Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

If the Bengals are only looking to get a back-up this year... fine. I don't agree with it, but whatever. But not in the 2nd round!

That works for me.

As I've said repeatedly I wouldn't look for a new starting QB in this draft simply because I don't believe ANY of the available prospects are capable of playing well early. Rather, I'm looking for an upgrade at the primary backup QB position, and the earliest I can imagine pulling the trigger is the 3rd round.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count Boomer and Collinsworth as guys who agree with Hobson that Gabbert is the Bengals guy. In fact Boomer's even dissing his old team a bit in this article. What did the Bengals ever do to him?

http://aol.sportingn...ls-organization

Fire Sam Wyche, replace him with Dave Shula and draft David Klingler. :lol:

And wait to draft him in the second round.

And there's this: Wyche remembers Esiason being furious the Bengals got him with the 38th pick.

"He thought he was going seventh. He was not a happy camper when I called and told him we drafted him," Wyche says. "He said, 'We're going to show the rest of the league they made a big mistake.' "

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Old-QB-hunter-stalks-same-trail/57723179-e426-48d7-96f2-baf749468f8d

If the Bengals are only looking to get a back-up this year... fine. I don't agree with it, but whatever. But not in the 2nd round!

That works for me.

As I've said repeatedly I wouldn't look for a new starting QB in this draft simply because I don't believe ANY of the available prospects are capable of playing well early. Rather, I'm looking for an upgrade at the primary backup QB position, and the earliest I can imagine pulling the trigger is the 3rd round.

This is where I am.

While I don't see them waiting to make a move at QB, I would be very welcome to see it happen. Some of us have spoken about McElroy in the past and him being available in the 4th and maybe the 5th. His big knock is arm strength. I look at him as a younger Kitna. Football smarts, good character, and able to move around, but lacking the big time arm. Anyway, a good backup would be nice.

Fair warning, if the Bengals draft Gabbert at #4 overall I will excessively and non-stop complain about it. For years. It will make the people who were upset at the Chris Perry pick seem restrained.

Fair warning, if the Bengals draft Gabbert at #4 overall I will excessively and non-stop complain about it. For years. It will make the people who were upset at the Chris Perry pick seem restrained.

I don't think that is possible!

So, which of Gabbert's nicknames do you like better?

Bon Jovi or the Golden Hawk?

I lean towards Golden Hawk.

I found the mock Emmitt Smith mock draft amusing on Walterfootball where he calls him:

"Blade Gabber"

Blade. Funny.

I will take half of that. I dub him, the Golden Shower, should we take him at #4 overall.

I found the QB I want. In the 5th round!

Adam Froman, Louisville

/>http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/23/n-f-l-draft-adam-froman-fourth-ranked-quarterback/

There's a 15 minute video in that link, where he does everything an NFL QB needs to do that you can't teach. Frankly a more impressive video than I've seen from any of the other top guys (this NYTimes article has him ranked as 4th best and says it would like to rate him higher).

Did I mention he runs a 4.55 40 and 4.08 Cone drill? Watch the video. After a couple of minutes there are some run plays. Then some where he tucks it and goes. Good stuff.

Yep, I'll be very upset if either of those two first picks are a QB...

Edit: Oh yeah, and he's 6'4'' 220lbs...

Abe Froman ?? The Sausage King of Chicago ??

Oooh, ADAM Froman. That's different.

Anyway, I can't find anything about his injuries that kept him out of the last 5 games of last season.

Hard to say he's a better pick than some of the other guys out there, but seeing as how I don't like any of them, why not ??

Certainly a late round guy though.

Abe Froman ?? The Sausage King of Chicago ??

Oooh, ADAM Froman. That's different.

Anyway, I can't find anything about his injuries that kept him out of the last 5 games of last season.

Hard to say he's a better pick than some of the other guys out there, but seeing as how I don't like any of them, why not ??

Certainly a late round guy though.

Haha, I made the same reference!

Apparently it was a deep thigh bruise - and getting dinged in such ways seems to be the one knock on him. Actually thinking we could probably get him in the 7th - but I'm also thinking a lot of teams who took a QB early will use the 7th to take that second QB in the draft this year (along with those who'll take developmental fliers anyhow).

Pretty amazing deep ball placement though. My favorite play is probably the one where he throws the quick fade from shotgun (I think the only play I didn't see him drop back) into the end zone. He got pancaked but the ball perfect.

Idk who i want anymore,.. 5 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? You don't know? Did you know there is a tall white Arkansas QB with a drug history?

It's like I don't know you at all anymore.

Haha, good one. But mallet is slower than molasses in winter

Im worried they will draft Gabbert, and it really scares me. I dont care who else they take just not Gabbert, im fine with Green, one of the defense linemen, heck i will take Cam Newton over Gabbert. If i had the choice i would trade back for more picks, to many holes to fill, so why not get more picks to fill them.

Im worried they will draft Gabbert, and it really scares me. I dont care who else they take just not Gabbert, im fine with Green, one of the defense linemen, heck i will take Cam Newton over Gabbert. If i had the choice i would trade back for more picks, to many holes to fill, so why not get more picks to fill them.

I frequent many NFL teams forums, and there is not one where there is not discussion about trading down in this draft. I really don't see a window for any team to desire to trade up this year.

I agree and have mentioned it as well.

For as much as I would LOVE to see a scenario where they can trade down, I see less than a 10% chance of it happening and that might be generous.

No team is going to want to trade up into the top 5 without a rookie payscale this draft, knowing there will be quality players sitting there.

That and anyone really needing a QB might be better off financially giving up picks and trying to trade back up into the bottom of the first.

If we take Gabbert over Green, I will be pissed.

So I was thinking about starting a new thread, but figured it might as well go in here because it would turn into the same conversation.

Given this situation, what would you do ??

The Bengals probably aren't going to be able to trade out of the #4 pick and with that in mind, which player makes the most sense to you ??

Blaine Gabbert, QB

AJ Green, WR

Nick Fairley, DT

Robert Quinn, DE

Patrick Peterson, CB

I listed those five because I feel they are probably the ones that will not only be there, but would make sense in some form or fashion.

With this being the case, who do you take ??

While I'm not thrilled with Gabbert, if the coaches think he's a "franchise" type of QB, they have to take him.

Green, is probably the next pick that makes the most sense for the Bengals, but won't be the popular pick.

Fairley was once considered a top 3 pick that probably wouldn't make it to #4, now not so much. I'm torn with him being the pick.

Quinn is probably my favorite of the bunch, but carries risk the Bengals probably aren't willing to take at #4.

Peterson would normally be a really good pick in my eyes, but I think Adam Jones could fill in nicely. They f*cked up the dealing with JJoe.

With no rookie payscale, they should have just paid JJoe a reasonable contract.

I think it comes down to either Gabbert or Green, with the nod going to Gabbert if they think he's "franchise" material and to Green if they would rather take their chances waiting until the second. I won't be happy with a trade up into the bottom of the first round, giving up picks, to grab a QB that wouldn't have gone any earlier than the 3rd any other draft.

So I was thinking about starting a new thread, but figured it might as well go in here because it would turn into the same conversation.

Given this situation, what would you do ??

The Bengals probably aren't going to be able to trade out of the #4 pick and with that in mind, which player makes the most sense to you ??

Blaine Gabbert, QB

AJ Green, WR

Nick Fairley, DT

Robert Quinn, DE

Patrick Peterson, CB

I listed those five because I feel they are probably the ones that will not only be there, but would make sense in some form or fashion.

With this being the case, who do you take ??

Nick Fairley in a heartbeat. The dude is a BEAST!