Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

I heard two "experts" are saying the Panthers are probably going to take Ponder with the first pick over Newton. Of course two days later I heard experts say they'd be shocked if the Panthers took any qb with the first pick, so who knows. A lot of spy vs. spy stuff going on right now.

I don't quite get it with the Panthers. Has anybody told them that 1) no one picks in front of them, and 2) they won't be able to negotiate with a pick before the draft? I'm not saying they should broadcast their intentions, but it seems like a lot of effort for no real purpose.

Unless they intend to trade down, but there's no way that happens, especially this year.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's your boy Billy.

Well Mark, back in 2003 Carson Palmer was my (and probably almost everyone else's here) boy for the 1st round pick. We all know how that worked out.

Personally I think Cam Newton is a more dynamic player than any other QB in this or even the next draft. I also believe from what I've seen from him in his college career is that he can find ways to win, either by shedding rushers in the pocket, getting the needed yards by running with his size and open field moves, and finding receivers with his very strong arm all over the field.

Yeah... he's my boy.

Yeah, that's your boy Billy.

Well Mark, back in 2003 Carson Palmer was my (and probably almost everyone else's here) boy for the 1st round pick. We all know how that worked out.

Personally I think Cam Newton is a more dynamic player than any other QB in this or even the next draft. I also believe from what I've seen from him in his college career is that he can find ways to win, either by shedding rushers in the pocket, getting the needed yards by running with his size and open field moves, and finding receivers with his very strong arm all over the field.

Yeah... he's my boy.

Not to turn this into another Palmer thread but Palmer was the #1 consensus and right pick for the Bengals. Alot of other factors led to him not living up to his full potential. Some the Bengals doing, some his.

The thing that concerns me about Newton is how he can handle adversity. He hasn't yet. When/if he comes here, he will. For me a safer pick would be someone that keeps his head down and leads from the front. If that means picking up an FA QB this year and waiting another year to draft a QB then so be it.

I'm sorry but his "I'm an entertainer" label he gave himself sent off red flags and flashing lights in my mind.

Just my opinion...

For the record, if Peterson is there take him. Look for a suitable QB in the second round. If not keep looking in later rounds for a solid backup and look for a stopgap QB for 2012 like a Kitna, i.e. 2003. Give HEAVY attention to the lines especially if we are getting back to the run the ball/stop the run mantra. Play to your strengths. Don't get distracted by shiny toys.

The thing that concerns me about Newton is how he can handle adversity. He hasn't yet.

I believe he has to some extent. He went from Division I Florida to a junior college (Blinn) where he won the championship there. He then went to Auburn who plays in the NCAA's toughest division (they've won the last five NCAA championships) and not only won the title, but walked away with the Hiesman too... all the while being skewered for his fathers inappropriate dealings for his play. That couldn't be a walk in the park.

I'm sorry but his "I'm an entertainer" label he gave himself sent off red flags and flashing lights in my mind.

Just my opinion...

After Chad, I can understand concerns about that comment, but I personally don't see him being a scatter brained publicity whore as Ochocinco.

Just my opinion...

Damn fella's. How can any of you be so head over heals for Akili 2.0? If this team drafts him it may be the straw that broke the camels back.

Akili 2.0? That's pretty harsh kev!

Fit's though.

Actually it looks more like Akili 85.0

He seems to have a lot of Ochocinco's diva attitude as well. Just what this team needs.

For the record, if Peterson is there take him.

Does Peterson's Wonderlich score have any impact on your desire?

The reason I'm asking is because I now find myself cooling a bit on AJ Green. Nutshelled, while I don't normally give much weight to Wonderlich scores I have to admit that one of the biggest factors behind my attraction was the idea of Green being capable of playing all three WR positions. I wanted that. More importantly, I think Jay Gruden wants that. He's stressed the need to look simple but play complex. The ability to line up basic and play multiple. Coupled with Simpson and Caldwell, each of whom can also play all three roles, Green would have provided the Bengals with a perfect compliment. But if Green can't actually play all three positions?

