Week 17: Bills @ Bengals

HoosierCat

3 minutes ago, COB said:

But it also means we can’t pas the chiefs to get home field.  

It’s a negative for our chances in playoffs on every level. Just one of those things. Sometimes life intervenes. Will have to do best they can with the hand dealt. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, membengal said:

It’s a negative for our chances in playoffs on every level. Just one of those things. Sometimes life intervenes. Will have to do best they can with the hand dealt. 

Yup. Imho the least disruptive solution is just to bag the game completely and both teams move on with the records they have. But knowing the nfl, they will probably have each team play back to back doubleheaders, or something equally stupid.

If the league office absolutely, positively has to have a W and an L on the books, just flip a freaking coin.

I hope he's ok.  Life can be harsh.  I've lost half a dozen family/friends over the last 2 years in tragic fashion, no one's lighting up the city for them. 

Surely there's a medical update on his general condition by now? I assumed the NFL would re-schedule the rest of the game tonight, because outside of that, I don't know what they're going to do.  You can't penalize other players/teams and fans.   I completely understand suspending the game though.

I dont think they can do a coin flip for a W or a L because if the Bills were to win it, they'd take over the 1 seed from KC and there'd be an eternal shitstorm over it

I know God-dell wants to get the game played for the money involved, but I dont see it happening at this point, with the Bills having flown home last night.

so it'll be either declared a tie or game simply never played.    I cant see it going any other way.

I really really hate that KC benefits from all of this, but they did also win 13 games, fair and square. If the Bengals had simply taken care of business in game 1, they'd have the 1 seed already.  Bed made, lie in it., and all that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

They could chalk this game and next weeks games up to a tie for the Bills and Bengals and give them more time to process and deal.
We were 10 rows up, and about 15 yards from where it happened.  Pretty good view of it all.  Just scary.
It went from being one of the most amped up crowds I've ever heard/seen at a Bengals game, to being so quiet it was really eerie.
It's surprisingly hard to explain any differently than that.

Weren't you an Army Medic? Any insight into what happened?  It did not look like a particular brutal hit.

6 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I dont think they can do a coin flip for a W or a L because if the Bills were to win it, they'd take over the 1 seed from KC and there'd be an eternal shitstorm over it

I know God-dell wants to get the game played for the money involved, but I dont see it happening at this point, with the Bills having flown home last night.

so it'll be either declared a tie or game simply never played.    I cant see it going any other way.

I really really hate that KC benefits from all of this, but they did also win 13 games, fair and square. If the Bengals had simply taken care of business in game 1, they'd have the 1 seed already.  Bed made, lie in it., and all that

Yeah I don't know how they get the game in before Sunday and still keep teams on a reasonable schedule.  Bills' likely flew home as it's easier to do that 1.5 hour flight than book hotel rooms etc.., for another night.  Only option I can see is tonight or tomorrow - but I don't know how they do that.

You can't penalize either team for it, or other teams,  it'll be interesting to see what they do.

If there’s any good that comes out of this it’s that football, money, business, and all of it don’t compare to the compassion we should have for human life and each other.

As far as the game goes, postpone the entire NFL schedule back one week. Allow the Bengals/Bills to play this weekend. There’s already a built in bye before the Super Bowl which they could use for the championship games. Or just move it all back one week. The whole schedule. 

32 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

If there’s any good that comes out of this it’s that football, money, business, and all of it don’t compare to the compassion we should have for human life and each other.

As far as the game goes, postpone the entire NFL schedule back one week. Allow the Bengals/Bills to play this weekend. There’s already a built in bye before the Super Bowl which they could use for the championship games. Or just move it all back one week. The whole schedule. 

I suspect moving the Super Bowl would be basically impossible. Easier scenario: Play week 18 as normal and then the NFC playoffs proceed on schedule. In the AFC, Bills and Bengals play on week 19, rest of the AFC playoff field is off. AFC playoffs then commence the following week. AFC championship is the week before the Super Bowl.

So the NFC champ gets two weeks off before the big game versus just one for the AFC champ, but the AFC champ got an extra bye week earlier (either week 19 or, in the case it's the Bengals or Bills, this week).

I remain in the just forget it and move on camp, but if they have to play the game this seems like the least disruptive model to me.

1 minute ago, HoosierCat said:

I suspect moving the Super Bowl would be basically impossible. Easier scenario: Play week 18 as normal and then the NFC playoffs proceed on schedule. In the AFC, Bills and Bengals play on week 19, rest of the AFC playoff field is off. AFC playoffs then commence the following week. AFC championship is the week before the Super Bowl.

So the NFC champ gets two weeks off before the big game versus just one for the AFC champ, but the AFC champ got an extra bye week earlier (either week 19 or, in the case it's the Bengals or Bills, this week).

I remain in the just forget it and move on camp, but if they have to play the game this seems like the least disruptive model to me.

I’m ok with that. I’m ok with cancelling the rest of the NFL season.  But there is a way to move the SB back. The NFL is not at the mercy of anything. They could make it happen.

The league should have made a decision last night.  They were too busy seizing the moral high ground, didn’t want to appear callous, cold hearted, or greedy.

All this “all we care about now is this young man’s health,” bullshit from the league does not change the reality that this 18 billion dollar industry absolutely wrecks the bodies and neurological health of its young employees.  

10 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

That would be a massive disadvantage to the Bills and Bengals, all the other AFC teams get a bye and you don't.   The easiest, least painful thing is to call the game a tie and let the chips fall where they may.  Sucks for the Bengals because I think they were clearly the better team on Monday but you shouldn't have lost to Pitt week one....