Week 17: Bills @ Bengals

HoosierCat

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

Yeah I doubt the Bills will accept that option....

May not be their choice.   Unfortunately their player is the one who caused the cancellation, it's not to be callous or insensitive, but with a greater than 50% chance of winning the game statistically speaking at the time of stoppage, if you need to award a victory to keep things in-place, without a make-up date/game, you give it to the Bengals' instead of penalizing them with a tie in this case.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Anyone saying the Bengals had so much more of a chance to win a game against the current #1 seed, when up 7-3 after only 9 minutes had been played is silly.

If that’s the best argument they have at the moment (don’t think it is) don’t fucking do that.

They had a 57% chace of winning at the time, if the league has to make a decision...you either penalize the Bengals' for absolutely no reason, or the team who was losing and who's player caused the cancellation/suspension.  Time left etc..., doesn't matter in this case.  If it was tied then maybe you call it a tie.

It's not about feelings, or being silly, or disrespecting or coddling anyone, it's sports and business.  It's not personal, it's a business decision.  I'm not sure I 100% agree with it either, but if they are going to "award" an outcome, that is the one I would want to see.  F#k ties.  (but that's just me - sorry for tone not aimed at you AB) 

• Like 1

My thing is still to play out week 18 and see how it shakes out. There’s a very large chance there will be no reason to consider the outcome of yesterday’s game.

Why force any one particular decision now when it probably won’t make a difference in another 5 days ??

That has nothing to do with feelings, being silly or anything else INCLUDING business as usual, which this is clearly NOT. 

Not worried about it Shula. All good. Just discussing.

I think the probability that the MNF wouldn't have some meaningful impact on the standings is pretty small. Seeds 1-3 all entirely depend upon it, and the AFC North might too. Unfortunately I don't think a single solution exists that is going to be fair to everyone. A tie is terrible for the Bills, lame for the Bengals, and eliminates the Ravens in the division. A no-contest is the same. A win for the Bengals is terrible for the Bills and eliminates the Ravens in the division. Resuming the game at any point both places the players in a ridiculous psychological position and disrupts the entire NFL schedule (likely placing both the Bengals and Bills at a significant scheduling disadvantage).

The NFL will have to make an executive decision, and everyone will have to live with it. Every option sucks.

• Like 1

Florio's musings on the bad choices for which the NFL is looking for the best among the bad...

A list of possible approaches follows. There may be other options. There may be better options. These are the ones that currently come to mind.

1. Cancel the Bills-Bengals game and proceed with Week 18.

This would avoid any adjustment to the remaining schedule. The Bills-Bengals game would be declared a no contest. The practical impact would be that the Bills and Bengals would have one fewer game. Seeding for the postseason would be determined based on winning percentage.

Under the scenario, the Chiefs would capture the No. 1 seed by beating the Raiders. The Bengals would win the AFC North, regardless of the outcome of Cincinnati’s Week 18 game against the Ravens.

2. Play Bills-Bengals this weekend, and delay Week 18 by a week.

This would ensure that every team plays 17 games. But it would compel the Bills and Bengals to play fairly soon, at a time when no one else is playing. It also would eliminate the bye week between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl.

Yes, the NFL did that when rearranging the schedule in 2011 following 9/11. In those days, the Pro Bowl happened after the Super Bowl. This approach would necessitate cancellation of the reimagined approach to Pro Bowl weekend. (That definitely shouldn’t be viewed as an impediment.)

This approach also would delay by a week the conclusion of the season for teams that have no chance to make the playoffs. The teams that are already eliminated surely don’t want their seasons to linger by another week.

3. Cancel Bills-Bengals and delay Week 18.

This becomes a potentially attractive option, if players throughout the league are struggling to get themselves in the proper frame of mind to play this weekend.

It would require AFC playoff seeding to be determined by winning percentages, and it would eliminate the bye week between the conference championship and the Super Bowl. But it would give all players extra time before being expected to suit up again and play.

Again, it also would delay by a week the commencement of the offseason for the 18 teams that miss the playoffs.

4. Play Bills-Bengals during a reconfigured postseason.

This is an idea that could be getting some traction, as the league tries to come up with the best bad option.