Moving on to Peterson, the poor Wonderlich score looks like a perfect explanation for the poor instincts Peterson sometimes shows when asked to play anything other than press coverage, and it casts serious doubts over his ability to switch to safety, an idea I admit I've never liked. But others do like the idea including those who worry that Peterson might outgrow the CB position.

Just saying.

The reason I'm asking is because I now find myself cooling a bit on AJ Green. Nutshelled, while I don't normally give much weight to Wonderlich scores I have to admit that one of the biggest factors behind my attraction was the idea of Green being capable of playing all three WR positions. I wanted that. More importantly, I think Jay Gruden wants that. He's stressed the need to look simple but play complex.

Yep, and with that Wonderlic score, he's going to have trouble with 'See Spot Run', let alone the west coast offense. I was never sold on the idea - I never like WRs that high, the flame-out rate is worrying.

Moving on to Peterson, the poor Wonderlich score looks like a perfect explanation for the poor instincts Peterson sometimes shows when asked to play anything other than press coverage,

If he's good enough, I'll be happy letting him play press coverage and leaving him. Peterson island?

and it casts serious doubts over his ability to switch to safety, an idea I admit I've never liked. But others do like the idea including those who worry that Peterson might outgrow the CB position.

I hate the idea of drafting a guy at #4 and switching his position. History should show by now that's a terrible idea. If he's not a CB, don't draft him. Too high for a safety, really, anyway.

The reason I'm asking is because I now find myself cooling a bit on AJ Green. Nutshelled, while I don't normally give much weight to Wonderlich scores I have to admit that one of the biggest factors behind my attraction was the idea of Green being capable of playing all three WR positions. I wanted that. More importantly, I think Jay Gruden wants that. He's stressed the need to look simple but play complex. The ability to line up basic and play multiple. Coupled with Simpson and Caldwell, each of whom can also play all three roles, Green would have provided the Bengals with a perfect compliment. But if Green can't actually play all three positions?

Moving on to Peterson, the poor Wonderlich score looks like a perfect explanation for the poor instincts Peterson sometimes shows when asked to play anything other than press coverage, and it casts serious doubts over his ability to switch to safety, an idea I admit I've never liked. But others do like the idea including those who worry that Peterson might outgrow the CB position.

Just saying.

Hmmm...maybe. For QB it seems to be much more a dictator of play, for WR probably a little, if not much, less. What was Revis', Joseph's, and Hall's wonderlic? Just curious if anyone knows.

First, after spelling it correctly a million times before I just realized I spelled the word wonderlic incorrectly. Hilarious.

I would NOT draft me.

Second, I haven't bailed on AJ Green. Far from it in fact. All I've done is cool on him a little because of the reasons mentioned. However, I've seen Green play all three spots in college, including the slot, so I have no doubt he can do it. His ability to get out of his breaks is rare stuff. But how quickly can he learn the terminology and playbook?

FWIW it's not like any of the other so-called consensus Top5 picks from a couple of months ago have fared any better than Green. Everybody but Darius and perhaps Miller have slipped...making it easier for teams to justify overdrafting QB's if they're so inclined.

Well, I'm pretty cool with the thought of how quickly he can learn the playbook, based upon the fact it's a new system being implemented and all the players are having to learn it. Sure, the current players have the playbook in hand already, but if and when he's drafted, the other players will make sure he gets it as well. It's not like he would be losing any more time than usual due to the lockout.

I really do think a WR corps of Green, Simpson, Shipley, and Caldwell along with Gresham will certainly help any QB coming into the system.

Bengals, Dolphins line up visits with Ryan Mallett

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 28, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Ryan Mallett, Ross Homan

Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallet has lined up a couple of pre-draft visits with teams that have question marks at quarterback.

ESPN’s James Walker reports that Mallett will hold a private workout with the Dolphins on Tuesday in Arkansas,and that he’ll also visit Miami April 14-15. Between those two appointments with the Dolphins, Mallett has a workout in Cincinnati with the Bengals at the end of this week.

