Scheduled FA Visits to the Bengals 2012

membengal

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamaal Anderson is now a Bengal as well, and should fit right in with the d-line rotation.

Meh. Rucker with less pass rush in him.

Perhaps. But something to remember is that neither Rucker or Fanene had much to offer as pass rushing DEs. When they were rushing the passer, they were primarily lined up as DTs.

I don't know how much Harvey and Anderson have been used in that capacity with their previous teams... but it seems to me that Zimmer has been able to get the most out of his rotational linemen by putting them in situations where they can succeed.

Just once in a while it might be nice to start with some talent, versus the trash-to-average (hopefully) approach.

I guess I have a slightly different perspective. With the exception of Benson, none of the Bengals "trash-to-average" projects have been brought in with the intention of seeing them start. The Bengals get the majority of their starters through the draft.

In this case, Harvey and Anderson are only being asked to contribute as part of a rotation. The guys they are replacing were productive primarily because they played limited snaps in situations that Zimmer knew they could succeed. These guys are intensely talented... but for one reason or another, haven't put that talent to use.

Maybe they'll fail here too, and we'll be sad that Fanene and Rucker are playing elsewhere... but Mike Brown has a pretty good track record with these pick-ups as of late. Benson, Pacman, Nelson, and Lawson have all come in a contributed in meaningful ways after being labeled as busts with previous franchises. So I'm willing to be optimistic that these guys can fill the small void in the rotation that was left by two guys that were most often referred to as "depth" on the D-Line.

I think bobby may be done

I'd take Bobbie back in a heartbeat. Especially if they fail to get DeCastro of Glenn in the 1st round. Bobbie Williams is old, but he still gets the job done. He's a far superior RG than Clint Boling, and there's not much left in FA at this point either.

Either bring Bobbie back for one more year... or else they absolutely must use an early pick on a OG.

Hard to say about Harvey and Anderson. I suppose they should be able to fill the void left by Fanene and Rucker.

Odd how years later Rucker/Fanene > Harvery/Anderson huh ??

I know there are contributing factors to that and hopefully (FOR OUR SAKE) Zimmer can reverse that thought and get them to produce.

Sims and Collins coming back are still two of my favorite moves so far.

Still no word on Manny Lawson...

Matt Roth in for a visit too. Interesting.

Don't quote me on this, but it seems like Matt Roth has produced best in the 3-4 as opposed to the 4-3.

Also, his concussion history is a bit worrisome. All that said, I'd probably take him over Geathers.

Seems like Roth may be a possibly replacement for Lawson? I agree, he has produced better in a 3-4.

They have not addressed the WR position yet, think the should look at Cochary who is still out there I think! If not look for a WR in the first or second round.

Trade up for Blackmon? Good Lord what a WR corps we would have!

I know... I'm dreaming. :P

The Bengals are sniffing around Okoye...

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/26/2903695/bengals-scheduling-a-visit-with-free-agent-defensive-tackle-amobi#storyjump

That would be an...interesting signing. I remember loving Amobi in the draft back in '07 and he really hasn't had that bad of a career, just never lived up to the hype.

The Bengals are sniffing around Okoye...

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/26/2903695/bengals-scheduling-a-visit-with-free-agent-defensive-tackle-amobi#storyjump

That would be an...interesting signing. I remember loving Amobi in the draft back in '07 and he really hasn't had that bad of a career, just never lived up to the hype.

I think being 19 was to young for the NFL,But now that he's 24/25 I say bring him aboard would make for great depth and make DT non issue on this team.

See I will go ahead and disagree with the thought that anything we have done in FA has changed the draft strategy.

Does BJGE change us taking a RB in the first 3 rounds ?? I don't think so.

Does Wharton change us taking a OG in the first two rounds ?? It better not.

Does Allen and Jones change us taking a CB in the first two rounds ?? God I hope not.

Does Nelson change us looking at Safety ?? Depends on how they view the youngsters.

I think bringing back Collins keeps us from going OT early on, but will still get addressed.

The Sims signing still hasn't kept them from looking at more FA DT's, so if they miss there, you bet they will be taking one.

I still see them basically looking at the same positions they knew they had to before the signings.

What I hope for is the player they take just happens to be the best player available at a position of need.

In looking at the Okoye visit again and thinking they only have 8 d-linemen, who goes ??

Geathers, MJ, Dunlap, Peko, Sims, Atkins, Harvey, Anderson, and Hayden.

Even if you check off Hayden, they are still at 8.

One of the two "Rehab your career in Cincinnati" signings ??

Who knows. Regardless, camp competition is good, so this would be a very happy problem to have.

And with Marvin saying in his interview that the draft is wide open, what if they draft a higher round rookie to throw into the mix? :P

In looking at the Okoye visit again and thinking they only have 8 d-linemen, who goes ??

Geathers, MJ, Dunlap, Peko, Sims, Atkins, Harvey, Anderson, and Hayden.

Even if you check off Hayden, they are still at 8.

One of the two "Rehab your career in Cincinnati" signings ??

In 2010 the Bengals went to training camp with Ochocinco, Antonio Bryant, Jerome Simpson, Andre Caldwell, Quan Cosby, Jordan Shipley, Matt Jones, Freddie Brown, Shay Hodge, Dez Briscoe, Maurice Purify... and then they went and signed T.O. I think all 12 were on the roster at one point.

It seemed like an obvious attempt to bring a bunch of highly talented athletes in and see if any of them could actually play football. If Mike Brown brings in Roth and Okoye, it seems like that strategy is rearing it's ugly head again.

However, I will say that the situation is not exactly the same. In 2010 the Bengals were looking to find their #2 and #3 WRs. In this situation, the Bengals are looking to find a couple productive rotational players to compliment an already very talented D-Line.

Yeah, i'm just curious how it's all going to work out.

That's what camp is for, but more in looking at what the team might do or what anyone here thinks about who we currently have on the roster. Most of the questions I pose are to stir up some converstation. If you want the truth about our current d-line aquisitions, I don't like any of them and think they suck and have sucked for some time. If we get anything out of them and Zimmer pulls a rabbit out, I will be more than happy. I just don't have faith it will happen that way.