Under this approach, Week 18 would proceed as scheduled. The following weekend, the NFC wild-card games would be played, along with Bills-Bengals. The next weekend, the AFC wild-card games would be played.

Then, the rest of the playoffs would unfold, but without the bye week between conference championships and the Super Bowl.

This would ensure that all teams play 17 games. It would give all AFC playoff teams (except the Bills and Bengals) a week off. It would give the NFC wild-card winners a week off. And the NFC No. 1 seed would go three weeks between games.

Again, there’s no perfect solution. The simplest would be to not play Bills-Bengals at all and proceed with Week 18. Whether the NFL deems that one to be the best remains to be seen.

Was at the stadium last night and sitting alongside some Bengals employees families… everyone was very concerned with what had happen to the Bills player.  Replay boards were off and no announcement other than “temporarily suspended” so if not for people using their phones, we’d had no idea what was really going on for those who couldn’t see directly .

but one idea that came up amongst bengals and bills fans is if the rumor we were hearing in the stands is true “ the bills defense refused to take the field again “ presumably because of the criticalness of the player injury, then it would mean the Bills forfeited the game.  That makes a W for the Bengals.  Now that could be the official call because the players stopped warming up and then both teams walked to the lockers , finally the Bills equipment was put away and a few minutes later the official announcement “ game postponed indefinitely “ … makes you think that the forfeit was recalled by the NFL due to the circumstances.  That would mean a No Contest is a likely scenario.  And Bills Bengals would suffer playoff seeding only…Thoughts ?

My impression of what was going on, and I was just watching from home, was that it was largely chaotic outside of the medical intervention itself. I don’t think anything said/done on the field will have any bearing on the ultimate outcome.

For the same reason I am not among those bitching about how long it took the league to suspend the game. I’m fine with them taking time to assess things and talk to everyone involved as well as the Union. They made the right call in the end and that’s what mattered.

That field at Paycor is racking up some injuries. Tua got a brain injury there this year, I think I recall him getting carted off.  Ryan Shazier received a pretty serious injury to his spine there, glad he recovered enough to walk.  Now this youngster has a heart event that almost ended his life.  Maybe every nfl field has this macabre history, I don’t pay attention to the other fields enough to know.

• Like 1

That’s not good at all.  I will say he had immediate medical attention.  I could see the gurney coming out and the AED almost simultaneously.  Then a circle of med pros blocked the view thankfully.  I hate to think the worst for him.  We were all in shock watching and hoping it would be something he could walk away from.  It was surreal.  Like being in the old video games when the ambulance would come out for CEIs… you know the player was out of the game and out of your franchise mode … then you realize that this is really happening … in the worst way .  Feel really bad for Tee too as in the football world , he was in the worst place at the worst time in such an innocent fashion.  Not that football compares  to what happened to his opponent at all, but i worry for Tee that the mental aspect of all this will hurt him.  I’m sure he has great support around him .  Proud of Joe burrow and the bengals for being such class acts .  Prayers for Damar. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, COB said:

That field at Paycor is racking up some injuries. Tua got a brain injury there this year, I think I recall him getting carted off.  Ryan Shazier received a pretty serious injury to his spine there, glad he recovered enough to walk.  Now this youngster has a heart event that almost ended his life.  Maybe every nfl field has this macabre history, I don’t pay attention to the other fields enough to know.

Definitely seems a strange voodoo but pro football is way less violent than when it was invented … hate to see any players get seriously injured though tackling always will carry the risk.  

• Like 1

Shazier had it coming.   Simply a dirty player that had no problem spearing players since his days at OSU.  It came back to bite him.

Tua was simply an idiot decision by the Dolphins or whoever they scapegoated.    Plenty of people called both of those out before hand.

Yeah Paycor stadium is not off to a great start.  

People were claiming the Bills Defense was looking like they were going to take the field.   Burrow was warming up.    Then the coaches talked with refs and that was it.    I don't think you could realistically make the Bills forfeit the game and optically that would cause a black eye.

Unfortunately at this point at least 1 team will have a grievance.   It really is choosing a path that will cause the least about of waves.

There's a step-down process to get him off coolants and observe how his organs react. I suspect this first bit of good news is that he is getting closer to breathing on his own and maybe they can take out the intubation tube. Responsiveness will be next.