Week 17: Bills @ Bengals

HoosierCat

12 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

So the NFC champ gets two weeks off before the big game versus just one for the AFC champ, but the AFC champ got an extra bye week earlier (either week 19 or, in the case it's the Bengals or Bills, this week).

I remain in the just forget it and move on camp, but if they have to play the game this seems like the least disruptive model to me.

The league would probably love to seize another weekend of tv.  Imagine the profits.  I wonder though if the union will let them.  My belief is the union will not allow the players to play in a rescheduled game.  The game is likely gone for good, they’ll have to come up with some artificial fix that is as fair as they can make it, then just move forward with the schedule as is.

12 minutes ago, COB said:

The league would probably love to seize another weekend of tv.  Imagine the profits.  I wonder though if the union will let them.  My belief is the union will not allow the players to play in a rescheduled game.  The game is likely gone for good, they’ll have to come up with some artificial fix that is as fair as they can make it, then just move forward with the schedule as is.

The AFC/NFC champ games are already sold and have different time slots.   The broadcast partner would be the only 1 to gain in that scenario with a larger assumption advertisers would pay more.    I doubt it.

35 minutes ago, COB said:

That raises the question of whether the players will be paid for last night. I don't know what constitutes a "game" under the CBA, but the union was very much against cancelling games a couple years ago because it meant players didn't get a paycheck that week.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-wanted-to-cancel-week-15-postponed-games-nflpas-pushback-resulted-in-players-getting-paid/

24 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Moving Superbowl location isn't impossible because they prepare an alternate site.   Moving Superbowl date would be next to impossible and you really run the risk of safety there.    There is so much coordination that goes on with the FBI etc.

Yup. There's also tons of venues that have been rented that may or may not be available the following week, same for hotel rooms, car rentals, airline flights, etc.. Moving the date would be very difficult.

Bit of an update, continues to sound not so good...

Tuesday morning, family spokesperson Jordon Rooney provided an update on Hamlin: "I can't speak specifically on his medical condition. All I'll say is, he's fighting. He's a fighter. ... The family's in good spirits. We're honestly just taking it minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour. ... What's most important is to give the family their privacy. ... His family is going through a lot right now."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-damar-hamlin-suffers-cardiac-arrest-on-field-vs-bengals-family-spokesperson-says-safety-is-fighting/

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Weren't you an Army Medic? Any insight into what happened?  It did not look like a particular brutal hit.

I was an Army Medic.  Paramedic for nearly 20 years.  I taught trauma medicine and ran the US Army EMS office nationally.
That being said, I haven't done any medicine for nearly 12 years.  I don't put my hands on people any more.  Thanks Afghanistan !!
While it is still a passion of mine and I do keep up with the latest, I don't usually speak about it outside of family.

I can tell you I was 1 of maybe 5 people at the concession stand when it happened.  I really wanted a Coke.
I watched on the closed circuit TVs they have out there and thought he simply fainted.
There was very little to be taken away from what looked like a very typical football play.
Just crazy...

• Like 1

MB:

First and foremost, the Bengals continue to send thoughts and prayers to Damar Hamlin and his family. Our hearts are with everyone in this unprecedented time – what we can do is support one another.

Last night was supposed to be a great night for the NFL and a great showcase for our hometown. Instead, the human side of our sport became paramount … and in that moment, humanity and love rose to the forefront.

As medical personnel undertook extraordinary measures, both teams demonstrated respect and compassion while fans in the stadium and people around the country bolstered the support for Damar and love for each other.

The Bengals are thankful for the love and compassion shown by all. Praying for Damar.

https://www.bengals.com/news/mike-brown-statement-damar-hamlin-bengals-bills-week-17-2022-season

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

First domino has fallen, Roger Goddell has stated that the game will not be rescheduled for this week and there are no planned changes to the week 18 schedule.

Good on Roger. This is the right call imho while we wait for word on Hamlin.

Let week 18 play out and see what the fallout is.

Right now, without the game being counted, the Bills are the #2 seed and the Bengals the #3, hosting the Patriots and Ravens respectively.
If the Bills and Bengals both win in week 18, there is no other AFC game which will impact them remaining the #2 and #3 seeds.
That being the case, they could call the game from yesterday a tie and move on completely.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Right now, without the game being counted, the Bills are the #2 seed and the Bengals the #3, hosting the Patriots and Ravens respectively.
If the Bills and Bengals both win in week 18, there is no other AFC game which will impact them remaining the #2 and #3 seeds.
That being the case, they could call the game from yesterday a tie and move on completely.

They could play the almost inevitable playoff matchup at a neutral site?

Yeah, I think that's the hope at this point.

I think the league needs wins by KC, Buffalo, and Cincy to void week 17 Buffalo/Cincy.     If Cincy and Buffalo win with a KC loss then both those team are getting screwed out of a chance at 1 seed.   Right? 

24 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I think the league needs wins by KC, Buffalo, and Cincy to void week 17 Buffalo/Cincy.     If Cincy and Buffalo win with a KC loss then both those team are getting screwed out of a chance at 1 seed.   Right? 

I think of it this way: there is no solution that doesn't involve some team or teams being advantaged or disadvantaged. Whether it's a seeding issue or additional bye weeks for some team(s) or the Bengals and Bills having to play again with no rest on either end of the week, there will be "football consequences," as unimportant as those are right now. So to the extent that those consequences can be limited to the two teams involved right now (the Bills and Bengals) that would probably be the least unfair outcome. And since both teams have already made the playoffs, seeding probably represents the least damage done. Again, not important right now. But that's my take.

That's my take as well.  Seeding will probably not mean as much to the Bills and Bengals after what transpired last night, God forbid Hamlin doesn't make it.
Yes, If KC were to lose to the Raiders, playing the game could have consequences, but I'm willing to bet the players won't care that much.
The NFL on the other hand is a completely different question.  Hope they keep doing the right thing here.

On a side note, I was really proud of the Cincinnati fans last night at the game.
I was expecting some Tomfuckery after the game was called, but if there was any, I didn't see or hear it.
What I saw was respect and class.  Good for all involved.

• Like 1

I went back and took a look again.
If KC should lose to the Raiders and we call the Bengals Bills game from this week a tie, the Bills would get the #1 seed.
Personally, that seems pretty fair all things considered, but that's just me.
Want to face them again and beat them?  Do what you were going to have to do to get that shot anyway?