Scheduled FA Visits to the Bengals 2012

membengal

Based on some comments by Carolina Bengals fans who got to watch a lot of the Panthers last year, Wharton's problem is that he gives up too many pressures up the middle. He gave up 30, or almost 2 a game, in 2011. Fortunately for Carolina they have Cam Newton, who could just run away from the pressure. Andy can move a bit but he's not Cam, so yeah there could still be some issues at LG. Just hopefully fewer than with Livings.

Deal is 3 years, $10 million, with $4 million coming in 2012.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kamerion Wimbley anyone? I would be interested.

http://blogs.nfl.com...-take-his-time/

as would I

We definitely need that 2nd pass rushing DE to pair with Dunlap

I wonder if the team might be heading towards a 3-4 alignment by letting Fanene and Rucker walk? Problem is I'm not sure if either Atkins or Peko can hold up at NT in a 3-4.

I'd love to see them grab Wimbley. Maybe the "Hue" factor will come into play. And they need to get Sims back here if he is healthy.

Based on some comments by Carolina Bengals fans who got to watch a lot of the Panthers last year, Wharton's problem is that he gives up too many pressures up the middle. He gave up 30, or almost 2 a game, in 2011. Fortunately for Carolina they have Cam Newton, who could just run away from the pressure. Andy can move a bit but he's not Cam, so yeah there could still be some issues at LG. Just hopefully fewer than with Livings.

Deal is 3 years, $10 million, with $4 million coming in 2012.

From the article on Bengals.com, the following quote: "He played the entire 2005 and 2007 seasons and parts of '09 and last year at left tackle" - not sure if they mean he played the entire year at LT or parts, but how many of the 30 pressures he gave up where at LT? He will obviously play G for us unless injuries cause some line shuffling.

Wharton only started once at LT last season, when Gross got hurt. The other 15 games were at LG. If you want to read a very positive recap, I recommend this:

/>http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/15/2799989/2011-panther-player-season-recap-og-travelle-wharton

He played well for the texans last season. Was hoping for porter but maybe with his injurys he gets they went a different way. Maybe there is still a chance they get another CB though! Either way it's a good pick up

Porter is the younger of the players and could start for them for a couple years still hope they go after him!

I don't mind the 2 guys we Brought in so far Both Upgrades,We need find some help Dline and hopefully land Bush on Monday glad to see him not land with the Bears yet,Guessing he does want to see what Bengals offerBeing he know's he'll be the featured Back here.I'd be fine with Him Scott & Leonard.

Yea I'm hoping for d-line help as well, and could use another CB! Guard still needs help unless they draft one first round, or boling gets the start. Still hoping Reggie signs reedy said the bengals have up the price so they are in the mix. However we all know how the bengals fair when it's them against another team

Do the bengals ever sign guys and give them more then 3 years? Everybody the sign is either 1or 2 years

Well, I think we may (may!) be getting a handle on the Bangals' "number." They're fixated on 2014 and the possibility they'll have to shell out bazillions to keep guys by then. So, at least right now, they're willing to consider deals up to $3 million/year that touch 2014. But beyond that? Nope. You want $4 million/year or more and so far you either go elsewhere or you're a FA in 2013. We'll see if that changes but at the moment that seems to be where they are at.

Doesn't take much to upgrade from Livings, at least they did so - not sure about Allen, but am not complaining there, these are minimal, necessary moves.

If they don't upgrade the S and LB positions dramatically, they will not get better, those position groups on this team are possibly some of the worst in the NFL. And of course they still need a RB, WR, CB and another guard. Cook is horribly mediocre but of course that isn't going to change this year.

Sign a good LB for God's sakes, at least it's still early. I can't believe the lack of attention to that position group so far from the press/fans, their LB's are terrible, and you can't win without a leader/stud at LB in the NFL, inside or outside, you need someone who is dominating, if not more than one. Ask the Ravens and Steelers how that works.

Look, I'll reserve my judgement on the Jason Allen signing, but I will say this.....Since the Mrs. is a Dolphins fan (she grew up in Miami, nothing I can do about it) I'll tell you guys, I have seen Jason Allen play A LOT and this dude used to get burned ALL THE TIME.....He took chances and lost, but other times he just flat out got beat.

You can say "hey, he had 10 INT's the last 2 years" but that's not telling the whole story (guys like Tory James used to get us INt's but get burned as well). I didn't see him much last year with the Texans, but the year before that, he had 3 INT's in 8 games with the Dolphins THEN THEY RELEASED HIM midway through the season, the reason? Dude just kept getting beat, and couldn't cover sh*t.....I mean, they waived their former 1st Rd draft choice CB midseason. Why? So they could sign an old 36 year old Al Harris at CB who was coming off major knee surgery. They basically told the world a 36 year old with a bum knee could do a better job covering the WR's.

Who knows, maybe he made some improvement last year (a big maybe) but we'll just have to wait and see.

Personally, I have my sights set on the Draft for the answer at CB.

Well, I think we may (may!) be getting a handle on the Bangals' "number." They're fixated on 2014 and the possibility they'll have to shell out bazillions to keep guys by then. So, at least right now, they're willing to consider deals up to $3 million/year that touch 2014. But beyond that? Nope. You want $4 million/year or more and so far you either go elsewhere or you're a FA in 2013. We'll see if that changes but at the moment that seems to be where they are at.

That strategy would make a lot more sense in the NBA where you can clear the books to make a run at max offer to two superstars, and surround them with a pile of crap, in order to build a championship-caliber team (see Miami Heat). But football? Not sure you can get away with that. All it means is that they'll be in the position of signing practically an entire team in 2014. I don't see how it makes it much easier to retain their young players in that case.

Part of my strategy would depend on what I thought salaries will be doing in the post-rookie-wage-scale era. If the salary cap keeps going up but rookies get paid less, that should mean more money for mid-level vets. I think we're seeing this effect this year (Rucker, Fanene, etc), and I think it will get worse in the next few years. For that reason, I'd be trying to lock up younger FAs so that I have some bargains on the books come 2014.

Of course, I'd also be surprised if the Bengals economic advisor has considered that.