Both the Bengals and the Dolphins could have a need at quarterback in the draft. With the Bengals, it’s not clear whether Carson Palmer is willing to return to Cincinnati. With the Dolphins, it’s not clear whether they want Chad Henne to return to Miami.

Mallett has an outstanding arm, but he’s awkward on his feet and there are questions about his mental makeup. It would be shocking if the Bengals are considering Mallett at No. 4 overall, and it’s probably more likely that Cincinnati is hoping the reports that Mallett will fall out of the first round prove true.

God,I hope its a smoke screen we don't need byron leftwich/Jamarcus Russel 3.0

I think they need to try out as many QBs as they can to see which one will best fit Grudens offense. Im still not sold on any of these QBs in this draft, but they have to do something. I still think they need to trade that pick, so acquire more picks to fill other holes.

Comp picks have been announced.

/>http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42277034/

This year, the Bengals get a rock: one seventh round comp pick (No. 245 overall). So woo hoo, y'all.

I'm shocked we got that,we didn't lose shet last year.

The way it works is that there are 32 comp picks each year, and in any year where the formula determines that fewer than 32 picks are due to teams due to FA losses, the remaining picks are set to round 7 and assigned in the 1st round draft order til they are gone. This year, only 21 picks were assigned by formula, leaving 11, so the teams that draft 1-11 in round 1 picked up a single r7 comp pick each

Just saying.

Gotta have a QB to draft a guy like AJ Green. Palmer is out, trust me on that.

Cam is our guy... if available. If not, we go OL.

Count me on the cam newton bandwagon

Look we have to take a quarterback with this first pick. There is no quarentee that there will be a QB available in rd2. There is no guarantee that we will be in position for Luck next year. We need to pull the trigger on newton. Billy, you got company.

Count me on the cam newton bandwagon

Look we have to take a quarterback with this first pick. There is no quarentee that there will be a QB available in rd2. There is no guarantee that we will be in position for Luck next year. We need to pull the trigger on newton. Billy, you got company.

Why the impetus to get a QB this year? If this lockout continues through training camp, it's unlikely any rookie can start at QB in 2011 especially a project like Newton who didn't play in a pro set in college. If Newton plays this year he'll be scrambling for his life and may end up starting the 2012 off season rehabing an injury

If Cam is our guy I may just throw myself off a building.

The fortunate thing is it looks like Cam and Blaine Gabbert are likely to be gone by 4. I have said it several times on this board. Since there isn't a sure thing in any offensive position in this draft (i.e. no Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald) we should take one of the best available players on the defensive side of this draft, this is one of the best defensive line drafts I can remember but at #4 I believe the best defensive players are in this order, Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, and Nick Fairley. I think Nick Fairley is the reincarnation of Warren Sapp and nothing I have seen (bad body and all) has changed my mind since day one he is an explosive one gap penetrator. Von Miller is the best OLB prospect I have seen coming into the draft ever (keep in mind I only date back to the 1989 draft) he is fast, explosive, extremely productive against top competition (Russell Okung, Trent Williams, and Jason Smith to name a few) and an absolute fireball leader with a very high football intellect he is the complete package and trust me this team can find a use for such talent(yes better than Demarcus Ware because Ware was coming from Troy and you weren't sure about his transition). And Patrick Peterson, he has the speed and play-making ability that you just can't teach, his play of the field indicates that he has a high football iq even if his Wonderlic tests aren't great but that has to be evaluated.

Cam Newton is a risk plain and simple. He plays in an offense where he doesn't have to read the field, he can look at his first two options and then run that won't work in the pros and you have no way of predicting whether his game translates into the NFL (likewise you have similar concerns about Gabbert who was not even a superstar at the collegiate level). Mike Mayock has Newton ranked 22 in his list of Top 32 prospects behind Jake Locker stating the risk is not worth the reward at the high end of the draft. I agree and I likewise have a similar evaluation of Blaine Gabbert. Marcel Dareus is another possibility but I believe Nick Fairley is the better player.