General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

13 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

The Williams thing, assuming it’s true, was probably just them doing their due diligence. I expect them to sign some OL who will be an improvement, in the same way a good solid turd is an improvement over diarrhea. And Pollack should help a lot, especially if he does something about their stubborn insistence on trying to make Michael Johnson a thing. But any real infusion of serious talent will come in the draft. 

I just don't know that the Bengals' do "due diligence" when it comes to FA's though.  Low-balling, sure, tire-kicking, yeah, being proactive and checking on all possibiliities in FA? Never!

If they just draft a mid-round Guard or two and sign a body like they did last year - I'm guessing that Burrow will be in a body cast again by the end of next season.

AJ has left the building

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/cincinnati-bengals-wide-receiver-aj-green-to-sign-with-the-arizona-cardinals

1Y 8.5M 6 is guaranteed.  wow.  good for him

Apparently Larry Fitzgerald was one of his mentors...I had no idea, but yeah, Larry is another great nondiva WR...a rare breed.

I will always be a AJ Green fan.  Even when we play him, I want him to do well.  Just an absolute classy guy and a Bengal legend

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:
For those interested he is under contract through 2022 and set to make about $9.9m this year and 10.8m next.

my understanding is Hudson was released.....as such, there is no trade involved

those salary numbers and 2 years (even at his age, given 2020 performance) are very doable tho if a trade is required

11 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

my understanding is Hudson was released,,,,,,,as such, there is no trade involved

Yeah I thought so too but like Jackson it seems he hasn‘t actually been cut. New from Florio:

From that story:

The Raiders are set to trade or release left guard Richie Incognito, center Rodney Hudson, right guard Gabe Jackson, and right tackle Trent Brown,

So basically their whole line is up for grabs.

I am very confused.....tons of reports say he was released, now we see Raiders trying to trade him......was he released or not?

For now, Im going to assume that all the reports of him being released were clickbait from the Raiders in an attempt to draw interest to a trade

If we're going after a trade - I'd rather trade for Havenstein than Hudson......but I'd happily give our r6 pick for Hudson

Yeah, Havenstein too. I think I saw the Rams are accepting 2023 draft picks as compensation in trades so there’s no freakin excuse. Bengals are just waiting until 4 in hopes someone they like gets cut (and in that case will probably get snapped up by some other team).

• Like 1

Unbelievable to me that they have not addressed their gigantic need at O-line considering our QB circumstance.  

Yes, the defense was historically bad and needed a talent infusion.  Glad they did something.  Their refusal to address the o-line last off-season absolutely wrecked their season last fall.  They’re getting ready to do it again.  Mike’s a know-it-all, condescending, dickhead.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, COB said:

Their refusal to address the o-line last off-season absolutely wrecked their season last fall.

as well as a certain knee

agreed on everything you said, COB.

in the next half hour or so, I think a lot of releases (which will include OLs) are going to occur, because if I understand things correctly, all teams must be under the cap by 4pm today

Joisey, is that correct?

13 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

as well as a certain knee

agreed on everything you said, COB.

in the next half hour or so, I think a lot of releases (which will include OLs) are going to occur, because if I understand things correctly, all teams must be under the cap by 4pm today

Joisey, is that correct?

As far as I’m aware, yes.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

so there's no waivers to clear?

If you are vested vet there are no waivers; they become UFA.   That's why you can't be completely go off the hook blaming the Bengals.

1. The vet could have a trade clause or something

2. The host team could do them a solid and release.  Some vets would rather be UFA vs. a new team picking up their contract

3. The accepting team would want to negotiate or confirm the player is alright with their contract to avoid sitting out etc.

For example Havenstein is set to make $14mil next two years.   Not gauranteed.  So he probably wants to get cut so he would have a chance at a new contract with a signing bonus.    So a team trading for him would have to know that situation going into to it or they could be facing a hold out or whatever.

39 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, Havenstein too. I think I saw the Rams are accepting 2023 draft picks as compensation in trades so there’s no freakin excuse. Bengals are just waiting until 4 in hopes someone they like gets cut (and in that case will probably get snapped up by some other team).

Not exactly.   As explained above.   All speculation but there COULD BE reasons why you don't trade or delay.   If the player is dead set on wanting a new contract you clearly do not want to trade forcing that player to accept playing on their current deal.   That's just asking for Cody Glenn all over.   So a delay could and/or trade could hinge on that player's contract demands.