bengals, if there at least 4 players sitting there they would draft (and there will be) every effort should be made to trade down. Going down just a few spots would net them at least a pick in the top 10 of the 3rd round and I wouldn't complain one bit with that considering our needs and who I would anticipate being there at the top of the 3rd. Safety, Guard, RB ??

Would you trade the 4th pick to Philly for their 1st round pick (23rd overall), Kolb and a third? Assuming you can trade players before then.

I don't think Philly would give up a starting QB and a third just to move up to #4. Then again, who knows ??

If I were the Bengals, why not ?? You grab a starting WCO quarterback, stay in the first round AND pick up a 3rd.

I think that would be a good deal. I like Kolb, but I'm sure there are others that don't and would hate that deal.

4th: 1800 23rd:780 3rd:160 leaving difference of 1060 pts no I don't think Kolb is worth 16th pick value wise so I'd pass on the trade...if it was there 2nd,3rd and 4th maybe.....

I don't think Philly would give up a starting QB and a third just to move up to #4.

Wait kolb is a starter? Because I was pretty sure he was a backup who was given a chance to start but lost it.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110319/SPT02/103200344/Pash-sides-Brown

Scouting quarterbacks

Marvin Lewis went to Florida State's pro day Wednesday and Missouri's on Thursday with offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.

When asked about quarterback Blaine Gabbert's workout Thursday, Lewis said it went well. In the search for what could be Carson Palmer's replacement, Lewis has been at the pro days of Auburn (Cam Newton), Florida State (Christian Ponder) and Missouri (Gabbert).

I don't think Philly would give up a starting QB and a third just to move up to #4.

Agreed.

If Philly agreed to a deal like that, I'd jump. But they will get way better offers than that.

I think I would take it also, but I dont see why Philly would be in need of the #4 spot.

4th: 1800 23rd:780 3rd:160 leaving difference of 1060 pts no I don't think Kolb is worth 16th pick value wise so I'd pass on the trade...if it was there 2nd,3rd and 4th maybe.....

Wait kolb is a starter? Because I was pretty sure he was a backup who was given a chance to start but lost it.

He was a backup to McNabb, who when given the opportunity always produced in the Eagles offense. He was the reason McNabb was traded. He was the starter and if not for the concussion that forced Vick into action, who knows how the Mike Vick story would have unfolded. The rest is history and now the Eagles think Vick is the long term answer. I like Vick and what he did last year, but I think they are making a mistake.

I wouldn't mind capitalizing on that mistake for the right price. Again though, I don't think it will happen.

Fifth round? I'm no longer sure that Mallett makes it out of the first. Christian Ponder either. Neither is going to go in the top 10, but I can see a team like Seattle taking a flyer late in the first. I think we could see as many as five QBs -- Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett and Ponder -- off the board by the time the 33rd pick rolls around.

I see Ponder as nothing more than an option as a #2 QB. What makes you folks think he can become a #1 in the NFL?

The emerging consensus is that Ponder is just dreamy for WCO teams.

Florida State QB Christian Ponder "continues to ascend" after showing off "above average arm strength" and "excellent footwork" at the Seminoles' Pro Day, according to NFL Network's Mike Mayock.

Mayock's colleague, Michael Lombardi, indicated that many teams now prefer Ponder to Jake Locker. We assume those are West Coast teams, as Ponder's pass placement and athleticism are considered tailor made for the system. Ponder proved his arm was back to full strength, nailing his selection of deep throws Wednesday. Despite an underwhelming college career, Ponder is now seen as the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

Fifth round? I'm no longer sure that Mallett makes it out of the first. Christian Ponder either. Neither is going to go in the top 10, but I can see a team like Seattle taking a flyer late in the first. I think we could see as many as five QBs -- Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett and Ponder -- off the board by the time the 33rd pick rolls around.

I actually agree with you here Hoosier, it's rather my sense of comfort when it comes to Mallett.

He's one of the QB's I actually saw play a ton last year and I always left VERY unimpressed. VERY.

I just feel someone who's played average isn't worth that high of a selection,I'd question a late first for him...

2 Good games out of 12 in 4 years just doesn't seem like it's worth a 4th,Mind you if we used a 2nd on him instead of Ryan Mallett I could back that...

One team willing to offer first round pick for Kolb.

More then likely a late first round pick and Congrats to the seattle seahawks they are the same team that traded for Clipboard jesus :|

I actually agree with you here Hoosier, it's rather my sense of comfort when it comes to Mallett.

He's one of the QB's I actually saw play a ton last year and I always left VERY unimpressed. VERY.

Well I pray he does go in the 1st round so The Redeemer isn't tempted in rnd 2 or 3 :|

I think we could see as many as five QBs -- Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett and Ponder -- off the board by the time the 33rd pick rolls around.

I'd say depends if the new CBA deal is done because if it is there be alot vet QB movement so less people will take shots on rookies.

I see Ponder as nothing more than an option as a #2 QB. What makes you folks think he can become a #1 in the NFL?

The emerging consensus is that Ponder is just dreamy for WCO teams.

Florida State QB Christian Ponder "continues to ascend" after showing off "above average arm strength" and "excellent footwork" at the Seminoles' Pro Day, according to NFL Network's Mike Mayock.

Mayock's colleague, Michael Lombardi, indicated that many teams now prefer Ponder to Jake Locker. We assume those are West Coast teams, as Ponder's pass placement and athleticism are considered tailor made for the system. Ponder proved his arm was back to full strength, nailing his selection of deep throws Wednesday. Despite an underwhelming college career, Ponder is now seen as the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

I have yet to talk to a Florida St fan who thinks he's worth a darn

I have yet to talk to a Florida St fan who thinks he's worth a darn

Such is the power of the Great Draft Hype Machine.

I agree that Mallett has plenty of warts. In a lot of ways he reminds me of a poor man's version of Palmer. Which, I suppose, is why I kind of like him. For all his flaws, he's the kind of QB the Bengals have been able to be at least competitive with. And the idea of them investing the 4 in Gabbert or Newton scares the crap out of me. Now, if they trade down and want to take a shot on Locker/Ponder/Mallett mid- to late-first, I'm good with that.

I'd say depends if the new CBA deal is done because if it is there be alot vet QB movement so less people will take shots on rookies.

Maybe. But right now I would still say that Newton and Gabbert are first round locks and Locker's got about a 90% chance of joining them. Throw in someone taking a late-round flyer and then another team jumping back up into the first because they are afraid their guy won't make it to them and five QBs go in the first.

From Rotoworld via si.com w/ Rotoworld comments:

SI's Peter King reports that the Bengals have Julio Jones rated higher than A.J. Green on their draft board.

This is fairly significant because many mock drafts have A.J. Green going to Cincinnati at No. 4 overall. "Several personnel sources" tell King that Jones is the safer receiver prospect "in terms of work ethic and practice habits." The theory, ostensibly, is that Jones had to work harder in college because Green is a more natural athlete. The Bengals are also reimplementing a run-first offense, and Jones is regarded as a better blocker.